Pipe Smoking

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Amateur » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:07 pm

Actually my whole family (but me) smokes. I love the smell of pipe tobacco being burned.

Now as for all my grandparents who have died of lung cancer...

What are you waiting for? Get your ass to church. :twisted:
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:40 pm

Amateur wrote:Actually my whole family (but me) smokes. I love the smell of pipe tobacco being burned.

Now as for all my grandparents who have died of lung cancer...

What are you waiting for? Get your ass to church. :twisted:

Well I would tell you where to go, but you probably now. I have suggestions of actions you can perform against yourself, but I'm sure you're aware of them.

And my religious beliefs have nothing to do with you. So now I got Jehova's Witness at the door; mormon's chasing me on bicycles; and this guy harassing me here....
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:28 am

How goes the pipe hunting? I was at an antique fair this weekend and picked up a decent hand-carved nording for 8 bucks! I want to replace the stem before I smoke it, but these start at 100 bucks, the hand-carved ones even more!

May be something to consider though you may not be able to pick out the better pipes. Interestingly, the plainest or ugliest pipe sometimes turns out to be a gem.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby krusen » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:03 pm

Haven't really had the opportunity to check anything out. Truthfully, I'm sorta hesitant to dish out $60 on a pipe right away. Can you recommend something in the $30 range? I might have a chance this weekend to get to a shop in the Twin Cities area.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:10 pm

krusen wrote:Haven't really had the opportunity to check anything out. Truthfully, I'm sorta hesitant to dish out $60 on a pipe right away. Can you recommend something in the $30 range? I might have a chance this weekend to get to a shop in the Twin Cities area.

Let me browse. Right of the top of my head: Bjarnes makes a good, cheap pipe or rather economy pipes. Starting at about 30-35, then jumps to 45, then about 50. After this, there are better price for the money. (Rather, I prefer a 100-300 savinelli than a 100-300 Bjarnes).

One thing to consider that we haven't talked about is finish. Smoother finishes sometimes burn hotter, so I recommend a sandblast finish. Are you in the Missoura area, I was thinking I could mail you some samples. But it may be pointless since you may not be able to find that blend there. I sometimes drive to corpus and San Antonio just to get blends I cannot find locally.

The Internet is a great place to get tobacco and accesories. You know you will need a pipe tool? (get a cheapie like 1-3 bucks).

Will browse if I have a chance and give you more recommendations. Avoid no name pipes.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby domromer » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:24 pm

How much is the least I can spend for a pipe that won't ruin the smoking experince. I want to try pipes, but don't want to shell out a bunch of money if I don't like it.
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby redspexxx » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:20 pm

corn cob pipe-$5
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:31 pm

domromer wrote:How much is the least I can spend for a pipe that won't ruin the smoking experince. I want to try pipes, but don't want to shell out a bunch of money if I don't like it.

I had some very nice (and cheap) pipes made by Bjarnes. They were nice, smoked just a little hot, and at the time I was buying them for about 35 bucks. Price might have gone up. Savinelli and Peterson, which are big time pipe makers of quality pipes, have some economy models for about 50 which I consider a great buy.

If you are serious, I can search when I get a chance. Also, the Internet will always be cheaper than a local shop. But I like to be able to hold a pipe when choosing one, plus if we don't support our local shops, one day we won't have any.

I really enjoyed smoking my pipes (Stanwell that cost about 75, still cheap) this rainy weekend while drinking Irish Breakfast Tea.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby domromer » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:02 pm

I think I'll probably buy a corn cob pipe and try some diffirent tobacco samples. There is a really good tobacco store here in town where I buy my roll-your-own stuff.
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:54 am

domromer wrote:I think I'll probably buy a corn cob pipe and try some diffirent tobacco samples. There is a really good tobacco store here in town where I buy my roll-your-own stuff.

That is a good way to try out tobacco types to find some you like. I never did like corn cobs; I have several as many like to give them to me as gifts, and some smoke okay. But, it's just not the same as a good piece of brier.

One other thing that Im not sure if I mentioned: antique shops sometimes have good pipes for a really cheap price (5-20 Bucks); however, you have to kinda know the difference between a good pipe and a cheapie. I did pick up a nording hand carved for $8 at an antique shop.

Incidentally, my nice Savinelli special edition "alligator" pipe has a bite mark from a damned mouse!
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Dunhill Nightcap?

Postby Discoman » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:33 pm

Just inherited my Pa Pa's Handcarved briarwood pipe and picked a tin of Dunhill Nightcap. Any experience with this blend? I am gonna try it at the period break of the Sharks Devils game after my Martini :D
Discoman
Tree Magnet

Re: Dunhill Nightcap?

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:39 am

Discoman wrote:Just inherited my Pa Pa's Handcarved briarwood pipe and picked a tin of Dunhill Nightcap. Any experience with this blend? I am gonna try it at the period break of the Sharks Devils game after my Martini :D

I had bad experiences with Dunhill but not that particular blend; I'll read up on it and see what it's composed of.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Dunhill Nightcap?

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:30 pm

Discoman wrote:Just inherited my Pa Pa's Handcarved briarwood pipe and picked a tin of Dunhill Nightcap. Any experience with this blend? I am gonna try it at the period break of the Sharks Devils game after my Martini :D

That is an interesting blend composed of latakia and perique. Perique is a tobacco that is produced in certain regions of Louisians; I'm yet to find a pure sample of it (haven't tried that hard actually).

Latakia has an herbal aroma to me. I originally didn't like latakia as it reminds me of the herbs my grandparents used to burn to clense the house. People had told me that you have to progress as a pipe smoker to appreciate latakia.

Still, at the time I started the thread, I didn't care for latakia blends. Guess what? It has grown on me that I am going to buy it in bulk (rather than tin). It is a very relaxing smoke. having said that, I'm not sure it's for new pipe smokers.

My take: new smokers normally lean toward the sweeter blends then progress to burley and then to English and latakia blends.

For me, if I want to taste tobacco, I smoke a cigar. When I smoke a pipe, I'm looking for some sweetness or complicated blend. Oh, and I prefer scotch or bourbon with this type of tobacco. Let me know what you thought of it because I may order me a tin.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:51 am

I just ordered 2 pipes (savinelli and a Nording free hand signature) along with Dunhill night cap, my mixture, and vanilla cavendish blends.

I'll let you know what I think in a couple of weeks.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Enjoying my pipe..

Postby Discoman » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:26 am

Found a real tobacconist in my town and picked up an ounce of Danish Cherry and a blend called Irish Delight. Building up a nice cake in my pipe, smoke is getting cooler each pipe full, enjoying the process...haven't smoked the Night cap in a bit just letting the pie season on the same stuff and appreciating the whole affair, considering a second pipe as well.
Discoman
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.