Sam's Club Basket

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Sam's Club Basket

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:02 am

This will piss you off...

My brother in law found some kick as baskets at Sam's. They are red powder coat with chrome chains, and they break down into three pieces for transport.

Nicer than most of the baskets at the course.

$89...

He bought three. I got one for my birthday. Sweet.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby jgarcia9102 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:18 am

<runs off to sams>
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:20 am

jgarcia9102 wrote:<runs off to sams>

Good luck... Sam's is an odd place. One will have this or that, the other's won't....

These were at Sam;s in Plano Texas, Coit Rd.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:24 am

This is it:

Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:45 am

those have been around for a while. for a bit, they were like $60 on ebay, but they changed distributors.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby jgarcia9102 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:48 am

I figured it would be an instep. Im actually gonna see what i can find after work.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:53 pm

I like mine. The discs are not even that bad for the kids to play with.

I have no idea what they cost, they may have been cheaper. I got mine for free... <sweet>.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Ultium » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:32 pm

Bought one at Sams in Oklahoma for $64.95 last week. They had about twenty of them boxed up. It comes with a driver, midrange and putter as well. The mold of the discs is probably decent but the plastic is crap. I tested the putter and in no time at all it was beat to hell just from hitting the chains.

The basket is well worth it though. It is easy to set up and does a decent job catching your discs. It is not quite as good as the baskets at the courses around here for two reasons:

1.) It only has one set of chains. To me this is no big deal because the other chains are good enough that you really have to smash a disc to get it through. For backyard putting and approach practice it is more than sufficient. Besides, if it did bother you the basket has a ring at the top that is in perfect place from which to hang an inside set of chains.

2.) The chains are a little more likely to cause a disc to bounce out, but not significantly, and will not cause a bounce out on a money shot. Worse case, you might find that you need a very small increase in accuracy, but since this is a practice basket I look at that as a good thing.

Quality wise the basket is fine. My recommendation is to buy this basket if you want to set it up in your back yard for put and approach practice. You really do not need anything better. For use in course like conditions I think adding the chains would be enough.
Ultium
Noob

Postby Glock23 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:58 pm

Wow, that is pretty frustrating considering I just bought one for $86 on ebay. Do you have a # or what the box says? The sam's around here don't have them, and I can't find it on their website. Any info would be great! Thanks
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby Ultium » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:22 pm

Glock23 wrote:Wow, that is pretty frustrating considering I just bought one for $86 on ebay. Do you have a # or what the box says? The sam's around here don't have them, and I can't find it on their website. Any info would be great! Thanks

According to the box:

Manufacuer = InStep

Model # = 17-DG100

The box says "Disc Golf Goal" at the top and shows a picture of a guy with a white t-shirt putting. He is releasing with the proper handshake form.
Ultium
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:35 pm

if you hyzer putt the second set of chains is almost necessary, but for practice putting having a tone pole gets the job done ;-). I still like the idea of making my own basket :roll: (this is definately one of the best deals if not the best out there though.)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:41 am

I agree with Utrium's review nearly exactly.

I like mine.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby presidio hills » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:08 am

i've had the instep for about a year now. mine was only 68$ including shipping. in my opinion it's almost like a toy. even with a perfect putt you can spit out. there's so many ways to spit out on this thing.
it's okay for backyard putting practice, though, taken with a grain of salt. you just gotta tell yourself "yeah, that was good".

in all honesty i kinda wish i saved up another 100$ and got a real basket (distcatcher perhaps). i mean, if i putt all the time for years... why not get a real basket?
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Solty » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:35 am

couple of locals have the instep and i've putting on it.....here are some points i noticed

Pros: Price, Mobility, ability to add 2nd set of chains, Price

Cons: Rusts after a while, lotta spit outs, stock chains are crap, depth of basket, poor constuction quality

(Constructive Criticizism Time)
Whereas this is perfect for the backyard, 2nd set of chains are definitely needed. You must also take the basket inside when inclement weather comes. If you need a personal practice basket, it's perfect. Whereas, a pole or tree in the yard will yield similar practice results.

Personally, I have the DB-5. Whereas it's semi-cheap....its no Mach 2,3, or 5. However, its sturdy, rigid, and can withstand over 1 year of being outdoors without being rusted. All baskets have spit outs and this one is no different. I added a 2nd set of chains and that seemed to help, a lil. The basket isvery deep and can handle 15-20 putts before you'd need to clear out...

...now that the instep question has come back round...i need feel like i wasted 4 minutes of my life giving my $0.02 again :D It's all good!

mike
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby ApesOfWrath » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:44 pm

which sam's in oklahoma did you get it at?
ApesOfWrath
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Equipment