Picked a few molds...

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Picked a few molds...

Postby zealot » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:27 am

Here's my bag:

169g - Pro Teebird L (straight go-to driver, little fade which i like)
170g - Star Starfire (throws a bit more of an S than the teebird, i like this one for BH hyzer shots and for woods; the star plastic never even knicks for me)
167g - Wraith (i'm starting to love this disc for BH shots. now that i can throw an S-curve better i can wrap this one around a tree for easy putts on a par 3)
175g - Wraith (almost exclusively for my natural sidearm shots, i also throw this one for windy holes. my BH is getting better and with the right anhyzer this disc soars)

162g, 167g, 174g - Goblin (i freaking love this disc. it holds any angle you release it on. my number one disc for shot 2 straight to the pin. i can't say how much i like this, and i think its gonna replace the roc for a lot of people)

172g, 175g - Rhyno (great for all my putts within 10-15 ft. isn't affected by the wind and sticks to the chains)

so after filling up my new innova bag i got with all this new plastic i went down to the local 24 hole course for one of my best games. the light wraith landed 8 ft from the pin on the first hole and i birdied. managed to stay out of the trees much more with my goblins and new found BH form. i liked the teebird a lot today. also, when i was practicing 15-20 ft putts before we played i nailed like 40 out of 50 with my goblins and rhynos. i really think the goblin is the perfect turbo putt tool. im hoping in a few months i can start turboing in a few 25 footers. let me know what you think, and if you share some of my opinions please elaborate on why.

i love disc golf!
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:09 am

setups looking pretty good, a question and a comment,
question:
what do you use for putts outside of 15'?
comment/suggestion:
a more stable mid, buzzz, hawk, d or dx roc/wasp. they can handle a bit more especially in the wind over a goblin.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby zealot » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:10 pm

i use one of the goblins for a straight shot in if its makeable (turbo putting right?) if im outside 15 ft i use the mid-weight goblin or i throw my rhyno with enough hyzer so that it sticks right next to the pin (if i dont think i can simply make the shot)

i wast hinking of buying a roc but im really starting to know these goblins... you dont think the heavy one could perform in the wind?
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby redspexxx » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:24 pm

goblins are not stable enough for wind. i tried playing with one on a windy day and it was like throwing a stratus
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:48 pm

goblins don't have natural stabilizing characteristics in its rim design.

stable mids w/ characteristics:
roc, wasp, mrv.

overstable mids w/ characteristics:
sentinel, gator.

very overstable mids that overlap with drivers in the #5 slot:
demon, drone. oddly enough, these don't have a bead or a notch, just a 90 degree slope on the rim sort of like the original whippets.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby zealot » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:30 am

it seems as though i need to get myself a roc... havent used one but apparently everyone and their brother loves the disc. ill try one out, like 170g or something... have any of you used a 175 goblin in the wind?
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby sleepy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:26 am

lock-off wrote:it seems as though i need to get myself a roc... ill try one out

When you try it, make sure it is for longer than just a week or so. I hated the roc initially, simply because it had a bead and the shark I was accustomed to did not. Make sure you test how the roc flies on different types of shots, (off the tee, short hyzer approaches, straight lines, sidearms, etc.) and try to get your hands on a few different discs in different stages of wear, if at all possible. It really is a very versatile disc once you get to know (and eventually love) it. ;)

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:31 am

that and they (overstable mids) only get better with age.

(I throw wasps, nearly identical to a roc in flight, but feel better in my hand)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby sleepy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:33 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:that and they (overstable mids) only get better with age.

(I throw wasps, nearly identical to a roc in flight, but feel better in my hand)

Very good points. Oddly enough, I too will throw a wasp if I don't have a roc on-hand. The wasp is only about .5 more HSS than the roc on Joe's Universal Chart, and feels nearly identical to the roc in my hand...which is great because unless both manufacturers discontinue both discs, I'll always have a midrange that I like! :D

Life is good.

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:59 pm

and lucky for us the roc and the wasp are two discs not going anywhere.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Weebl » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:46 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:and lucky for us the roc and the wasp are two discs not going anywhere.

8)
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby zealot » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:56 pm

Here's my much-improved, minimalized bag:

169g - Pro Teebird L (straight go-to driver, little fade which i like)
167g - Wraith (i'm starting to love this disc for BH shots too; used only on more open holes or for drives that need hyzer. this disc gets me within 10 ft of a left turning par 3 every time)
175g - Wraith ( i also this one for windy holes. my BH is getting better and with the right anhyzer this disc soars)

175g - Pro KC Roc (i throw this the most as of right now)
175g - Rhyno (great for all my putts within 10-15 ft. isn't affected by the wind and sticks to the chains, i also use this one for BH hyzers when its an approach))

I'm gonna buy a dx Roc to start wearing in tomorrow. apparently some people dont like the consistency of the kc roc plastic? sell me the dx or defend the kc :D which is better?
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Equipment