Rancho and San Marino Rocs

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Rancho and San Marino Rocs

Postby cmlasley » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:44 pm

:oops: :mrgreen:

It didn't seem that long when I was typing it.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby Working Stiff » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:43 pm

cmlasley wrote:Unfortunately, a lot of players say that a disc is stable when they mean overstable.
People do that so often I don't even notice when it happens.

One of my good friends does this, but he changes his inflection and emphasizes it more and more as the disc gets more overstable. He will actually say sentences like "A Viking is stable, but a Firebird is STABLE! He still can't figure out why that confuses the Hell out of everybody.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby sleepy » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:28 am

cmlasley wrote:It didn't seem that long when I was typing it.

Heh, I didn't mean it like that. I just meant that it was a very informative and definitive, and that for all intents and purposes the thread is pretty much over after your post.

But, this is a Roc thread on DGR, so we all know that won't really be the case. :lol:

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby JR » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:12 am

sleepy wrote:
cmlasley wrote:It didn't seem that long when I was typing it.

Heh, I didn't mean it like that. I just meant that it was a very informative and definitive, and that for all intents and purposes the thread is pretty much over after your post.

But, this is a Roc thread on DGR, so we all know that won't really be the case. :lol:

sleepy

Was that my cue to write a long post? No I'm late somebody else already got the long post comment... :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Working Stiff » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:25 pm

I'm dismayed at this negativity about Roc threads.

Hey, we are disc golfers who talk about golf discs. New guys come one here and ask questions. ALL of them will have been told that they need to throw a Roc. ALL of them are confused what the (bleep) the difference is between a Classic Roc, a San Marino Roc, an Ontario Roc, a Rancho Roc, a KC Roc, and those confounded $100+ Champ Rocs. We need to be here for them.

For us to refuse to answer questions about Rocs and posting a sticky is like a doctor saying "I'm tired of all these damn people coming to me with the flu and wasting my time. Just put a note on the door telling them to stay in bed and drink O.J. until they feel better." You might be able to figure that out from reading Web M.D., but you want the doctor to see you and talk directly to you.

We are disc doctors, and the Roc is a flu bug that will never go away. If the endless deluge of Roc threads drive you crazy, don't post on them. I will, I don't mind. I can talk about Rocs all day! :P
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby dgdave » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:59 pm

Sorry, stiff. It won't happen again

Dr. Dave is on the clock and ready to treat what ails ya
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby tumpsi » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:45 pm

I'd appreciate the Bible of Rocs. And Aviars.
Max Boss Teebird Roc Wizard
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Working Stiff » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:21 am

tumpsi wrote:I'd appreciate the Bible of Rocs. And Aviars.
Ha! I've always wondered why I hear people complain about Rocs being confusing when there are at least as many (if not more) versions of the Aviar floating around out there. Somehow all those different Aviars don't seem to be a problem, but three Roc molds keep people awake at night.

We could do a sticky on explaining the different mold changes to Innova discs. Actually, now that I think about it, with the space that would take we might need to start an entirely new web site. :P

But you are right, I think a sticky will help a lot of people since some people really will not post and just come here to look stuff up. I really just don't like the trend of jumping down people's throat about doing a search before posting. New guys are going to make redundant posts, that is just the way it is. But a Roc sticky will help, since part of the problem is that when you search for "Roc" it brings up every thread on this site!
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby sleepy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:10 am

Working Stiff wrote:I'm dismayed at this negativity about Roc threads.

I have no negativity towards Roc threads. I just thought the picture was fitting. :P

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Bradley Walker » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:26 am

Oh, DX Roc!!!

Why can't I quit you????

I try and try and I just keep coming back...

When I throw the DX Roc, I actually impress myself sometimes. The Champ/Star Rancho Rocs are great for open high wind courses, but nothing beats the DX Rancho and DX San Marino when the tunnels get tight and the glide needs to be straight.

I played in C tier yesterday and I grabbed a new 180 gram DX San Marino out of my spare bag and played the whole tourney with that one Roc. I banged one out of the basket at 300 feet.

So, for my payout I grabbed some totally awesome DX Ranchos (this new DX plastic is kind of awesome). I have two San Marinos.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby disc_golfing_fool » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:10 pm

I Like Rocs. :D
~~~some rise, some fall, some climb to get to Terrapin~~~
~~peace.love.disc~~

OM
disc_golfing_fool
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby felixtibs » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:00 pm

I bought a Dx multi purpose roc from Marshall street last month. Is this an ontario roc?
felixtibs
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Swift Fox

Postby dgdave » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:44 pm

Rancho. Look at the engraving on the back. It will have the address and that tells the mold
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby rehder » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:09 am

I just thought about some very simple guidance for Roc's.

If you throw under 300feet with rocs(distance lines dont count) = Play with any DX Roc
1) The differences in the different molds can be quite subtle, and you will most likely appreciate the difference more, the better your technique is.
2) Normal DX Rocs (which are Ranchos atm.) can be beat in to do the same thing the other Rocs can, it will just take a little longer.
3) The best Roc mold is the current mold (because it can be used in place of the others when worn in), and when new can be used for some nice headwind hyzers
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jsw » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:41 pm

I'm late to this show, but I feel like adding something.

If you haven't tried an Ontario Roc yet, DO IT. I have 4 rocs - 3 Ranchos and 1 ontario. I was very "Ehh...'' originally about the thought of a Roc that wasn't the standard mold. But I got it for free so I figured why not give it a whirl - and I'm glad I did. It is $$$ for smooth turnover shots. It glides forever. Its a much gentler turn than my most beat in Rancho - and for some reason its just a lot easier to shape turn over lines with. And don't worry about it turning into crap too early in DX. Mine is DX and I throw it quite a bit. Yes it has lost some stability but it was very gradual and I'm positive it will be usable for just as long as a ''standard'' Rancho Roc would last. As long as you know how to release it. I would recommend it getting it heavy(mine is 180g) though because it helps keep the break-in gradual IMO.
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment