distance vs. control

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby rodman » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:13 pm

another good candidate for the goto is the Star TL. She's straight, durable and long enough. They arent the longest but you'll reach that bottom/mid range of your desired distance of drive. I cant get my TL out to 350 but it's 290 straight and dependable.
rodman
Noob

Postby Weebl » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:42 am

if they only made the TL in DX...
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:16 am

it would be mad flippy in dx...

the newer dx eagle EL's fly more like the old school TL's than the newer TL's do.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby MrTasses » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:44 pm

I always wondered what was meant by the tbird not being very versatile.

i find the problem is that very rarely do you want shots that have a "static" angle behavior.

I am a little surprised to hear that. It seems much more reliable on a hole to break it down into parts. Throw the long sweeping anny. From there, throw the 75' hyzer approach. Putt out.

I certainly don't have a big arm, so I am forced to do a lot of breaking down of shots. But how reliable is a shot that involves that much manipulation on a fairway that must be somewhat narrow to not be able to flaten the turns.
MrTasses
Tree Magnet

Postby trogdor » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:06 pm

Blake_T wrote:i find the problem is that very rarely do you want shots that have a "static" angle behavior.

there are a few shots teebirds can't perform:
1) big s-curve in a reasonable amount of height
2) turnover roller
3) wide hyzer (i.e. 50' out to the right, 50' back).
4) gentle hyzer flip s

the teebird will definitely hold angles, but the downside is that its characteristics aren't very conducive to a lot of shots that have full flight manipulation.

Hmmm. I'm guessing you are talking about DX medium wear Tee-Birds. I've had some different experiences OR I don't understand the terminology.

1. Star plastic Tee-Bird thrown anny? (I don't carry one of these anymore because it just wasn't what I was looking for, but found this disc would come out of an anny for me.)
2 and 4. Thrashed Pro? I love my thrashed pro 160g Tee Bird!
3. 50' latteral!??! :shock: Yeah, that's a bit much for a Tee-Bird, however, I find straight flyers great for sweeping hyzers.
Pred, Wraith, TeeBird, Eagle, Whippet, Cobra, Rhyno, Arrow
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:35 pm

i was referring to dx teebirds only.

both the champ and star will perform #1.
a beat pro that has been warped will do #2, but they aren't stable enough to do #4 as they won't s back far. that is the same reason dx's aren't good for #4 either.

as for #3... unless it's a champ or star teebird, it won't perform a symmetrical parabolic shape... the only way you can get it to fade back substantially is to put it out high and stall it as they just don't bite hard enough if you get them wide (i would say 30' wide is just outside it's range as well). this wouldn't be an issue, but the cyclone, old mold eagle, dx valkyrie, jls, and to a lesser extent, the dx gazelle will all perform this shot better.
Blake_T

Hyzer Flips and Discs that Bite!

Postby trogdor » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:49 pm

Always learning, keep it coming!

So a hyzer flip should flip to flat (or a little past) then S back to the left? (rhbh)
I love climbing hills with my thrashed tee-bird. Aiming left, thrown hyzer parallel to the hill, it flips to flat to slightly past flat, and usually lands before it gets a chance to fade left unless I get it way too high.

It sounds like it should be fading more. Right?

Bite hard enough if you get them wide...I'm having trouble visualizing this. Is this knifing cleanly through the air or more of a sideways "airbounce" type of flight? Off to experiment with a cyclone.

-*-* symmetrical parabolic shape = true arc? (my brain is full, can I go home)
Pred, Wraith, TeeBird, Eagle, Whippet, Cobra, Rhyno, Arrow
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:30 pm

a hyzer flip is basically a disc that starts on a hyzer angle and changes angle towards or beyond flat.

that is, there are several flavors:
1) flattens
2) flattens and turns over and holds the turn
3) flattens and turns over and fades back.

It sounds like it should be fading more. Right?

to be a hyzer flip S-curve, yes, it should S back pronounced.

Bite hard enough if you get them wide...I'm having trouble visualizing this. Is this knifing cleanly through the air or more of a sideways "airbounce" type of flight? Off to experiment with a cyclone.

-*-* symmetrical parabolic shape = true arc? (my brain is full, can I go home)

basically, picture some triangles...
the shot i'm talking about is kind of like an equliateral triangle (60 degrees on each vertex, equal length sides). turn it sideways so the left leg is vertical... then trace an approximate rounded arc inside the two right legs.

a dx teebird is not capable of perform this shot over long distances with great proficiency.

the teebird WILL do a 30/60/90 right triangle (picture the long leg of a triangle on the left side vertical and the 30 degree vertex at the bottom). trace the arc.

i wouldn't call it a sideways air bounce... as this is more of a sweeping hyzer to me. 20-45 degrees of hyzer angle depending upon disc stability.
Blake_T

Re: Hyzer Flips and Discs that Bite!

Postby Weebl » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:31 pm

trogdor wrote:I love climbing hills with my thrashed tee-bird. Aiming left, thrown hyzer parallel to the hill, it flips to flat to slightly past flat, and usually lands before it gets a chance to fade left unless I get it way too high.

For me uphill shots work best when only slightly turned over (only if the disc is conducive to a s-flight pattern such as valkyrie, beast, eagle, ect.) if with a teebird I get my most distance when flipping to flat, as when it turns over it will start losing altitude (same with Rocs that aren't new...)
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ApesOfWrath » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:40 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:I would agree w/ tree, a good control driver such as a cyclone, gazelle or teebird (cyclone and gazelle being versitle and teebird being straight).

I gotta say, I picked up a worn dx gazelle at play it again today, and it was awesome. Thanks for the recommendation.
ApesOfWrath
Tree Magnet

Previous

Return to Equipment