Does Discraft use a scale? Do they even own one?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Does Discraft use a scale? Do they even own one?

Postby BHW » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:49 pm

Why can't Discraft give a halfway accurate weight on their discs? It's bad enough they use a sticker that gives a gueestimate...but even those are usually off. I've yet to weigh a Discraft disc that was within 2 grams of the claimed range. I just bought a new XL today to replace a lost one, and the lighest range they had in store was 170-172. I wanted mid 160s, but bought the 170-172. My last one was 3 grams lighter than they claimed. This one didn't feel light, and I was right, 174. I'm thinking about taking it back ot the store and asking for an exchange. Anybody else noticed their weighing problems?
BHW
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:56 pm

its not just discraft
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:37 pm

discraft buys their plastic pre-mixed from a chemical company and they buy it in a set density, and assuming given the volume of the mold, but they do use some system of weighing.

discraft is in general 2-3g off of what is marked, and occasionally will get max weights that are 4-5g heavy.

the thing is... they are generally 2-3g closer to marked than innova.

i've yet to find a disc from DC that was more than 5g off, which isn't very bad.

honestly, you are the first person i've found that ever had a disc weigh less than marked.

you have to keep in mind that the manufacturers (aside from ching) weigh their discs in bulk. that is, take a stack of 25, weigh it, divide by 25.

It's bad enough they use a sticker that gives a gueestimate

personally, i'd rather have a sticker that gives a range and is only off by 2-3g from marked rather than having an individual disc weight written and have it be off by 6g.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby BHW » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:59 pm

Over the years my Innova discs have been very consistent and always within 1g of actually weighing what it says on the back of the disc. I've just started using Discraft discs recently, and of the 3 new ones I've bought recently, one was lighter, and two were heavier...one of those being much heavier. The XL I bought yesterday was very dissapointing, I like mid to upper 160s, and that one coming in at 174 just sucks. Oh well, now I know.
BHW
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:14 am

lighter plastic is generally much closer to actual than heavier plastic.

in the past two years i've found most manufacturers (w/ the exception of ching) are quite off with their written weights.

d/dx plastic is generally closest to actual.
star/esp is generally the most off.

narrower rims are generally the closest to actual.
Blake_T

Postby calvarycoffee » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:50 am

wow, thanks for pointing that out.

that explains a couple of problems i have with identical discs flying differently.

i.e. - my 174 flash flys understable and my 168 flash flys overstable

(so i'm not crazy. . . )
Do not resist chances. . . and there will be one less thing you cannot do -ACG
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:55 am

each run/color of flashes like to fly very differently anyways.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby The Clergyman » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:27 pm

You see, that's dumb. How are we expected to find consistency? I've learned a couple of discs pretty well, but in fact have just come into a Flash that I have been liking a lot. So if I learn the thing and then, say, send it for a swim and need to replace it, I'm not going to get the same disc :x
Cmmaaaannnnn! What's up with that?
I'm better off not even learning to throw the Flash then.
Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.
~Dr.Seuss
The Clergyman
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z XL...or not

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:00 pm

they really aren't that different.

if you aren't able to adjust to slight variation, it's more you than the disc, with rare exceptions when discs turn out EXTREMELY different out of the mold, or if they change molds
Blake_T

Postby calvarycoffee » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:48 pm

i.e. - my 174 flash flys understable and my 168 flash flys overstable

the 174 is red

the 168 is orange

is the color the culprit?
Do not resist chances. . . and there will be one less thing you cannot do -ACG
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:10 pm

color is never the culprit.

run is the culprit.

basically, if you take two flashes and look at the rim profile, the one that has a STEEPER slope is going to be more overstable. this is due to atmospheric conditions during the cooling process as well as slight variations in blends of plastic purchased from the manufacturer.
Blake_T

Postby Smyith » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:08 am

OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby BHW » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:26 am

I just think it's misleading as hell to buy a disc labled 170, and you get it to a digital postal scale, that you've used to weigh discs for years, and it says 174.
BHW
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:39 pm

what makes the color appear to be the culprit depends on the day they were run, if there were higher humidity on the day they ran blue flashes they will cool differently than the orange flashes they ran a week before. (right?)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:03 pm

BHW wrote:I just think it's misleading as hell to buy a disc labled 170, and you get it to a digital postal scale, that you've used to weigh discs for years, and it says 174.

i agree.

if you think this is something unique to discraft, you are strongly mistaken.
i weigh discs regularly, and in very large quantities, and what i can tell you is, they are probably the 2nd or 3rd most accurate manufacturer when it comes to labelled weights. ching is generally accurate within 1g.

4g really isn't very much to be off by nowadays.

what makes the color appear to be the culprit depends on the day they were run, if there were higher humidity on the day they ran blue flashes they will cool differently than the orange flashes they ran a week before. (right?)

correct, but it's not usually within a day or two. think more like 2 months. i covered this in another thread. basically, innova runs like 5-20x as many discs at once as discraft (from the same batch of plastic, same atmospheric conditions), so over short intervals, their discs appear to be more consistent. in the long run, they have the highest variability since the plastics will be entirely different blends. discraft's variability will appear to be stronger over the short run, but much more uniform over the long run.

the additional factor is that innova discs sell more quickly than discraft's. the result is that you are more likely to get a fresh disc from innova whereas you are more likely to find a discraft disc that has been shelved/warehoused for 12 months. from any manufacturer, a 1 year old disc will be different from a brand new one.

THIS ALL SUPPORTS MY THEORY OF BUYING 12 OF SOMETHING YOU LIKE!!!
Blake_T

Next

Return to Equipment