Building a basket

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Building a basket

Postby Glock23 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:17 am

My wife and I just bought our first house, so now I can put in a basket! I want something permanent or close to it. Right now I can't afford to spend the $3-400 a name brand basket. Have any of you built one from plans? I saw some on ebay and was thinking about giving them a try. Any thoughts, suggestions, advice?
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby deaddisc » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:58 am

The tire-style of homemade baskets are not too bad, although the look ghetto as hell. I dont have any plans/schematics, but I have used them with relative success. Also, you can just purchase a cheap portable for prob. 50$ more than you will spend on making your own.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:14 am

the main site has links to I believe three plans for homemade baskets. I know theres a guy somewhere who sells plans for a basket using stuff you can get from home depo (mostly garden section). Ive thrown on a couple baskets made with these plans and they werent bad at all.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby The Clergyman » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:25 pm

I'm making some pretty sturdy portables right now, but while it's my design, I can't weld. I have a friend with a mig welder so he really does all the work. Obviously they're steel.
But check this guy out. He's got a neat BLOG going on the subject.
http://chaaaching.blogspot.com/
There are more ideas here than ... Catholics in Rome :? Uh ... than lawsuits at Microsoft :lol: ... how about ... Krispy Kremes in Oprah's fridge :shock:
Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.
~Dr.Seuss
The Clergyman
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z XL...or not

Postby Glock23 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:59 pm

Any pics clergy? What are you using for chains? That site was interesting by the way.
I want something that looks nice, the tire thing is just to white trash west virginia style for me. I think I would also have to have an old trans am up on blocks in my yard for that basket to feel at home (or even better, a firebird or t-bird). I am trying to avoid paying $20 for plans if I can do it myself or if someone already has the plans. Help!
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby gorillaboy » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:23 pm

I used pvc pipe once for a basket it worked really nice too.. had string for the basket i tied it through holes i drilled in the pipe and tied it all togther like a net and i used dog chain i hung the chain from screw hooks and linked the chain together at the bottom with a 3 inch key ring...i used the basket for like 3 years till i broke the leg and did'nt get around to replace it so i gave it away
gorillaboy
King of the Jungle

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby jgarcia9102 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:14 pm

Lightning DB-5 is $180 shipped to your door, is galvanized to stay outdoors, and you know its not going to randomly fall apart like a homemade basket can. i think its your best bet there...
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:29 pm

i wouldn't recommend buying the plans for the basket... as it really costs about $120 to make the basket heh. granted you can make more than one... but the tire one is better.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:34 pm

they are really simple designs using the 3 or 4 inch tall "fences" used to keep grass out of a garden, and chicken wire to bottom the basket.

Personally I would perfer to desin my own, but I love making stuff so thats no surprise.

my school allows you to take up to 9 credits at the community college free of charge if they dont offer the class. Im planning on taking welding in the next 6 months, mabey one of my projects will be a basket :roll: :D
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby OldTyme » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:50 am

Congrats on the new house.

I just bought my first one recently ( I'm 34 btw )

As far as a basket I can recommend an InStep.

I only paid $68 shipped from Ebay (of course I'm a very good ebayer lol)

I added an inner set of chains ($20) and it works like a charm.

I don't leave mine outside though. It's light enough too easily move back into the garage when I'm done.

Next year I am going to buy a perm basket though.

Just a thought.

By time you end up buying all the stuff too make one you could buy an InStep.

If you are interested I can find the seller I bought mine from. He does a basket a week "auction style" and you can really end up stealing one if you're patient.
OldTyme
Tree Magnet

Postby kvanorsdel » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:12 am

I have made a couple of baskets and the biggest expense is the chain. I made a basket with a kid I mentored for his alternative school out of a 60 gal plastic barrell. It looked only somewhat ghetto because we used an old portable basketball pole for the pipe.

I have a DiscCatcher Sport that I really like. I haven't seen the need to add inner chains and it cathes great in my opinion. I've seen these baskets on ebay for $175 shipping included and would say it is well worth the price.
kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

Postby The Clergyman » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:29 am

Glock23 wrote:Any pics clergy? What are you using for chains? That site was interesting by the way.
I want something that looks nice, the tire thing is just to white trash west virginia style for me. I think I would also have to have an old trans am up on blocks in my yard for that basket to feel at home (or even better, a firebird or t-bird). I am trying to avoid paying $20 for plans if I can do it myself or if someone already has the plans. Help!

Here's the thing. You mentioned that you prefer a permenant basket. The ones I make are good but not perms. They cost about $60 each (indeed the chain is the most $ part). Plus, they are a lot of work. I buy full lengths of 1/4 inch round steel (about $4 for 20 feet) and then bend the rings by hand. That's not too hard if you use a truck rim or a concrete garbage can or something like that as the guide. But again, it's a lot of bending, a lot of cutting steel a lot of welding and a lot of time. After all that, they are slightly heavy for portables (I use a cast iron umbrella stand to hold the pole. They're actaully pretty cheap). And the big drawback is there is no real protection from rust and the elements. Yes, you give em a good Tremclad-ing or some other paint, but they're not anodized or coated in any way. Mine don't sit out through the elements.
All that said, if you want something permenant you could up the guage of my design but then you'd have a serious tussle trying to bend it.
Other than that, I also throw in with the InStep. I have one and I love it. I'd have more but I'm in Canada and they won't ship here (getting the first one was struggle enough). It cost me $125 to get that basket, but as a citizen of the Land of the Brave, I think the guy previous to me is correct; you can get this from eBay really cheap. They are good baskets.
Presently I'm trying to buy some perm's for our course and I'm really liking the Turbo 24 (Gateway) and the Octopus (Discin).
Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.
~Dr.Seuss
The Clergyman
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z XL...or not

Postby Glock23 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:56 am

I think I will end up just buying the instep, and storing it in the garage when not in use. Did you have to do anything to your instep to help it catch, or was it good out of the box?
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby OldTyme » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:18 am

No. I added a set of inner chains.

I tried a few different configurations but found the above too be the best way. This setup really catches.
I tried a setup similar too a Mach 3 with a smaller loop & the larger loop but it fought the disc from entering.

Just buy some 2" S-Hooks & some chain (I forget the size) & a 7 inch bronze loop (which I have spares of & would send you one...they were the hardest too find. :roll: )

The only beef I have with the InStep is I think the area with the chains is too large. The Mach 3 (which is all we have in this area) is smaller.
OldTyme
Tree Magnet

Postby sleepy » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:05 am

I think a portable basket is better for practice because you can move it around the yard to better simulate the different shots you'll encounter on the course. I do this with my Discatcher Sport and it works great...hyzers around the tree, high slow anhyzer shots up and over the garage, etc. Then I can move the basket and start all over again. :)

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Next

Return to Equipment