Question concerning Disc Selection Overlap

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Question concerning Disc Selection Overlap

Postby alphafrolfer » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:16 pm

As I attempt to make a good bag that works well for me I discovered I had a few questions concerning the 5 types of drivers that Blake recommends.
I currently use:
1. Slightly worn Dx Teebird (any other Innova Dx alternatives?)
2. Dx Wraith
3. Beat Dx Beast
4. I dont really have one for this category does Dx Wraith fit this? (moderatly overstable driver)
5. need recommendations for this one too (Very overstable driver)

As for mid-ranges I just use 3 rocs with different stages of wear and use firm wizard for longer approaches/drives and med wizard for putting.

I normally prefer to use Innova in Dx plastic for the majority of my discs but am open to other options if they are truely better (yet would still like to only throw the low-grade plastic)

On that same note which of the discraft plastic is the low grade? is the Z like Star and X like champ or what?

Thanks for the help guys.
alphafrolfer
Noob

Postby Frontman311 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:30 pm

I dunno man, I haven't been diggin the Star plasitc but the TeeRex really is a compliment to the Wraith ( I don't even throw Wraiths though); but it's just more stable and might make that "moderately overstable" driver. I really think it does just compare to a faster Teebird (which I see you throw). It's also good in the wind I hear. Don't bother throwing Discraft (heehee). The TeeRex in Star plastic will also stay consistent for a while, which I believe is one draw towards that "premium" plastic...plus it's the latest and greatest, so buy a lot and profit later!

It also seems like it'd be good since you throw the Teebird and Wraith, 'cause some people would say the Teebird compares to the TR, while the TR compares to the Wraith, so if you threw all three you might do something good for game.
Stay positive and love your life.
Frontman311
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:59 pm

as a whole, discraft's overstable plastic surpasses innova's. i've written about this before. discraft just makes many more overstable drivers and the odds say that they will have better overstable technology.

the teerex isn't true high speed stable.

the original monster mold is, but the 2nd and 3rd molds aren't.

the firebird is, but the FL is not.

consult my "best of" awards to see my favored overstable drivers.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby alphafrolfer » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:41 pm

ya i think im gonna get a z crush as u recommend from the best of awards and also a firebird and test out both.

Also I've been reading through the article about building distance from the ground up and can get a good hard snap 75%+ of the time on a full stroke although thats when im standing here without a disk in my hand :lol: . Now I just have to translate that to my actual throw which is all velocity and no snap and hopefully say good bye to my 320 feet of power.

I just wanted to say I appreciate what you have done for the community with this great resource and its nice to not only learn stuff from the site but to see that the little things I've picked up and have used over the last 4 years of playing are actually along the lines of the correct way to do things.

Thanks again
alphafrolfer
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:49 am

the crush and firebird aren't really substitutes to each other as the crush isn't true stable and would fall into the 4 category while the firebird is a 5.

in terms of true 5's, i feel the z pred is probably the best of the bunch.

the teerex is an anomoly, in that it is a 4 on the high speed but fades like a 5.
Blake_T

Postby alphafrolfer » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:05 am

I'm sorry if this is a retarded question but what do u mean when you say 4's and 5's. I'm assuming is some type of stability rating.

As of right now I have nothing in my bag that is overstable (got by with just making stable disks work for me) so I'm trying to just try a couple out and see what does what. I might have to look at a z pred also.
alphafrolfer
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:46 am

4 = moderately overstable driver
5 = very overstable driver
Blake_T

Return to Equipment