Upgrading my wifes bag

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Upgrading my wifes bag

Postby Seneca_22 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:18 am

My wife is somewhat if a natural at disc golf. I've seen her rip a 300 foot drive and make putts from over a hundred feet away. She's only played a handful of times the past couple years, but now she's regularly attending Sunday league, and Wednesday doubles.

I would like to upgrade her bag a little if I could. Here's what she has right now.

DX Gazelle 147
Star Valk 150
Star Orc 162
SS Wizard 172
Star Aviar 168
Wolf 160
Element 170
MRX 168

I'm trying to get her to settle on one putter. She likes her Aviar because it's pink. I'm also looking for an upgrade to her Wolf, but she really likes that disc. Does she need a Gazelle if she has a Valk? It does seem to fly a little bit more understable for her. Her Orc is her overstable wind disc for now.

while she can crank one 300 feet, she normall throws about 180 to 220 feet. Suggestions please.
Seneca_22
Tree Magnet

Postby zealot » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:30 am

looks allright really. drop the wolf if anything. have her use the gazelle for shots that need accuracy and the valk for distance driving..
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby black udder » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:57 am

I'd pick her up a 150g star teebird for something that's fairly overstable. It'll handle more than you'd imagine.

An alternative or companion to the valk would be a champ 150g sidewinder. Orange seems to be the most stable, but it could be just the run. They have a little more speed than the valk but both are great discs.

There's a lot of discs here with similar ranges:

SS Wizard 172
Star Aviar 168
Wolf 160
Element 170
MRX 168

I'd be inclined to have 2 wizards or 2 aviars just so the consistency in feel and expectation is there.

Then keep one of the wolf, element, MRX. can't imagine she needs all three. The element should be able to do it all and it'll help her game if she can learn that as well. Perhaps as time goes by, she'll add another element and keep the beat one.

Edit: Oh, one more - a friend of mine throws in this range (super accurate as well) and uses a few stratus. he uses them to hyzer flip and fade to the right or dead straight. Pretty much in the 200-280 range. Over 280' a 150g valk or 150g sidewinder, under 200' (and flat or downhill) and it's a putter.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Re: Upgrading my wifes bag

Postby RS39 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:18 pm

Find her a pink Wizard ;)

For a wife who plays, free, I offer modestly used:

166 Aurora MS- good mid-approach disc, just goes a bit up/right when huked hard, replaced by heavier Q and S versions

177 Star Stingray- good glidey mid-fairway range, esp for holding to the right, replaced by a Timberwolf

179 Wolf- an experiment in rightish holes, gladly replaced by the Aurora and Stingray, I don't suggest it unless you just need to try max weight
Jokeri, Wasp, Fuse, Timberwolf, PD, Predator
RS39
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Earthless@Roadburn

Postby arowan21 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:25 pm

My girlfriend loves her Buzzz. Her drivers are a XL and Xpress. Aviar for her putter. I keep trying to get her to come out to tourneys and play with other women, but shes too nervous.
"If you have a choice to use any company, if you have a choice to use Innova, discraft, and gateway in your bag, without a doubt you have a competitive advantage over the other players who aren't doing that. Without a doubt." - David McCormack
arowan21
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DGA Squall

Postby Seneca_22 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:32 pm

Oh I plan on getting her into tournaments come spring time.

Thanks for the offer on the discs too.
Seneca_22
Tree Magnet

Postby Steady 26542 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:33 pm

arowan21 wrote:My girlfriend loves her Buzzz. Her drivers are a XL and Xpress. Aviar for her putter. I keep trying to get her to come out to tourneys and play with other women, but shes too nervous.

Hey, at least she's playing!! And more importantly, you're spending quality time with her... and getting some rounds in yourself... 8)
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby RS39 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:25 pm

arowan21 wrote:My girlfriend loves her Buzzz.

http://www.emusic.com/album/10606/10606885.html

Jokeri, Wasp, Fuse, Timberwolf, PD, Predator
RS39
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Earthless@Roadburn

Postby adidadg » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:19 am

my wife's setup is:

150 Star teebird
150 Dx teebird
150 Dx teebird -thrashed

167 Pink ProLine (Candy) Spider

172 JK Aviar

she really likes the teebirds, the thrashed dx is the only disc she's been able to turnover consistently which was her biggest challenge when she used to throw heavier understable molds.
adidadg

Postby metal » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:20 am

she sounds really hot
RATTLE THE CAGE!!!
metal
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby jeremy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:14 am

Seneca_22 wrote:Oh I plan on getting her into tournaments come spring time.

That's the worst thing my wife done. I started taking her to tournaments with me and she started playing in them. There were maybe 2 other women at the tournaments she played in and none at some. They started putting her with the REC Men, and that turned he off to tournaments, so now she just goes and shops in whatever city we are in or stays at home and works.
jeremy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 178gr Comet

Postby cmlasley » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:37 am

My wife's bag contains:

150g KC Pro Gazelle - Headwinds, must-hyzers
165g DX Gazelle - Workhorse
150g DX Gazelle - Supa-beat for turnovers
150g Pro TL - Max D (Glide to spare)

171g DX Roc - Workhorse Mid
150g S Element X - More workable lines than the Roc

170g S Wizard - Putt and Approach

I definitely think there is room in your wife's bag for a Gazelle and a Valk. Gazelles fly way differently than Valks for my wife (she used to throw 150g Champ Valks for Max D). They fly way differently for me, for that matter. Does she like the Gazelle? My wife loves them, especially her bright pink KC Pro that is quite overstable for her (and straight as anything for me).
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby Seneca_22 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:55 pm

Nice to see some other Gazelle users, maybe she can stick w/those. Need to get her another Wizard or Aviar so she can decide on a putter.

Would it be okay to get her say an Avenger SS or Roadrunner to help with anhiezer shots?
Seneca_22
Tree Magnet

Postby arowan21 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:21 pm

Seneca_22 wrote:Would it be okay to get her say an Avenger SS or Roadrunner to help with anhiezer shots?

Probably not... those are pretty stiff. Try a eagle, 150 valk, XS
"If you have a choice to use any company, if you have a choice to use Innova, discraft, and gateway in your bag, without a doubt you have a competitive advantage over the other players who aren't doing that. Without a doubt." - David McCormack
arowan21
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DGA Squall

Postby Seneca_22 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:25 pm

jeremy wrote:That's the worst thing my wife done. I started taking her to tournaments with me and she started playing in them. There were maybe 2 other women at the tournaments she played in and none at some. They started putting her with the REC Men, and that turned he off to tournaments, so now she just goes and shops in whatever city we are in or stays at home and works.

Yeah, the tournaments I'm going to take her to, I know there are women players, even enough for the separate divisions, so it should be all good.
Seneca_22
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Equipment