The Laid-Off Club

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The Laid-Off Club

Postby Luke » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:52 pm

I got employee of the year... at Sears. Laugh at my 12 dollars an hour all you want.
Luke
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby taylor714 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:00 pm

Luke wrote:I got employee of the year... at Sears. Laugh at my 12 dollars an hour all you want.

12 bucks an hour is better than being unemployed and earning 0 dollars an hr.
taylor714
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Eraser Wizard

Postby JR » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:48 pm

taylor714 wrote:
Luke wrote:I got employee of the year... at Sears. Laugh at my 12 dollars an hour all you want.

12 bucks an hour is better than being unemployed and earning 0 dollars an hr.

If it helps avoiding starvation... People get paid a lot less in countries with higher overall living costs too. So it's not totally bad if not great either.

Damn yuppies. Prove to me scientifically that not all jobs are required. What's so nice about reversing diversification of work? It's not effective to have a doctor growing his food. So no job should be laughed at. Or you might have to start composting your garbage and hauling them away when you're not slaving at the farm scraping together your living. Or being a bandit robbing others of their food. I'm certainly not laughing at anybody's job. Neither should be anyone else. Those that do should spend a little time at the sewers learning the facts of life. The worst offenders should go to NY without weapons to wrestle the alligators there :-D
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Leopard » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:58 pm

maks wrote:
Ted Damson wrote:in the middle of the economic disaster, my boss called me stupid to my face. i made that my last day, hard times or not :)

thats biggidy bogus man. i woulda been pissed.... cant you do something about that? like calling HR?

heh... that person was HR / co-owner (of Millennium Golf Discs)
i was gonna leave anyway, i'd been hunting/interviewing ever since that person came on board.
but before this, i hadn't planned on directly competing against them (and a product which i invented and developed 3 years ago) with a new, far superior design, lower cost, and better service. i'm so dumb. :lol:
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby taylor714 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:19 pm

Ted Damson wrote:
maks wrote:
Ted Damson wrote:in the middle of the economic disaster, my boss called me stupid to my face. i made that my last day, hard times or not :)

thats biggidy bogus man. i woulda been pissed.... cant you do something about that? like calling HR?

i was gonna leave anyway, i'd been hunting/interviewing ever since that person came on board.
but before this, i hadn't planned on directly competing against them (and a product which i invented and developed 3 years ago) with a new, far superior design, lower cost, and better service. i'm so dumb. :lol:

oops :lol:
taylor714
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Eraser Wizard

Postby black udder » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:32 pm

Ted Damson wrote:
maks wrote:

I just don't get it. Why do people think that just because somebody works for them, it's okay to treat them like that? You ask me, that's one of the reasons people keep going nuts and shooting people. Frustration at being treated so poorly and feeling like there is nothing they can do.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby JimW » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Sears Holdings Corporation employees unite! (Kmart here)
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby Luke » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:02 pm

I got a power of one today! One hundred percent CSAT. I'm not sure if that carries across the board, but I'm going to buy a Blu-Ray player with my power of ones. I'm only 550 points short. My managers may get pissed when I do that, though.
Luke
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby roadkill » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:05 am

I'm trying not to join the LO club. My division went from 150 to 130 in December. Earlier this week we had a conference call letting us know we are being pared down to 85. I haven't been given any official word yet but my boss said he expects me to stay on. Given this environment I'm not doing any complaining and being sure to dot all i's and cross all T's.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Craig Smolin » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:39 am

Been unemployed since the Super Bowl. Three dozen resumes later and the only interview I've had is with a corporate recruiter who loves my experience but can't actually get me a real interview. Super frustrating.

Positives include not waking up at 5am and driving an hour to work each way, playing more disc golf in the last two months than in the previous two years, surfing the internet and watching TV in the mornings with a cup of coffee and my dog, and not being stressed out about work.

Negatives include only getting $505 a week from CT Unemployment, my wife harping on me to do a better job at searching for a job, and yes, not being stressed out about work.
The University of Michigan - "Hail to the Victors" - Class of '99
Drivers: TLs, Sidewinders, Wraiths
Mid-ranges: Shark, Meteor, Buzzz, Wasp
Putters: Wizards
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Postby RustyP » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:28 pm

Technically fired, not laid-off...but I'm almost positive I was let go because the company I worked for was losing money due to many of our customers (trucking companies) going out of business, and they needed to cut some costs fast.

Long story short, been jobless for about 2 months, still waiting on unemployment to kick in, job market is non existent in Texarkana, moving back home to Dallas in May, gonna live rent-free on my grandparents' land near Lake Tawokoni for a while...will be eating a lot of catfish until I find a new job :lol:
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby dgdave » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:21 pm

If any of you guys have manager expirience, look into CPI Corp. They are the company that runs Sears Portrait Studios and Picture Me Portraits in WalMart. You don't have to have any photography background. There is a huge bonus program (up to 37.5% of your annual salary), 4% match on 401k, lots of PTO, and we are actually making money as a company!! Along with all that, people actually got raises. I got almost 20% raise this year.

There are also tech and IT positions.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby krusen » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:46 pm

My wife and I were both laid off in January along with about 1000 others in this town of 13,000. About 40% company wide, and the job losses will most likely increase from the news that we have been hearing. Worked for the leading supplier of suspensions for hard drives. We got full pay and benefits up until a week ago. Bought a house 2 years ago this coming May in the same town as the company. Not a good place to be right now. Looking at a 1 hr commute min. Hoping to find something soon. I'm afraid this may only be the beginning of a very dark time for the United States. Time to buy ammo and gold. :(
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby maks » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:53 pm

my name is mike and im also laid off club :cry:

for like a week now i think ive worked like 30 hours in the last thirty days. who knew living paycheck to paycheck would actually catch up with me.

dumb :lol:
maks
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Super-Roc

Postby SkaBob » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:41 pm

I'm not laid off again yet...but I will be on my birthday! yay!

Actually, I'm not being sarcastic with that "yay"...the job I've been at is the worst I've ever worked in 14 years in IT, and I consider it a genuinely good birthday present to not have to work it anymore! :lol:

We'll see what I find once I start looking...right after my birthday I'm going on a road trip, and I'm gonna be canvassing a bunch of places between here and the east coast with my resume...hopefully I won't have to take another shit job...
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.