Boss- first impressions

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Boss- first impressions

Postby twmccoy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:21 pm

Well shit, here we are 3 years later. I still think the boss is the longest disc I've thrown to date (though I haven't been keeping up on all the new stuff). I keep one in the bag (clear, hard blue champ 173g) for long open drives. Great sheer distance disc that stays up and glides for a long time. Can be a little touchy on lines if you mis-throw it a bit. The boss will stall out and die if you throw too much nose up.

The R pro boss is fun for field practice but an impractical POS on the course. If you can miraculously keep it flat it will outfly anything easily. The problem is you have to finesse it greatly to keep it from flipping. Plastic blend is crap too.

I have a star boss but still haven't thrown it.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler
 
Posts: 2169
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Littleton, CO

Re: Boss- first impressions

Postby rehder » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:32 am

twmccoy wrote: I still think the boss is the longest disc I've thrown to date (


Try out a Nuke. It is def. longer, but also more understable on avg.
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:58 pm
Location: Discn in northern Europe

Re: Boss- first impressions

Postby jubuttib » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:26 am

I've thrown a couple of Champ Bosses that had a nice turn (very reminiscent of a Nuke actually), had glide to spare and a nice reliable finish, and oh so long. I could see myself throwing those farther than just about anything else. The Star Bosses I've thrown on the other hand have been total hogs, on par or over the Nuke OS in overstability.

If you know how to look for decent ones, the Boss can be a fine disc.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: Boss- first impressions

Postby discspeed » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:32 am

jubuttib wrote:The Star Bosses I've thrown on the other hand have been total hogs, on par or over the Nuke OS in overstability.

If you know how to look for decent ones, the Boss can be a fine disc.


I've never thrown a Boss that was close to the Z NukeOS in stability...Even the Bosses I've had that were very HSS would still hold straight under power much longer than the OS and hold a decent anny release to the ground. I can't make an OS hold anny to the ground unless I throw a shot that looks absurd (basically a BH roller thrown higher in the air).
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)
User avatar
 
Posts: 5465
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:02 am
Location: Clearwater, FL
Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: Boss- first impressions

Postby turso » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:50 am

Yeah, I know a boss that jubu has and I don't remember it being as overstable as NOS, but it's not far off. It probably won't hold anny to the ground though.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.


NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions
User avatar
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:45 pm
Location: Finland, Kuopio
Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Re: Boss- first impressions

Postby Codester101 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:49 pm

I have a boss that I altered a bit, (No, I don't use it at events.) When thrown golf D I average around 400 feet of power, I hyzer flip the thing just a few degrees and it keeps going straight until about 350 feet before starting to fade forward to about 400'. Would a Nuke (which one?) act like this at all? I want to find something so when I eventually lose this thing I will be happy.
For the record, my form is decent, but far from perfect. I can throw understable drivers without making them turn and burn, etc.
Codester101
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:16 pm
Favorite Disc: The one I can find.

Re: Boss- first impressions

Postby MR. WICK » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:57 pm

Codester101 wrote:I have a boss that I altered a bit, (No, I don't use it at events.) When thrown golf D I average around 400 feet of power, I hyzer flip the thing just a few degrees and it keeps going straight until about 350 feet before starting to fade forward to about 400'. Would a Nuke (which one?) act like this at all? I want to find something so when I eventually lose this thing I will be happy.
For the record, my form is decent, but far from perfect. I can throw understable drivers without making them turn and burn, etc.


Sounds like you want a DD2 to me. It's a bosstana
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler
User avatar
 
Posts: 2363
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:58 am
Location: Connecticut
Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Previous

Return to Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests