Boss- first impressions

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Boss- first impressions

Postby dgdave » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:51 pm

They do rule at low hyzers. Sunday I had a shot that to get anywhere you have to shoot under some 8-10 ft limbs about 80-100 feet from the pad and then scattered trees after that. I cleared the limbs and got a NS Boss out to about 460-475 ft that never got more than 12-15 ft high. I did get a skip off a parking lot at the very end.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby emiller3 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:08 pm

dgdave wrote:They do rule at low hyzers. Sunday I had a shot that to get anywhere you have to shoot under some 8-10 ft limbs about 80-100 feet from the pad and then scattered trees after that. I cleared the limbs and got a NS Boss out to about 460-475 ft that never got more than 12-15 ft high. I did get a skip off a parking lot at the very end.

Holy cow! :shock: 460' on a pure hyzer line, no more than 15' off the ground?! I've thrown over 450' about 10 times, but it's always got some good height, slight turn, and flies mostly flat. I didn't even know it was possible to throw that far on a hyzer line, that's incredible.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby dgdave » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:13 pm

Wasn't a pure hyzer, it was a flattened hyzer. Hyzer that popped up to flat and held it for a long time then faded back. Kinda like a teebird flight, just at speed 13. There was a slight headwind, ~5mph, that helped it from hyzering out early. If I hadn't hit the pavement, I bet it would have been in the 425 range.
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby emiller3 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:19 pm

dgdave wrote:Wasn't a pure hyzer, it was a flattened hyzer. Hyzer that popped up to flat and held it for a long time then faded back. Kinda like a teebird flight, just at speed 13. There was a slight headwind, ~5mph, that helped it from hyzering out early. If I hadn't hit the pavement, I bet it would have been in the 425 range.

I have thrown a flattened hyzer 450' with a Monarch, but it did take more height, so I see your point about Bosses/Grooves being good for lower height. And I have flattened a Groove with a slight headwind, pretty fun to see a speed 13 disc get up to speed (I'd never do it without the wind).
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Postby tumpsi » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:18 am

emiller3 wrote:
dgdave wrote:They do rule at low hyzers. Sunday I had a shot that to get anywhere you have to shoot under some 8-10 ft limbs about 80-100 feet from the pad and then scattered trees after that. I cleared the limbs and got a NS Boss out to about 460-475 ft that never got more than 12-15 ft high. I did get a skip off a parking lot at the very end.

Holy cow! :shock: 460' on a pure hyzer line, no more than 15' off the ground?! I've thrown over 450' about 10 times, but it's always got some good height, slight turn, and flies mostly flat. I didn't even know it was possible to throw that far on a hyzer line, that's incredible.

I parked a 136m (446') hole with an almost flattened hyzer a couple weeks ago. It ended up pin high, 10' right from the basket. It hyzered the whole way, but still pretty much a straight shot. Disc was brand new old mold Star Teerex. That's pretty much my most awesome disc golf experience so far in a tournament. I've parked it a few times before, but not with a hyzer. Adrenaline rush makes you do wonderful things.
Here's a video of the hole. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2GswApPEfs
It's #13 of the course, first on the vid. (Ville Piippo throws first on the vid, a 475ish forehand shot btw.)
Max Boss Teebird Roc Wizard
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby MR. WICK » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:09 pm

A lot of the older guys around here have all been sucked into the hype of the R-Pro boss (light ones). They love to throw them anhyzer and s turn them 275feet. Why.....I have no idea.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby discspeed » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:21 am

TeamTollandDG wrote:A lot of the older guys around here have all been sucked into the hype of the R-Pro boss (light ones). They love to throw them anhyzer and s turn them 275feet. Why.....I have no idea.

One of my old school friends who recently switched to all 150 (elbow injury) is throwing the R-Pro Boss 400' and he hasn't thrown that far in years. He likes that, but hates the durability and is pissed that Innova is selling such crap. Its a real double edged sword.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby dgdave » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:55 am

Woohoo! Dave D said they will be running Pro Bosses again!
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby MR. WICK » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:00 am

dgdave wrote:Woohoo! Dave D said they will be running Pro Bosses again!

Normal production run? or 20 dolla ones again.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Postby dgdave » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:26 am

He didn't say.
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby emiller3 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:42 am

I've taken the Groove (like a high-altitude Boss?) out of the bag for a couple weeks now to see if I could get my Teebirds to cover those shots. For the most part, it has been a successful experiment. However, I still have need of a high speed, moderately overstable disc for a couple different hyzer shots I throw about once every round--nothing has been able to replace a speed 13 discs for those. So I think I'll be puting the Groove back in the bag, although I'll probably only be using it once or twice a round. It's gotten pretty beat up, so I might replace it with a Boss, maybe even a lighter one.

The R-Pro Bosses are no good? I beat discs very slowly... Why is a Pro Boss a good thing?
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Postby MR. WICK » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:57 am

emiller3 wrote:
The R-Pro Bosses are no good? I beat discs very slowly... Why is a Pro Boss a good thing?

The same reason the Pro-Destroyer is the best destroyer. Starts out more overstable than the rest beats into perfect. Glides way better than the other plastic. You can carry them in various stages of wear.

The guys I play with that throw the pro boss throw it farther than the champ and star ones they have. They just glide better.

The R-Pro is not nearly the same thing (crap if you ask me).
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Postby dgdave » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:46 pm

I really have the R-Pro boss. The 4 Masters stamp ones I tossed were all really overstable and had no glide. The Stock one my buddy has flips like crazy, but has very good glide.

Besides the 1st run champ, all of the stock Bosses (DF and Star) I've thrown have been super consistant, which is good considering its wing size.
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby inthedrift » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:48 am

I got an R-Pro Boss 159 on a whim and it's so flippy I can hardly throw it I had heard they were flippy, but I have trashed Gazelles I can put less hyzer on and still fly straight.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby tumpsi » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:35 am

inthedrift wrote:I got an R-Pro Boss 159 on a whim and it's so flippy I can hardly throw it I had heard they were flippy, but I have trashed Gazelles I can put less hyzer on and still fly straight.

comparing a gazelle to a boss is quite amazing. here, have super mario cookie for your effort
Max Boss Teebird Roc Wizard
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment