Homebrewers unite!

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Homebrewers unite!

Postby spitfire » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:26 am

This thread is for all the homebrewers here to have our own spot. Post pictures of your brews, keezer's, talk home brew etc.
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: pro wraith

Re: Homebrewers unite!

Postby spitfire » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:27 am

Rather than spending money on a bottling tree I made my own bottle dryer for free. Here is is.

It holds 72 bottles I think, I never have it that full so I don't remember but it holds 70+ for sure.
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Parks » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:03 pm

Nope, it holds 63.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby spitfire » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:25 pm

Parks wrote:Nope, it holds 63.

Uhm no :| it holds 72....there is an open spot behind the last bottle on the right making it 8 rows of 9 or 72 total
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Roy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:25 pm

I was givin a MR beer kit that I made a couple of months ago. Nothing special, but it was pretty fun.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby taylor714 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:04 pm

mmmmm.....always wanted to try some home brews. Only ever had homeade wine.
taylor714
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Eraser Wizard

Postby bcsst26 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:33 pm

My buddy makes some good home brews. Reading about it and drinking his makes me want to get into it.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby spitfire » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:22 pm

You should jump in, the water is nice :lol:

Really it is fun just to brew your own and try new styles and change up a recipe and compare.
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Postby bcsst26 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:17 am

Is there a starter kit you can buy to test it out or is this something you have to jump into full force?
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby spitfire » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:30 am

There are many options available. There are starter kits but you don't need one to get started. I will put a list together of the basic things you would want and the other brewers here can add to it if I missed anything. I will put the list together when I get to work.
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Postby bcsst26 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:00 am

spitfire wrote:There are many options available. There are starter kits but you don't need one to get started. I will put a list together of the basic things you would want and the other brewers here can add to it if I missed anything. I will put the list together when I get to work.

Sweet. You must have a job sort of like mine. A lot of down time??
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby spitfire » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:59 am

Yeah I usually have a little down time :wink:

Here is a link to where I got my supplies. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products ... 11166&fd=1

The brewing basics equipment kit will serve you fine to start and is a good price. I found there service to be good as well.

I was going to make a list of things that would be nice to have but that kit really has it all to start.

Other things that you will need
A stock pot to boil in. I use a 5 gallon pot but if you had to you could get away with a 3-4 gallon
Ingredients, you would be doing extract kits so go here and click recipe kits http://www.midwestsupplies.com/
Bottles- Start saving all your pop off bottles as you will use 48+ for a 5 gallon batch

Things that would be nice to have
12" thermometer
18" + stainless spoon
auto siphon

I would also go here and do some reading http://www.homebrewtalk.com/ as it is a great resource and has helped me greatly. Also, check out youtube for homebrew videos.
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Postby disc junkie » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:25 am

spitfire wrote:Yeah I usually have a little down time :wink:

Here is a link to where I got my supplies. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products ... 11166&fd=1

The brewing basics equipment kit will serve you fine to start and is a good price. I found there service to be good as well.

I was going to make a list of things that would be nice to have but that kit really has it all to start.

Other things that you will need
A stock pot to boil in. I use a 5 gallon pot but if you had to you could get away with a 3-4 gallon
Ingredients, you would be doing extract kits so go here and click recipe kits http://www.midwestsupplies.com/
Bottles- Start saving all your pop off bottles as you will use 48+ for a 5 gallon batch

Things that would be nice to have
12" thermometer
18" + stainless spoon
auto siphon

I would also go here and do some reading http://www.homebrewtalk.com/ as it is a great resource and has helped me greatly. Also, check out youtube for homebrew videos.

Thank you soooo much for this info! I have been on the fringe of brewing my own for a while now. I think I am finally going to start here in the near future.

I figure being the beer snob that I am, I might as well start brewing my own.

I was talking with my land loard the other day about brewing your own brew and his number 1 advice was to get a mini fridge for a kegerator. His reasoning behind this was because bottling beer is a big pain in the ass (so he says, Ive never done it) and he just likes it from the tap more.

What do think about that...is bottling really that big of a pain and would the cost difference between bottling your beer versus getting a kegerator be that drastic.
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby disc junkie » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:29 am

Spitfire...I just checked into those links you posted....that is a gret place to get started...Thanks for posting...hopefully I can get started in the next few months!!
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby PeterM_Vang » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:46 am

I received a brewing kit last year for Christmas and haven't started yet. I did brew/distill my first batch of rice/saki/rice wine/vodka/moonshine though. I still don't know what to call it yet. Maybe just rice vodka. I made it from an old family recipe passed down to me from my grandma. It's some pretty wicked stuff. It's almost time to make another batch or finally start brewing some beer.

You guys should also check out The Northern Brewer.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/
Their forums are very good too. Check it out.
PeterM_Vang
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ROC

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.