good intermediate driver?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Ultium » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:02 pm

I think I fall into this category. I have been playing for 4-6 months and now drive 300-325 with reasonable accuracy. The disk I am most consistent with is a Valk that weights 168 grams (I weighed it). I also am about as good with a 175 Valk, but usually use it into the wind or for slightly shorter more controlled drives.

One of my problems is that when I go to the football field to practice it seems that I drive about the same with a wide range of disks. I throw the Avenger, Surge, Valk, Wraith and Crush all over 300 (most of these aren’t in my bag, but do come out a little when I practice). I know that I am not yet putting enough out there for some of those disks. However, I have tried some slower disks like the Teebird and really have to struggle to get it to break 300 whereas it seems effortless with the other disks. On the course I still stay away from faster disks like the Wraith, because I seem to occasionally make them go nose up (probably one out of seven or eight).

I have hit a plateau at this level for the last two months or so to the degree that I rarely ever even get in that freak throw that goes significantly further than 325. The only exception is when I switch to side arm where I can hit 350+ often enough though my accuracy with a side arm is only about 50/50 at any range.

Would I benefit from a disk with a speed rating of a 6 or 7? If so, is there something I should do differently to see the full potential of a disk like this?
Ultium
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:17 pm

Would I benefit from a disk with a speed rating of a 6 or 7? If so, is there something I should do differently to see the full potential of a disk like this?

yes.

from your experiences with the teebird, it appears you don't have a full understanding of how to make a disc perform a full flight just yet, unless it is a champ teebird... i've never thrown those very well.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:17 am

I guess you have to decide if your are playing just for the sheer joy of soaring discs through the sky (which is fine, I often do) or if you really mean to get good and start shooting more consistently lower scores.

I will say that being able to putt (say 50% from 40 ft) and snag an occassional 100 footer will do more for your scores than an extra 50' or even 100' of driver distance.

That being said, I would get a Buzz and FT Roc learn to throw right at the chains without fear, and work the discs both ways when needed....and learn to throw your putter....and make your putter your friend.

Barry Shultz threw most of the last WC witha Roc. Even the 450' holes. His reasoning was that it "goes where you point it".
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Ultium » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:19 pm

Blake_T wrote:

yes.

from your experiences with the teebird, it appears you don't have a full understanding of how to make a disc perform a full flight just yet, unless it is a champ teebird... i've never thrown those very well.

I certainly won't dispute this, but get confused that I can throw further and more accurately with faster disks. I have studied form as much as I can, though I have to learn through trial and error because I do not know many good players. I drive with the X-step and reach back method. I keep the disc close to my chest and have my grip the tightest at the rip point.

Still there must be a problem with my form. Strength is not an issue here, I don't think, because I can tomahawk a good deal further than my 325 backhand drive. However, I really limit myself on using the tomahawk because it is too tempting for me to do all the time, and that will kill my learning process.

Btw, the Teebird is star plastic.
Ultium
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:59 pm

I would say strength is the issue then, youre relying on too much strength instead of form in your backhand drives. This is why faster discs may seem more accurate is they mask of axis torque and bad wrist roll.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby presidio hills » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:35 pm

i stepped back to slower drivers about 6 months ago and i'm very happy i did. driving with them requires better form and not as much muscle. if you can break 300' with some fast overstable discs but struggle to get the teebird out there... perhaps you're strong arming your drivers? i did this for a long time. i feel like throwing slower drivers has helped me develope a more relaxed smoother form that incorporates all the body parts.
just like it's hard to strong arm a putter where you want it to go. to get real putter distance you gotta use the whole body and keep it relaxed and smooth.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Ultium » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:47 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:I would say strength is the issue then, youre relying on too much strength instead of form in your backhand drives. This is why faster discs may seem more accurate is they mask of axis torque and bad wrist roll.

I think what you and the poster after you are saying may have something to do with it. I was thinking of proceeding by slowing things down, decreasing strength and simply try to get a good snap. Is this a good idea? Anything else I should do?

Thank you for the advice.
Ultium
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:29 pm

slowing down is a good start.
Work on making your throw smooth, remember acceleration is more important than speed.
Throwing a slower driver will make you learn better form. a dx teebird would be good, because if you flip it you know that something w/ the throw went wrong. Cyclones and Gazelles are good and are alittle more forgiving.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Ultium » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:23 pm

Okay, today I actually went to an extreme. I left my bag at home and brought only two Wizards to the course. One hard, one soft, both 172. I knew that I could not get away with strong arming these disks and practiced a nice smooth release. I have to say the experience for me was profound. My accuracy went through the roof, and I really was not at all disappointed with the distance. In fact, I was almost dumb founded at the results. I think I am going to spend at least a week, maybe two, playing only with these putters. I hope that is not too extreme, but considering how much I learned in only 18 holes, I think it will be worth it.
Ultium
Noob

Postby discmonkey42 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:26 pm

I play with folks who use the wizard for 325 and in with deadly accuracy. When they throw a driver, you know they threw a driver because it just doesn't want to land. If you look at the lessons section of this board, you will find that this was one of the lessons. If you learned a lot from from this lesson, try the rest, they are invaluable and you will learn more from them than you thought possible.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:13 pm

Ultium wrote: I hope that is not too extreme, but considering how much I learned in only 18 holes, I think it will be worth it.

its definately not too extreme. I still play at least one putter and midrange only round a week (including 400'+ holes) and often a putter only round (same course). I have spent weeks working on driving putters when my form feels like its declining and it picks me right back up, and often gives me another step forward.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Weebl » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:54 pm

What gets your groove back on stronger, a broken in wizard you need to hyzer flip, broken in mediums, new wizards? This sounds like something i need to pay attention to.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:32 am

my broken in wizard is the only putter that never leaves the bag (wether Im carrying one two three 6 or 14 discs) It may be the elevation but it is still straight and predictable and dosnt hyzerflip w/ o 200' of power, but thats the wizard that can go 300 straight and 350 on a "distance line" (hyzerflip w/ alot of air under it)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:34 am

its accually that same yellow (now beige) med jerry garcia wizard that you traded to me (Im pretty sure it was you weebl)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Weebl » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:14 am

I think it was someone else, I got my second wizard from you the 172 S Wizard medium that was green and imho not medium (gateway said it was...) My 172 Soft is finally breaking in to be straight, no fade and holds any angle which is nice. I guess it shall be my workhorse for these 1 disc rounds.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment