Boss- first impressions

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Boss- first impressions

Postby peppermack » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:59 pm

Ahhh....bringing back this thread....I have two that I got for my birthday last month....and after a bit of work....they are serious monster D discs. I can't say though that I get much high speed turn with them though...maybe when they are broken in. I throw a serious anny on it to start out and it goes and goes....flips baack flat and then fades out at about 450'. the other thing that I love is that this disc is nearly totally untroubled by the wind.....I can rip it in a headwind, crosswind, whatever, and it does what it normally would. I love it, especially because it is ALWAYS windy here. Does anyone know if there are certain colors that are more domey than others...I search the threads for it but could not nail it down....no stores stock it around here so I order them and I want to know what colors to look for....in closing...a monster d disc with crazy skipability.
S PD, Firebird, KC Pro/Champ Gazelle, Buzz, Rhyno, ESP Drone, Ion
peppermack
aint no salt in my game!

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby twmccoy » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:17 pm

peppermack wrote:Ahhh....bringing back this thread....I have two that I got for my birthday last month....and after a bit of work....they are serious monster D discs. I can't say though that I get much high speed turn with them though...maybe when they are broken in. I throw a serious anny on it to start out and it goes and goes....flips baack flat and then fades out at about 450'. the other thing that I love is that this disc is nearly totally untroubled by the wind.....I can rip it in a headwind, crosswind, whatever, and it does what it normally would. I love it, especially because it is ALWAYS windy here. Does anyone know if there are certain colors that are more domey than others...I search the threads for it but could not nail it down....no stores stock it around here so I order them and I want to know what colors to look for....in closing...a monster d disc with crazy skipability.

Couldn't agree more. I throw them with anny too and they don't have a ton of S curve yet end up at least as far as anything else. I just got another one yesterday and I'll try to throw it tomorrow and see how it compares. I have seen a few really domy ones, opaque yellow.

The two I have are not flat but not super domy either.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby MandShowI » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:25 am

ive thrown and watched people throw probably..50-60 bosses. and inspected every one. weight is a huge factor...almost as big as how domey/not the disc is. 2 grams is about the same as 10 grams for another disc because of how thin the flight plate is and how the weight is distributed in the disc. so if u want a flippy disc..go lighter..you want a meathook? go heavy.

as for dome..i honestly cant remember. im just blanking..its what i get for posting at 1:30 am..i'll up date this once i have some sleep under my belt..or if i remember tonight.
MandShowI
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Champ Orc/Any Buzzz

Postby Hoey » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:23 am

People that I have talked too that said their Bosses were flippy, most of them had that lemon lime color. Could be merely speculation, because it is very hard to distinguish between flat and domey tops anyway.

But if you come across a stack and want a flippy one, look at the yellows first.
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby black udder » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:35 am

MandShowI wrote:so if u want a flippy disc..go lighter..you want a meathook? go heavy.

This is sorta funny since I've only seen them in the 173g-175g range :)

I think when we talk flippy, we're only talking about folks driving 400' or more (and reasonable form).
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:13 am

black udder wrote:
MandShowI wrote:so if u want a flippy disc..go lighter..you want a meathook? go heavy.

This is sorta funny since I've only seen them in the 173g-175g range :)

I think when we talk flippy, we're only talking about folks driving 400' or more (and reasonable form).

I think somewhere Dave D said 172-3 is the lightest they can go.

I don't throw the boss anymore but it has added 50 ft to a few of my friend's throw. These guys already throw 420~ but now they are just completely bombing these things close to 500. I hate them so much. All my friends who throw the same as me 380~ don't seem to really see a benefit from these.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby peppermack » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:00 am

Interesting....interesting.....the two I have are 173g Blue.....and a 175g yellow.....I would not say that either are particularly domey....but I do not have any others to compare it too. As for flippy....I am getting them out beyond 400' and I would not say that either of them are flippy....they seem to have little or no high speed turn....but like I said before....maybe when they are a little more broken in.
S PD, Firebird, KC Pro/Champ Gazelle, Buzz, Rhyno, ESP Drone, Ion
peppermack
aint no salt in my game!

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby rusch_bag » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:12 am

I have an x out 169 boss but I really haven't thrown any bosses that much to compare them. Once I got them the snow hit and I don't get good enough footing to throw high speed discs as well as they need to so I limit it. I willl let you know in spring!
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby kaht » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:35 am

I bought one that I probably shouldn't have. Definitely not flippy, definitely overstable. I'll need to give it some tuning and test it out again in the spring.
kaht
Tree Magnet

Postby MandShowI » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:05 pm

you wont find any of the DF bosses lighter than 173. x outs will run the lightest..down to around 165-7 area and the first stamps are around 170. but if you do have anything lighter than 173 you'll run the risk of having the dome collapse and then u'll be having all sorts of fun.
MandShowI
Tree Magnet

Postby Lakewoodhillsdgleague » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:18 am

Has anyone else noticed that the First Run Boss's are much less stable than the standard CE stamped Boss? My friend has the FR and I have the standard and his flies a lot like a wraith and mine is like an excalibur. I throw 350-375 and I can control the FR but the standard just goes straight left out of my hand....
MN Frisbee Association President

Sign up for the Lakewood Hills Disc Golf League NOW!!!!! Currently splashing chains every Sunday @ 4pm!!!! Open $5 Ams $3

http://www.lakewoodhillsdg.com
lakewoodhillsdgleague@hotmail.com
Lakewoodhillsdgleague
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Crystal Z FLX Buzzz

Postby MandShowI » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:06 am

are they the same weight same dome? or what are the differences between the discs
MandShowI
Tree Magnet

Postby roman » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:20 am

Lakewoodhillsdgleague wrote:Has anyone else noticed that the First Run Boss's are much less stable than the standard CE stamped Boss? My friend has the FR and I have the standard and his flies a lot like a wraith and mine is like an excalibur. I throw 350-375 and I can control the FR but the standard just goes straight left out of my hand....

I think that's just the variation in the disc. It's probably one of the more inconsistent discs I've ever come across. The first one I ever threw flew like a Wraith, the one I throw now flies more like a star Destroyer. Both are first run stamps. I've seen one that was as stable as you describe, but those are rare. Most seem to fly like Destroyers I think.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Star Shark » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:44 am

It's also possible that he got one of the really early first run Bosses. According to Dave over on the PDGA board, the first set was quite flippy. Also, to keep things simple we refer to the Champion plastic by Champ generally. CE plastic was an older material similar to star in appearance but virtually indestructible.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby JHern » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:24 am

After reading this thread, I decided to order a Boss and check it out. Seems like the wide rim is what demands a heavier weight, 173-175g (where can you trim plastic off to lighten it with so much volume in the rim? Nowhere, unless Innova can figure out a way to cast the discs with hollowed rims...hmmmm, that seems like a worthwhile effort to suggest, if they haven't already thought of it). But, the large heavy rim will give it a larger moment of inertia, so probably interesting flight characteristics, probably very smooth and graceful flight if given a big snap, which would explain its behavior in the wind.

Anyways, I'm really interested to see how this disc works with the forehand drive.

Also, there are a lot of situations where I like to have a wicked skipping super-stable disc for RHBH throws to make hard left turns around obstacles (my Tee-Rex is usually good for this, but Boss maybe better?) and skip up into the basket...sounds like this is the right one for that kind of stuff.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment