What disc raises the most eybrows on the course

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What disc raises the most eybrows on the course

Postby trogdor » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:27 pm

I have some unpopular discs in my setup that people see me pull out of the bag and give this reaction :roll: ?

Probably the biggest pre-throw reaction is the Quarter K. It's funny how many people trash this disc because of what they've heard about the disc.

The other is the Arrow. "How do you putt with that thing? I heard they were junk."

What are your favorite discs others love to hate?
Pred, Wraith, TeeBird, Eagle, Whippet, Cobra, Rhyno, Arrow
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Postby Solty » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:41 pm

i carry a trusty dusty 86 softie for trick shots within 75-100 ft...the disc will fly every whichway and tends to stay put on the ground. If someone asked to see it..they get wierded out by its flexibility as well as its unique touch.

other than that...i saw someone carry a jaguar or zephyr..i dont remeber which and everyone around was in aww because of the massive size of it.

Mike
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Eric O » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:47 pm

My friend has a champ classic roc. I give him shit every time he throws it, cause I hate watching it float to the right and not come back yet I know it will happen anyway. Man I hate that disc.

Another friend of mine uses an Epic for forehand rollers. It looks like he is getting ready to roll the dice every time he steps up to tee off with it.

Of course everything I throw is money. 8)
Last edited by Eric O on Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jgarcia9102 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:48 pm

theyre not exactly unpopular, But i play with a guy who has probably 5-6 CE discs in his bag, including firebirds, teebirds, the 2001 Roc, and a Valk. some people start freakin out when they see a $200 disc thrown in the mud. What they dont realise is that he has 5 more in the car...
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Big Discs

Postby trogdor » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:53 pm

Probably the most respected Denver player, John Bird, does amazing things with the Condor.
Pred, Wraith, TeeBird, Eagle, Whippet, Cobra, Rhyno, Arrow
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Postby adidadg » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:44 pm

Mine would be my Z-putt'r, which is along the same lines as the 86 softie mentioned earlier. I love it for finesse turnover approach shots with no fade what so ever. its also so floaty it fill fly pretty far being just a foot or two off the ground, great for wooded holes. Its very useful for certain situations, I think everyone should have a disc like this in their bag!

Good question !
adidadg

Re: What disc raises the most eybrows on the course

Postby The Clergyman » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:01 pm

trogdor wrote:The other is the Arrow. "How do you putt with that thing? I heard they were junk."

Totally got me on that one. The Arrow is a disc that I began with (a lot had to do with what people said about it in the reviews here) and have never left out of my bag ... I've even tried to get rid of it. Bottom line, it is without peer as a short-range side-arm disc (for me). It might have something to do with my Ultimate past, but it never fails me. I'm even looking at getting a new one again (it takes a while but they do beat up eventually).
Great disc. But, oh the looks I get when people see it in my bag.
Fun question.
Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.
~Dr.Seuss
The Clergyman
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z XL...or not

flick

Postby twmccoy » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:48 pm

I've gotten some strange looks while tossing the flick, but this disc is among the best utility/overstable discs out there and I use it for a variety of shots. No one else seems to use them either, so I keep every one I find in lakes. Right now I have about 6.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Jwt4412 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:53 pm

This is a set up, right?

No one else seems to use them either, so I keep every one I find in lakes. Right now I have about 6.

I'll bite...

If nobody else uses them, how did 6 of them get in the lake?

I feel dirty... dirty. ...dirty.
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby roadkill » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:11 pm

2001 Masters world champion Joey Mela carries a yellow discraft phantom. Anytime he pulls it out you should pay attention cause he's about to do something special. It's his go to disc for a number of specialty trick shots.

I believe he's been carrying that same yellow phantom for as long as I've known him (1988).
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby daevidcardiac » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:37 am

ha, yeah i have a phantom and people are like 'is this even a disc golf disc?'
yuk
daevidcardiac
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:25 am

Where I'm from, the demon and wizard got some strange looks. Some of the players are getting out and playing tournements and are starting to learn about Gateway.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby daevidcardiac » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:40 am

where im from you get strange looks if you dont have a demon and wizard.
yuk
daevidcardiac
Noob

Postby garublador » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:52 am

Nearly every time someone asks me, "What disc was that, dude?" after a throw the answer is, "A Wizard, it's made by Gateway."
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Weebl » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:47 am

Heh, definatly the Wizard. The Epic (overhand thumbers/tommies) is also one of the discs people ask "is that even concidered a disc?" The local legends player, Dr. Stancil Johnson, uses 200g Jaguars for his forehand rollers. He's a man.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Equipment