Super soft DX plastic, new Eagle

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Super soft DX plastic, new Eagle

Postby BHW » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:11 pm

I picked up a replacement Eagle for the one I lost yesterday. This particular store had one DX Eagle, and it's white with rainbow stamp. The plastic feels very soft and rubbery....unlike any DX I've felt before. It feels like putter plastic. Can somebody tell me what that is?
BHW
Tree Magnet

Postby sleepy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:15 pm

My guess would be the 'new DX'...Innova's latest renovation of the DX plastic. Increased grip, less tacoing, longer-wearing...straight butta. :D

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby BHW » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:20 pm

I guess? Maybe I haven't seen anough of the new DX plastics to say. This one has a weird tint to it...not pure white...almost slightly grey. And it's quite easily the softest disc I've ever owned....similar to the X Putt'R. I haven't throw it yet. But I'm very curious. It's was the only thing of it's kind in the store.
BHW
Tree Magnet

Postby Jones » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:03 pm

I saw a few of those, and I am kicking myself for not picking them up. They were both an off white, soft, and super grippy. They felt really cool, but I needed some rocs badly. I'll find them again I'm sure.
Jones
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:20 pm

this dx blend is from late 2004. it was a "soft plastic" trend that innova used on the eagle, teebird, gazelle, cheetah, archangel, shark, spider, and gator.

it is probably the least durable blend they have ever had and they are very prone to warping and pieces tearing off.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby MrTasses » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:43 pm

avoid that plastic unless you enjoy throwing silly putty. It will actually warp on a moderate tree hits and can be easily bent back into shape by hand. It will taco bad enough that you can easily see the disc of not a circle anymore.

I started one of these soft DX tbirds as my new/overstable tbird about 20 rounds ago. That disc is now my understable disc while I have kept the same hyzerflip tbird (made from an older, harder DX blend) even though I have thrown that hyzerflip disc easily 4x as often in the same time period.

I dislike that blend of plastic so much that my next disc order is going to come from gotta go gotta throw just so that I can have Blake on the phone to make sure I am getting a durable DX blend tbird.
MrTasses
Tree Magnet

Postby Jones » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:49 am

If it is that same plastic then I definately don't want any of that. I have 2 Teebirds that are like that and they taco badly even with a small tree hit. I guess I didn't put two and two together and assumed it was a newer blend.
Jones
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby garublador » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:45 am

Blake_T wrote:this dx blend is from late 2004. it was a "soft plastic" trend that innova used on the eagle, teebird, gazelle, cheetah, archangel, shark, spider, and gator.

it is probably the least durable blend they have ever had and they are very prone to warping and pieces tearing off.

I was wondering why my Teebirds and Gazelles I just bought are falling apart so quickly. They still fly great, though.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Weebl » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:54 am

Did they make Rocs in this gummy DX too? I have 2 DX Rocs that are so soft and chunk off easy, that I'm scared of puncturing the flightplate on a pine twig :/
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby presidio hills » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:24 am

Weebl wrote:Did they make Rocs in this gummy DX too? I have 2 DX Rocs that are so soft and chunk off easy, that I'm scared of puncturing the flightplate on a pine twig :/

which is exactly what happened to that roc i showed you in tahoe. i'm thinking it was made of this plastic, too. it landed in a tree branch and presto the flight plate had a stick through it.
i was amused.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:28 pm

there were a handful of gummy rocs... but i believe they were all heavier (175g+) and many of them ran well overweight.

there were far less of these than other models in that plastic though.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Weebl » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:21 pm

The colors I've seen them in are mostly White, and one yellow one. They sure do become nice turnover Rocs very quickly though! (Whether or not they're legal due to flightplate puntures is another story :-/)
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Equipment