Flash

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Flash

Postby jgarcia9102 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:42 pm

So i found a flash yesterday at the end of my round. I posted that i found it on my local Forum, but just in case i cant find the owner, how's it fly?

I know it sounds stupid, but i only had the chance to give it 2 throws, and they didnt go to well. One i griplocked, the other i tried to hyzer flip but gave it wayy to much hyzer.

from what i can tell, its a lot like my month old DX Valk. It didnt seem to have much LSS, so im thinking it will be a good hyzer flip disc. i also see that it has tons of glide for Z plastic, so i think it will be a good disc for me.

Any flaws/problems with the disc i should know about now?
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby dscglfgeo » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:47 pm

It's been my main driver ever since the Orc got to beat up and flippy. Rather than go out and buy new stuff I just grabbed some old stuff that I used to throw.

After throwing the Flash again I can't believe I ever stopped throwing it. If you can control it, it will be super long for you. I've been throwing mine 400 + for a while now. I like it better than my star wraith for long straight shots. it does get tricky to use in the wind though.
PDGA# 23933
Live life to the fullest you never know when it's going to end.
dscglfgeo
Noob

Postby jgarcia9102 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:58 pm

It dosent have much fade though, and thats a good thing most of the time, but i am just afraid for those times where im going to flip it or griplock it far right. I think once i learn it i will be fine. and even if someone claims it, i may invest in one myself if i like it. Its more comfortable in my hand than my valk, and the glide beats even my DX valk, so it seems like it may eventually push it out of the bag.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:19 pm

the downside of flashes are that they are squirrely.

the upside is that they are one of the longer discs on the market.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby jgarcia9102 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:38 pm

Blake_T wrote:the downside of flashes are that they are squirrely..

and thats different from basically every other champion disc how? :P

either way, i didnt really decide whether i liked it over the valk or not today because i didnt have the chance to throw it much. i guess it will just take time. I LOVE the glide on it though. i also think i should try it as a roller with that heavy rim it has...
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:05 am

non squirrely champ/z discs:

champ/star teebird
champ/star starfire
z predator
z avenger
champ/star firebird
z reaper
z talon
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

flash

Postby twmccoy » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:37 pm

The disc I compare the flash with is the orc. Very straight flight with a slight bit of high speed turn. It also has a decent fade at the end. Flashes are very color sensitive though. I've seen some be almost flippy while others fly like firebirds. Generally clear and blue ones are the most understable and orange ones are the most overstable. Don't ask me why, but it is a fact.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby jgarcia9102 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:51 pm

hmm, well mines an orange first run, but i can tell you it's nothing like my orc. it has considerable high speed turn, enough that im considering it as a roller, and little to no fade. My orc on the other hand has very high LSS, and not all that much high speed turn. Basically, the orc will come back if thrown flat, where the flash will not (with reasonable height for on the course).

like i said before, its almost identical to my dx valk of the same weight which has gotten some heavy use in the month ive had it.

ill try it as a roller next time im on the course, but dosent look like that will be today. 60mph winds here in rochester and storm warnings.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby CincyKeith » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:37 pm

hmm, well mines an orange first run, but i can tell you it's nothing like my orc. it has considerable high speed turn, enough that im considering it as a roller, and little to no fade. My orc on the other hand has very high LSS, and not all that much high speed turn. Basically, the orc will come back if thrown flat, where the flash will not (with reasonable height for on the course).

My first run orange flash has retired because of this reason. It was getting way too flippy, and for the longest time, I avoided Discraft's Z plastic, cuz I thought it was crap compared to Innova's Champion. Now, my opinion has changed considerably, and I think ESP is some of the best plastic I've ever thrown...(besides DX :lol: )
Practice, practice, practice. Especially with players that are better than you. It's one of the only ways to learn new things.
CincyKeith
Noob

Postby dflaschiii » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:54 pm

When shopping for a new driver one day I saw the Flash and was forced to buy it simply because my last name is Flaschner. I had a 174g clear plastic and it was very overstable and allowed virtually no glide whatsoever. Others have compared it to an Orc (which I get tons of glide on) but I'd say it's more like a Firebird or Banshee. Worked well for forehands and some hyzer shots, but I really had to rip down hard to get any sort of s-curve going. Lost it in a lake one day and was not too sad about it.
dflaschiii
Tree Magnet

Postby jgarcia9102 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:19 pm

looks like the flash is super inconsistent from run to run...
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:55 pm

flash is known for its inconsistancies, even run to run, my first run orange was more stable than any new champ orc Ive thrown... (first ace w/ that flash, still have it, dont throw it)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

flash

Postby twmccoy » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:00 pm

I found a first run orange flash (174g) last year that was very overstable. I've also thrown lots of yellow and blue ones. I get a different flight out of every flash I throw.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby calvarycoffee » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:43 am

for flippy flash throwers:

did your flash flip on you "out of the box" or did it just eventually wear that way?

mine doesn't flip easily. i'd love to over-work it to a flippy distance disk.

how many trees it will take to get it flippy? hehe
Do not resist chances. . . and there will be one less thing you cannot do -ACG
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby CincyKeith » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:00 am

Mine took precisely ONE ACE to get flippy. I would have compared my flash to a new Pro Beast before the fortunate collision with the chains. Couldn't control it afterwards, but I still consider it the best ace I've ever had.

Over the hill, and through the woods, to grandmothers house.........well, you get the idea.....340' uphill. It's harder to reach than you think.

Anyway to shrink the second picture to about the same size as the first?
Practice, practice, practice. Especially with players that are better than you. It's one of the only ways to learn new things.
CincyKeith
Noob

Next

Return to Equipment