Rancho and San Marino Rocs

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Rancho and San Marino Rocs

Postby Bradley Walker » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:57 pm

San Marino=seasoned Rancho.

They finish so straight I cannot get used to it...
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:20 pm

How do the new sannies beat in?
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby rusch_bag » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:11 pm

I would like to hear an answer to the question in the post above mine.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby rehder » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:04 am

Jsw wrote:I'm late to this show, but I feel like adding something.

If you haven't tried an Ontario Roc yet, DO IT. I have 4 rocs - 3 Ranchos and 1 ontario. I was very "Ehh...'' originally about the thought of a Roc that wasn't the standard mold. But I got it for free so I figured why not give it a whirl - and I'm glad I did. It is $$$ for smooth turnover shots. It glides forever. Its a much gentler turn than my most beat in Rancho - and for some reason its just a lot easier to shape turn over lines with. And don't worry about it turning into crap too early in DX. Mine is DX and I throw it quite a bit. Yes it has lost some stability but it was very gradual and I'm positive it will be usable for just as long as a ''standard'' Rancho Roc would last. As long as you know how to release it. I would recommend it getting it heavy(mine is 180g) though because it helps keep the break-in gradual IMO.

If you dont have the greatest D, I would reccommend following Blake's weightghuide for throwing Rocs, instead of just grabbing a 180g roc. The extra weight will cost you distance

How do the new sannies beat in?

I bought one 174g Worlds 08 Sannie, I have used it some but the dx plastic feels a little different than regular dx rancho, its stiffer and doesnt seem to wear very fast at all. I have a DX Ontarion roc in a similar kind of plastic, though its even more resilient, feels almost like KC. That and the fact that I usually carry 3-5 different rocs in the bag means it takes a while to break in rocs. Anyway I would assume that as the Sannie becomes beat it wants to turn right.
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby zj1002 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:15 am

If u can find the flat top sannies like this one http://www.discnation.com/product.php?productid=15275, well u are in the money. i think i got this for like 10 bucks or so before they jacked up the price. anyways the flat top go farther compared to the regular sannies that are domier. i have both and gotta say 80% of the time i pick the flat top out of my bag for holes around 200-250 just cuz it has that little extra kick and it goes on w/e line i want it to go on. that dome really makes them a different disc and i would buy more of them but im not paying 17 bucks when i can just beat in one of my other rocs.
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby tim » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:49 am

For the original poster who was up in the air about what Rocs to stock up on, I'd just say this: if you can resist throwing your backups, don't feel bad getting a bunch of any mold you can afford. No Roc ever sold at list price has lost value. Almost every Roc (especially special Rocs) ever sold has gone up in value -- some as much as 50x...

For the past 10 years, Rocs have been better that Stocks or Bonds or 401ks or just about any other investment. They've all broken at least even, and on average, they've increased. So don't feel guilty stocking up on a few extra Rocs. You can always sell or trade them away when you need to. And you won't have to worry about Roc-inflation killing your ability to buy replacements for your favorite disc.

I LOVE the 2008 USDGC Champ San Marinos, so I've got 5-6 in reserve. I feel the same way about the 11X KCs, so I've got several of those as well, and several Super Rocs and several Star Ontario Rocs. I don't feel guilty about the box of rocs in the basement.

This is feeling so Seuessian it's almost silly: A chock-full box of backup rocs is better than stocks.
Say that 3x times fast. :D
Flick long and prosper.
VP/Wizard | Roc/Buzz | Firebird | Teebird | Destroyer
Vibram Putter tester -- feel free to ask me any questions.
tim
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:17 pm

uNicedmeMan wrote:How do the new sannies beat in?

So far, just straighter.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Previous

Return to Equipment