The Laid-Off Club

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The Laid-Off Club

Postby BLURR » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:10 pm

Come to Iowa Bob...lots of IT positions here(Lots of sweet dg here too).
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby keltik » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:20 pm

I was laid off Feb. 24 2009. I haven't found real work since then (8 months). And I found out Monday that my Unemployment Insurance has been exhausted. I've been watching CNN this afternoon and it looks like i won't have a job for Xmas or New Years.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby The Bird Man » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:44 pm

Home Depot hired me for 90 days. I showed up for work every day, worked hard and they didn't keep anybody that was hired at the same time as me. They just don't like paying benefits. I guess they really are the Wall-Mart of home improvement.
The Bird Man
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby SkaBob » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:22 am

BLURR wrote:Come to Iowa Bob...lots of IT positions here(Lots of sweet dg here too).

Yeah, but then I have to live in IOWA!

:lol:
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Postby BLURR » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:25 am

Yeah...that is the downside about it. We are only like 3-4 years behind the times here :lol:

The nice thing about Iowa though...cost of living is dirt cheap.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby chiggins » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:35 am

BLURR wrote:Yeah...that is the downside about it. We are only like 3-4 years behind the times here :lol:

The Quad Cities area's a total hotbed of dg action though, yeah?

I kinda like the idea of moving somewhere that's cheap, friendly, and doesn't have much going on except the several championship course in the area :).
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Timko » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:02 am

BLURR wrote:Yeah...that is the downside about it. We are only like 3-4 years behind the times here :lol:

And it's not Detroit.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby keltik » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:06 am

Furthur wrote:

And it's not Detroit.

Having just been booted from the Automotive Industry i've worked with a lot of people from Detroit. and Oddly enough they really like that city. I don't understand why but they do.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby BLURR » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:26 am

chiggins wrote:

I kinda like the idea of moving somewhere that's cheap, friendly, and doesn't have much going on except the several championship course in the area :).

Between DSM and the QC...you've got all sorts of championship quality courses(They just hosted the USWDGC this year). Look for the QC to be hosting some big tournaments in the future. They have some good things happening over there.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby Timko » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:28 am

BLURR wrote:
chiggins wrote:

Between DSM and the QC...you've got all sorts of championship quality courses(They just hosted the USWDGC this year). Look for the QC to be hosting some big tournaments in the future. They have some good things happening over there.

Don't forget the Corridor!
Timko

Postby SkaBob » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:52 am

keltik wrote:
Furthur wrote:

And it's not Detroit.

Having just been booted from the Automotive Industry i've worked with a lot of people from Detroit. and Oddly enough they really like that city. I don't understand why but they do.

Detroit's unlike any other place I've been. People're struggling everywhere, but here it feels more like we're struggling together, rather than all struggling on our own.

That, and it's a very honest city. So many places I've been people will put up a front or take on some air to present the image they want. Here, if people think you're an asshole, they let you know without mincing words about it. There's no fake-love here like there is out in Cali. Some D-town transplants out there I know are always telling me about these people that utterly LOATHE them, but are constantly being super polite and pretending to be friendly, and at most being totally passive-aggressive in their dislike... Here, if you're not liked, nobody's going to go out of their way to pretend otherwise.

You don't see that many places. NYC almost qualifies, but they're like the anti-california there...There, you're just not hip if you don't hate everybody.

Oh, and we've got the best thai food I've had in 8 states and 3 provinces.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Postby Timko » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:58 am

I only lived in Detroit for a year, and I was 2 at the time, so I don't remember any of it, other than my parents saying there was no way they'd raise their kids there.
Timko

Postby SkaBob » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:14 pm

The funny thing is that Detroit's nowhere near as bad a place as people think it is. There're only a handful of streets in the core of downtown that are really "dangerous", and even those are OK to walk around as long as you look like you're supposed to be there (heck, the city's biggest goth club is right on Cass...if 500 scrawny, pale white kids can walk around safely, most other people can! :lol:)

The government here is corrupt, so are the detroit public schools...that's part of the whole "get rich quick" mentality that's flourished downtown thanks to the likes of Coleman Young and Kwame Kilpatrick. With some major busts going on, that might finally make some progress soon... as long as our wonderful (coughsputterchoke) governor doesn't run the state completely out of business first!

It's easy enough to find some place to send your kids for a decent education here, too...most of the suburbs have pretty good schools, it's just the detroit public school district that's garbage.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Postby BLURR » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:41 pm

SkaBob wrote:It's easy enough to find some place to send your kids for a decent education here, too...most of the suburbs have pretty good schools, it's just the detroit public school district that's garbage.

Iowa ranked 2nd nationally in college entrance exams in states that use the ACT format(25 of them). Also...Iowa has the highest graduation rate in the nation I do believe.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby keltik » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:08 am

gonna revive this slightly and see if anyone of us has left the government cheese line and got themselves a jobby job.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.