good intermediate driver?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

good intermediate driver?

Postby swel304 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:36 am

First off i want to say how great this site is. In about a month my game has went from an average of 20+ to 5+. My drives still arent super long but my accuracy has improved like 1000%. The problem is now that my form is improving Im starting to turn over the drivers I am used to (a 174 panter and a 180 hotstamp disc kinda like a roc but lower profile). I got a set of new discs that included an orc, wraith, and arc angel, and so far the arc angel is the only one i can throw halfway decent, but i can still out drive it with my midrangers (when i dont turn them over). Can anyone reccomend an intermediate driver that may help me until i can generate the power to throw something like the wraith?
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Weebl » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:49 am

DX Gazelle or a D-Buzzz would be 2 good discs. The Gazelle being more of a driver and the Buzzz more of a midrange. Both are fairly friendly and will probably stay in your bag once you advance to faster drivers.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby BHW » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:18 am

I've been going through a very similar situation. I always threw midrange discs farther and better than longe range drivers. But as my throw develops, I'm getting more and more comfortable with drivers. The discs that I've found that work best for me so far:

straight shots:
Innova- DX Eagle, Champion Leopard (well broken in) , DX gazelle, and I have a Pro Gazelle that is actually Champion plastic that I like. The DX Cheetah might work great for you as well.

Discraft- XL in the basic plastic, not the premium stuff.

For shots that curve: Innova Champion Beast, DX Tee-Bird, Pro Wraith

Avoid the Champion and Elite plastics at your level. From my experience, they are way too dificult to throw well with a less-strong arm. I have a Champion Leopard that I can throw, and it's well broken in, and the Champion Beast I use when I need it to turn left. But those discs are just coming around for me. I've played off and on for over 10 years, but never practived enough or played frequently enough ot get better. This year I've gotten serious, and am playing way more frequently, and concentrating on developing a throw. As my throw develops, my preference in discs, changes. My old mid range discs that I threw for drivers, like Morays and Cheetahs are now turning over if I throw them hard. I know the Cheeta is called a driver, but I turn them over now. It and the Gazelle were the only drivers I could throw for a long time. But as my throw gets better, so does the range of discs I'm able to control, and throw somewhere besides due left of the tee box. Stay away from premium plastics, try to buy as many used discs as you can and try them out on a ball field somewhere. New discs take a long time to break in...and can get expensive.
BHW
Tree Magnet

Postby swel304 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:34 am

I do have a dx eagle in my bag that i can throw fairly well but its getting pretty beat up and a little unpredictable. I got a roc for my midrange which is working out great. I only have one champion plastic disc (valk) that i found, its ok but i prefer the dx plastic. From looking at the difference between the disc I can and cant throw properly Im thinking its the size of the rim. The discs with smaller rims like the panther feel more comfortable than stuff with a wide rim like the orc or wraith. I may try to pick up a gazelle and give it a try, and maybe a new eagle since i was throwing it well untill it lost an enormous chunk from its edge.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby presidio hills » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:32 am

the gazelle is like an eagle but slower... which is great for someone looking for an 'intermediate driver'. you might be able to throw a gazelle farther than an eagle for that reason... or at least almost as far with less effort.
the cyclone is the same as the gazelle (according to blake). and i'd say with all the hype blake's been giving both you should get some. plus they sound managable for your power level (unlike a wraith or orc).
you should be able to throw those two discs farther than orcs or wraiths... AND they will guide your form in the right direction. orcs and wraiths will kill your form if you're trying to get them to fly straight and don't have enough power yet.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:23 pm

you should be able to throw those two discs farther than orcs or wraiths

actually... most players will get longer freak throws with those two discs than with slower discs, but it will not be: a) consistent, b) accurate, c) predictable
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby redspexxx » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:02 pm

orcs are bad? im pretty new and i would like to break this mistake early if need be. orc is my main distance driver.
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby adidadg » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:02 pm

yeah, but consistent, predictable, and accurate throws are over rated :wink:
adidadg

Postby Mr. Merchant » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:07 pm

redspexxx wrote:orcs are bad? im pretty new and i would like to break this mistake early if need be. orc is my main distance driver.

orcs are fine if you have the arm. I like orcs as sidearm drivers.
Mr. Merchant
Noob

Postby adamschneider » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:37 pm

adidadg wrote:yeah, but consistent, predictable, and accurate throws are over rated :wink:

Hear hear! For those of us who play occasionally and aren't planning to quit our jobs and go on the pro disc golf tour, it's a lot of fun to rip off one of those "freak" throws... :)
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 164g Halo

Postby jgarcia9102 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:52 pm

adamschneider wrote:
adidadg wrote:yeah, but consistent, predictable, and accurate throws are over rated :wink:

Hear hear! For those of us who play occasionally and aren't planning to quit our jobs and go on the pro disc golf tour, it's a lot of fun to rip off one of those "freak" throws... :)

but its also pretty dissapointing when it takes 10 throws before you get one right. Been there, done that. Its much more satisfying to consistently drive 320 than the ocasional 375.

I used to throw with orcs, beasts, firebirds, then a few months ago i took a step back. I threw a gazelle for most drives, then switched to the teebird. Now i have both in my bag and im ocasionally throwing the orc again for wide open drives, but it has taken a while to throw it consistently.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:40 pm

Hear hear! For those of us who play occasionally and aren't planning to quit our jobs and go on the pro disc golf tour, it's a lot of fun to rip off one of those "freak" throws...

if you learn with the correct progression, then they aren't freak throws.

simply put using innova's speed ratings:
if you are throwing under 250', you should be throwing speed 5 or slower.
if you are throwing 250-325', you should be throwing speed 6 or slower.
if you are throwing 325-350', you should be throwing speed 9 or slower.
if you are throwing 350-400', you should be throwing speed 10 or slower.
if you are throwing over 400', you will be fine throwing speed 11.

it's pretty safe to say that everyone that takes the time to read/post on this forum has some goal or intention of getting better. if they didn't, they wouldn't read/post.

some people just want it to take less work (or not seem like work). playing, when non-competitive, is a form of practice.

i have a theory that if it costed money to play disc golf that there would be much fewer people who want to take short cuts. you don't see people dropping $30 for a round of golf and hitting big berthas off the tee on every hole during their first month of playing. it's weird to me that disc golfers seem to take that route so often.
Blake_T

Postby swel304 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:12 pm

A friend of mine just got a cyclone and didnt like it, I threw it once and thought it was awesome. I got a great throw with it so he decided not to sell it to me lol. If its like a gazelle then ill definitly pick up one or the other. I need a good wind disc anyway so it sounds win win. So should I even be throwing the orc or wraith for practice?
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Sokpuppet » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:13 pm

i have a theory that if it costed money to play disc golf that there would be much fewer people who want to take short cuts. you don't see people dropping $30 for a round of golf and hitting big berthas off the tee on every hole during their first month of playing. it's weird to me that disc golfers seem to take that route so often.

I think it has partially to do with the way discs are being marketed. When people are just getting started in the sport, they don't necessarily understand that one disc is going to take substantially more skill to throw than another. I mean, they're all frisbees, right? :lol:
In this situation, discs in flashy premium plastic with names like Wraith, Crush, Monster, etc are going to have a lot more appeal than that unassuming DX leopard sitting quietly on the bottom shelf. Especially given the demographic.

I do agree that if the sport were more expensive, the people who play it would be more focused on the development of their Skills than the development of their Bag. Not that I want to have to pay to play, of course. :wink:
Sokpuppet
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:46 pm

I need a good wind disc anyway so it sounds win win. So should I even be throwing the orc or wraith for practice?

the cyclone isn't superb into the wind, especially in d plastic. it does hold much better in x and z plastics, but i feel these are less attractive straight drivers.

as for the orc and wraith, if you stick to them for long hyzers until you are able to legitimately flatten one with a clean, torque-free throw, you will be golden.

I think it has partially to do with the way discs are being marketed.

i agree with this, but there is also the other standpoint of players that make this decision even after the information has been laid out in front of them.

one of the advantages i have of working at a shop is that about once a week someone comes in that i helped pick discs out for and they tell me i picked them the magic disc. they are usually surprised when i say something like "last september... blue polaris ls" and it was what they bought.

all of what i post here is tried and true from my experiences of introducing more than 300 people to disc golf. generally, i get people throwing 275+ during their first 18 holes (several of which were going more like 330'). out of the 10 or so women i have introduced to disc, 3 of them had their first 300' throw within 15 holes, 2 more of them had their first 275' throw within 15 holes, and this was well before i really knew all that much about technique.

it also seems like those i send down the path i learned with generally are the best players after playing a year compared to those that i run into after they have played a year and have to help them with a bag overhaul before they are really able to learn shots.
Blake_T

Next

Return to Equipment