Boss- first impressions

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Boss- first impressions

Postby MandShowI » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:47 am

..the boss is almost too skippy. ive thrown on a skip shot..it double skipped turned about 115 degrees total and covered 100-120 over the two skips. ive thrown it on a line drive wanting it to finish hard left. once again it double skipped. first one almost hit chains..second skip started to come back at me.

anyone else had this happen?
MandShowI
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Champ Orc/Any Buzzz

Postby JR » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:50 am

JHern wrote:After reading this thread, I decided to order a Boss and check it out. Seems like the wide rim is what demands a heavier weight, 173-175g (where can you trim plastic off to lighten it with so much volume in the rim? Nowhere, unless Innova can figure out a way to cast the discs with hollowed rims...hmmmm, that seems like a worthwhile effort to suggest, if they haven't already thought of it). But, the large heavy rim will give it a larger moment of inertia, so probably interesting flight characteristics, probably very smooth and graceful flight if given a big snap, which would explain its behavior in the wind.

Anyways, I'm really interested to see how this disc works with the forehand drive.

Also, there are a lot of situations where I like to have a wicked skipping super-stable disc for RHBH throws to make hard left turns around obstacles (my Tee-Rex is usually good for this, but Boss maybe better?) and skip up into the basket...sounds like this is the right one for that kind of stuff.

With the whopping experience of one FH throw with the Boss it seems a good disc for maximum distance forehand disc.

With the Monarch Innova took a step beyond what youre suggesting about hollowing out. There are x out discs that weren't filled completely in molds and have bubbles. These discs tend to break at the bubbles so maybe a hollow disc ain't a good idea unless designed to be one. Even then wear puncturing the outer part of a hollow part may create undesireable aerodynamic effects.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Lakewoodhillsdgleague » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:35 pm

MandShowI wrote:are they the same weight same dome? or what are the differences between the discs

They were both the same weight 173....not sure on the dome. I picked up a 173 FR about three weeks ago and I can control that one as well. Still no luck with the CE Boss though. Thing is damn stable....
MN Frisbee Association President

Sign up for the Lakewood Hills Disc Golf League NOW!!!!! Currently splashing chains every Sunday @ 4pm!!!! Open $5 Ams $3

http://www.lakewoodhillsdg.com
lakewoodhillsdgleague@hotmail.com
Lakewoodhillsdgleague
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Crystal Z FLX Buzzz

Postby JHern » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:51 am

JR wrote:With the whopping experience of one FH throw with the Boss it seems a good disc for maximum distance forehand disc.

Nice! That is kinda what I expected to hear. I can't wait for it to arrive!

JR wrote:With the Monarch Innova took a step beyond what youre suggesting about hollowing out. There are x out discs that weren't filled completely in molds and have bubbles. These discs tend to break at the bubbles so maybe a hollow disc ain't a good idea unless designed to be one. Even then wear puncturing the outer part of a hollow part may create undesireable aerodynamic effects.

I also ordered a Monarch, to check it out. Never owned a teebird either, so also one of those in Star plastic. Sheesh, I guess those are Merry Xmas to me!

I think the hollow rim would have to be axi-symmetric, like the rest of the disc, and as deep inside the rim as possible. Probably superbly difficult to cast though...unless they came up with a completely different process.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby dgdave » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:13 pm

Sorry, old thread. Kill me.

I know around here anything faster than 10 or 11 is shunned, but the last 2-3 weeks I have been really glad I put the Boss back in the bag and screwed minimalism. I think this is the best golf distance disc out. Its has just a slight S, as disc speed said "the xlassic Innova flight", to a straight with fade disc. Into a wind they just scream. I really liked the destroyer, but they just weren't as reliable as a boss.

I just wanted to say this as the newness and mega hype has worn off now.

PS- if you're tossing 350 or lessit will probably be too much disc, but 350+ you can probably use it as an over stable to stable driver depending on your D.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby discspeed » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:44 pm

I'm still loving the Boss. Last October at a tournament I got the first DF Champ Bosses in the state of FL and the original one I picked is still in the bag, and only a bit less stable. I got my first Voodoo at that tourney as well. Anyway, I now have that heavy DF Champ Boss for hyzers and wind and a couple of light 170s Star Bosses that I throw for max D.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Jeronimo » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:14 am

I'd have to agree, its my max distance driver of choice as well. I'd also add if you don't have large hands, this disc could be trouble for your grip. For alot of my buddies its just not comfortable in their hands. Fits me perfect though.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby nice drive kid » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:13 am

Star Bosses are where it's at. I've got a fleet of 168g's that act pretty much like (much) longer Teebirds for me. I've found that the white ones are fantastic, great feeling plastic.

I have, however, noticed that if the wing becomes damaged, even a relatively small scuff (1/2 inch long with visible serrations), it will immediately become more flippy and I will no longer be able to exert full power on it. Has anyone else noticed this?

And, supplemental question: I've been throwing 168's because I initially read that they were more stable than the heavier weights. While I've found that they're pretty damn stable, I haven't gotten a max weight one to test simply because the 168's have been working for me. Is this actually true?
Gator

Team Tolland Disc Golf
nice drive kid
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: CFR Gator

Postby BeSquared » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:39 am

dgdave wrote:Sorry, old thread. Kill me.

I know around here anything faster than 10 or 11 is shunned, but the last 2-3 weeks I have been really glad I put the Boss back in the bag and screwed minimalism. I think this is the best golf distance disc out. Its has just a slight S, as disc speed said "the xlassic Innova flight", to a straight with fade disc. Into a wind they just scream. I really liked the destroyer, but they just weren't as reliable as a boss.

I just wanted to say this as the newness and mega hype has worn off now.

PS- if you're tossing 350 or lessit will probably be too much disc, but 350+ you can probably use it as an over stable to stable driver depending on your D.

Remember we do not shun fast discs, we just don't recommend them to people who can't throw very far.
Meh...
BeSquared
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby Jesse B 707 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:52 am

at 380 (400 if rucky) these days the Boss is still pretty useless to me, when they first came out i could weasel them out to 420/430 (my form was better then) now and again but even then i just felt so underpowered trying to throw em on the course that they werent worth it, I really like the feeling of being able to put my distance driver past its cruising speed so cranking my bosses on a hard anny to get d got old in a hurry
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby domromer » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:54 am

Pfff...I putt with a boss.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby MR. WICK » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:05 pm

domromer wrote:Pfff...I putt with a boss.

Gotta be max weight though. :lol:

No really. I see a lot of people bombing the boss (Nice Drive Kid) but I can still pump a pro Destroyer much farther. The glide is much better on the destroyer and my small hands just can't handle the boss.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby black udder » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:01 pm

I've seen lots of people throwing them, but nobody bombing with them. Mostly it's folks who I'd imagine don't have much reason to use them. A sweeping hyzer and playing the skip on an open 350' hole (works, but should be lots of discs in the bag that can reach 350' if you can throw it). Folks going down in weight to the r-pro 150 or trying to throw it sidearm (<300').

For me at around 350', it's just too overstable, even the 164g one I have. While it flies great at speed, as soon as it slows down, it's just going so far left, it's of almost no use. I don't get significantly farther than with my wraiths or other discs, so for now, it's just a fun field disc.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby discspeed » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:39 pm

black udder wrote:I've seen lots of people throwing them, but nobody bombing with them. Mostly it's folks who I'd imagine don't have much reason to use them. A sweeping hyzer and playing the skip on an open 350' hole (works, but should be lots of discs in the bag that can reach 350' if you can throw it). Folks going down in weight to the r-pro 150 or trying to throw it sidearm (<300').

For me at around 350', it's just too overstable, even the 164g one I have. While it flies great at speed, as soon as it slows down, it's just going so far left, it's of almost no use. I don't get significantly farther than with my wraiths or other discs, so for now, it's just a fun field disc.

For anyone who can throw in the mid to upper 300s the Boss gives the truest hyzer for the least effort. You must know what you're doing with a disc though. I especially see a lot of masters and advanced masters players getting great 300 something hyzers out of Bosses, especially in the wind. These guys couldn't get the other fast D drivers anywhere near where they throw the Boss. Most of these guys use champs, especially first runs. These guys are a lot different than novice players that have comparable power though.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby emiller3 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:42 pm

discspeed wrote:
black udder wrote:I've seen lots of people throwing them, but nobody bombing with them. Mostly it's folks who I'd imagine don't have much reason to use them. A sweeping hyzer and playing the skip on an open 350' hole (works, but should be lots of discs in the bag that can reach 350' if you can throw it). Folks going down in weight to the r-pro 150 or trying to throw it sidearm (<300').

For anyone who can throw in the mid to upper 300s the Boss gives the truest hyzer for the least effort. You must know what you're doing with a disc though. I especially see a lot of masters and advanced masters players getting great 300 something hyzers out of Bosses, especially in the wind. These guys couldn't get the other fast D drivers anywhere near where they throw the Boss. Most of these guys use champs, especially first runs. These guys are a lot different than novice players that have comparable power though.

This is what I used the Groove for, 380' hyzers. I found that I can throw a Teebird almost as far on the same line, and I get much more control and it feels better in my hand, so I dropped the Groove for it.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment