: / Do i need a roc?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

: / Do i need a roc?

Postby zealot » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:34 am

ive been using goblins and rhynos for all my mid + short range shots... so many use the roc over something like the goblin, and im wondering why. can someone explain to me why the roc is the disc and help me decide if i should invest in a few now, before i get to used to my other discs..
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby sleepy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:21 am

Check out this thread and read the links in the Midrange section, specifically those listed under Roc. That should give you a good idea as to why the Roc deserves a trial period of at least a month or two in your bag.

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby presidio hills » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:00 am

in my eyes it's like this; roc is a great midrange... it goes far, it's predictable, and in DX you can beat 'em into their various stages and carry a few to suite all midrange needs. the DX fly the best, too.
the icing on the cake for me is that they can handle wind much better than most midranges because they have the bead on the bottom.

i threw the goblin and i must say it's straight and has great glide... it's not as fast as a roc and probably doesn't go as far (those are not strikes against it). my guess is, though, they get quite flippy once beat in, and that they can't be thrown when the wind picks up.

i suppose you could carry both because they are pretty different discs. goblin is more of a finesse midrange with very little fade. roc definitely has fade and needs to be thrown with more force. i personally like sticking with one mold but i wouldn't think you are crazy for carrying both.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Glock23 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:07 am

Yes. Take the time to learn it, and it will never leave your bag.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby zealot » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:52 am

: }
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:34 pm

I would say you are probably throwing your drivers on holes shorter than you should, the goblin and rhyno are fine for 200 in or even just 150 in depending on your distance. Longer midranges should play a bigger role in your bag and be thrown where they can reach (for instance depending on line I generally throw my wasps for anything 250-325'). All Im trying to get at is a longer mid fills a bigger gap between putters and drivers than a shorter midrange (goblin), and more stable midranges will stay in your bag alot longer than one thats out of the box straight.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby kling » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:22 pm

Just carrying two rocs, one beat in and one new is awesome. You just know how they're going to fly beforehand, and when you throw them they fly just like you thought they would. :)
kling
Noob

Postby zealot » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:38 pm

so a heavier goblin (175) wouldnt suffice for the longer midrange shots? its wierd these things have been flying like a dream for me and ive had no wind problems yet (playing canton, ohio's course at arboretum/spiker park)

thnx for all the input
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Glock23 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:19 pm

Hey Lock-off! I didn't even put 2 and 2 together, you must live right by me! I just moved to canton from wadsworth, and I actually work in canton. I play arbor/spiker all the time. Are you playing in the doubles on aug 19 or 20th? I think a friend (nerojr) and I are going to enter. I will probably even be at the course tomorrow. Sorry to waste space on your thread, it was just cool to see someone local. Have you checked out Medina, hudson, or massilon yet? If you ever want to head out, let me know. I have been looking for some more people to play with.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby zealot » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:00 pm

yeah man im the white guy with pretty long dreadlocks

and actually im gonna play all day tomorrow so we should throw together : )
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Glock23 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:16 pm

I have shaved head and drive an orange sunfire. Hope to catch up with you tomorrow. Gabe
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby kenny » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:11 pm

Dont forget Wooster its fun its a different kind of course than Canton. Medina is still fun but the walking path...... I just hope they dont take out 8 and 9.
kenny
Noob

Postby Glock23 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:46 am

Never tried wooster. I have heard it is alot like massilon. Medina is a great course. I almost like it better than canton. Hudson is very nice, with some awesome hole layouts, and great views of the lake, but their tee pads ruin the whole course. Lewisville, well it just sucks. You from around here too? Think we are going to play canton at 2 today, you should come out.
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby kenny » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:12 am

Im from Medina but Ill be moving to Canton somethime next month. I wish I could make it there today maybe someother time.
kenny
Noob

Postby zealot » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:16 am

that's cool. just get in touch.
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Equipment