LED Lights for glow golf

A place where people can buy, sell, and trade disc golf equipment. Trade at your own risk.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

LED Lights for glow golf

Postby Glock23 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:35 am

I am selling LED lights for use at night or glow games. Included will be a 10mm LED disc light, a 2032 lithium battery, and a diagram on how to install the light. The light will provide up to 3 weeks (504 hours) of continuous use. I am going to start selling these on ebay, but want to get some feedback first. If you want to give them a try, they are $2.50 for 1, or 3 for $5 and that includes shipping. You would pay more than that for just the battery at your local store, so this is a great deal. See photos below.
Last edited by Glock23 on Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:18 pm

Man, that Leopard looks like you put it through a garbage disposal....
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Glock23 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:31 pm

That leopard is so thrashed. You can throw it with a ton of hyser and it still fights to the right. On top of that, to test the lights I threw it full power at a concrete wall for a while, the light was perfect, the disc didn't take it so well. :lol:
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:47 pm

That's awesome... I need to thrash a disc too... just for fun.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Glock23 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:12 pm

Here are some new pictures. This is on a black D Buzz. The one is the disc in a black room with no lights or flash.
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby swel304 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:35 pm

so what if it lands top down? and what would you say the wieght gain/loss is? any severe effect on flight path?
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Glock23 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:09 pm

The light isn't hurt if it lands top down. Since it is an led, it is all encased in a hard resin, so it can take hard impacts without damage to the light. And unlike a normal bulb, an led doesn't rely on a fillament type of conductor. I have not seen any change in flight paths and I think it is due to 2 things. 1. The light weight/low profile of the setup. 2. Because it is centered on the disc. The battery weight approx 2.5g, and the LED and tape are even less.

I also have smaller red LEDs I will send with every order if you want to try something different. These will last 2-3 days on the same battery. Imho - the blue are much cooler.
Last edited by Glock23 on Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby swel304 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:17 pm

actually I meant, if it lands top down, you cant see the light :wink: heh. looks cool though. when you were originally talking about the idea I was thinking more along the lines of regular sized led's placed inside the rim, like maybe 3 spaced evenly around the disc, and inserted in a way that you could sand them down level with the disc and make it fell like they were not even there. I just ordered a new X buzz, so maybe I will break out the dremel this week and give it a shot with my z buzz.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Glock23 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:25 pm

when you were originally talking about the idea I was thinking more along the lines of regular sized led's placed inside the rim

That was my original thought. I even have some 5mm leds that fit into the rim. I can mail you some for free if you want to give it a try. The bad thing is, then you are adding the weight to the edge, and it is hard to fit a battery and the leads from the led. Also then the changes are permanent as you have to dremel out the edge of your discs (great minds think alike, I used my dremel when I tried it too). After messing with different options this seems like the best choice. When you are done with your round, pull it out and toss it in your bag and your disc is back to normal with no harm done. Plus the 10mm leds when trimmed down will last much longer due to their voltage and be brighter than other leds. As far as seeing when upside down...I have been using my first experiments in the photos, and I loaned my lit Z Buzzz to a friend tonight. On that you can see the light on both sides with ease. Let me know if you have any other ideas, this is fun to mess around with.
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby swel304 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:58 pm

someone was talking about filament light stirings, do you know where to get them? I think something like that could work too, on a transparent disc. if you could make a small channel inside the rim at the edge of the flight plate and lay in a light string all the way around, that would look nice. as for the other rim idea, I think your battery placement would be best for it still. keep the wieght in the middle. the wire coming from the led's can be extremely thin and would be easy to glue or tape down in straight lines from lights to the battery. did you use some type of battery clip or just tape the wires to each side of the cell? If you want to get real fancy I can have one of my insturcters sketch me up the schematic for the circuit to make them flash :wink: It could be done with a small 555 timer IC chip and a resistor or two.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Glock23 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:26 pm

:lol: I looked into the resistor thing too. I thought it would be getting a bit carried away...lol. I have no idea about the light string stuff, sounds fun though. I just use tape to attach the leads, effective, easy and cheap. What do you think about using a glue or silicone sealer? I thought about soder, but lithium is when it reacts with fire = risky. I decided to wire up a wildcat to get some pictures on a Z Disc. I used a clear tape on this one.
Here is one from the side:
Top;
Bottom:
Lights out with a mirror :lol: :
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Jwt4412 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:32 pm

Are they legal, cuz this is cool.
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby Glock23 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:40 pm

Are they legal, cuz this is cool.

They should be legal for glow & night games. From what I understand the tourny directors ok lights on discs during those tournaments. These will effect a disc much less than any of the other ones that are sold, and they last much longer. I just took the light off my wildcat, and you can't even tell it was there.
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby swel304 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:14 pm

the glow zcat looks awesome in the dark picture. I dont think I would attempt to solder to the battery, tape should be just fine. Ya know on a z/ce disc you could even take a regular led, tape the leads down with the light coming straight off the edge of the battery cell (kinda like a little star with led points), then just slap the whole thing to the bottom of the flight plate with clear tape. Then you could do the 3 or more leds, pointed towardt he edges, with all the wieght in the center, and not have to put a hole in the disc. I would also guess that under the plate would be even less chance of effecting flight, maybe reduce glide slightly with less air pocket volume. I was messing around and none of the led's I have are that brights (all 1/4 watt i think) so i need to get some higher powered ones. how many led's can you run off that cell before they all start to dim?
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Glock23 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:06 am

Ya know on a z/ce disc you could even take a regular led, tape the leads down with the light coming straight off the edge of the battery cell (kinda like a little star with led points), then just slap the whole thing to the bottom of the flight plate with clear tape. Then you could do the 3 or more leds, pointed towardt he edges, with all the wieght in the center, and not have to put a hole in the disc.

This is an option. I know I have had 6 LEDs on one battery without seeing any signs of fading, so 3 shouldn't be a problem. The only issue I see with mounting it on the bottom is that it would be harder to get a good seal with the tape as you will have 3 leds to contend with. I will test it tonight when I get home from work. If anyone wants more than one led per battery, just let me know and we can work something out.
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to Buy/Sell/Trade