Interesting books to read.

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Interesting books to read.

Postby maks » Sun May 24, 2009 12:25 am

i like to read but dont really know what good ones are out there... so i figured i would ask what you guys would suggest.

the books ive liked a lot so far are.

The Stranger by Albert Camus
Into the wild....

ive always wanted to read the more famous capote (sp?) book have not gotten around to it yet.

All suggestions are appreciated

thanks
maks
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Super-Roc

Re: Interesting books to read.

Postby Working Stiff » Mon May 25, 2009 2:42 am

maks wrote:the books ive liked a lot so far are.

Into the wild....
It has been a long time since I read it, but I remember that when I read Into Thin Air the first time I didn't put it down and read it straight through. I actually just finished Under the Banner of Heaven tonight. It's a good read, although pretty biased. It was just biased in a way that I tended to agree with. Of the three I still like Into the Wild the best, but I would recommend any of the three.

If you like racing or NASCAR (since they are not the same thing :P) I just read a book called Driving with the Devil that I liked quite a bit. Actually a lot of it deals with Southern culture and moonshine, which is all twisted together with the birth of NASCAR. I didn't go back and fact check it very well so I cant vouch for accuracy, but it was a decent read.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby TEX » Mon May 25, 2009 2:51 am

There is a book that I read in high school called Mig Pilot: The Final Escape of Lt. Belenko. Its a true story of a Russian officer who defected by steeling a highly confidential Russian airplane. It is an excellent book.
When Life gives you lemon's, make lemonade and share it with someone else.
TEX
Tree Magnet

Postby Craig Smolin » Mon May 25, 2009 8:31 am

This is a thread that is about to take on a life of its own ...

Here's several of my favorite authors, you can't go wrong with anything by them, but I'll give a few specifics ...

1. Hunter S. Thompson - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72

2. Philip K. Dick - A Scanner Darkly (great Richard Linklater movie adaptation by the way)

3. Kurt Vonnegut - Breakfast of Champions, Slaughterhouse Five

4. Chuck Palahniuk - Fight Club, Invisible Monsters

5. Frank Herbert - original six Dune books - the BEST sci-fi series of all time

6. Mark Bowden - Black Hawk Down, Killing Pablo ... Bowden is a solid non-fiction author
The University of Michigan - "Hail to the Victors" - Class of '99
Drivers: TLs, Sidewinders, Wraiths
Mid-ranges: Shark, Meteor, Buzzz, Wasp
Putters: Wizards
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Postby ferretdance03 » Mon May 25, 2009 2:43 pm

Craig Smolin wrote:4. Chuck Palahniuk - Fight Club, Invisible Monsters

All of Palahniuk's books are a good read, if you're in to his style. I am.
I also recommend anything by William Christopher Baer.
My favorite books are Fahrenheit 451, Animal Farm and Brave New World. It's funny, I don't really remember liking them that much when I was forced to read them in school, but since then, I've reread all of them, and thoroughly enjoyed each.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby Elevated Plastic » Mon May 25, 2009 4:20 pm

a crude and funny bathroom book...... I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell
So many courses, so little time......
Elevated Plastic
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Leopard » Mon May 25, 2009 4:32 pm

Johnny Got His Gun will sunshine your day, maybe even help your mental game
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby GCSUbgeorge » Mon May 25, 2009 5:47 pm

Elevated Plastic wrote:a crude and funny bathroom book...... I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell

The stories in this book used to be available (and might still be) at tuckermax dot com. I have been reading these stories since 2002.
GCSUbgeorge
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova

Postby maks » Mon May 25, 2009 10:04 pm

Elevated Plastic wrote:a crude and funny bathroom book...... I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell

i have this one but have yet to read it yet....my brother gave it to me and said id love it.

one i always liked was "the modern drunkard". anyone read this??
maks
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Tue May 26, 2009 1:41 am

To find interesting parallels to the world today I suggest reading The decline and fall of the Roman empire and The rise and fall of the third reich.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue May 26, 2009 6:14 am

The Fourth Turning. It changed my view of everything and everyone. Basically an explanation of generational change and how it is cyclic, not linear. Each generation REACTS to the previous one, keeping everything in balance.

Liberty and Tyranny. Every American should read this. Period.

Dumb Money. Best explanation of the financial meltdown I could find. Written by the financial editor of Newsweek. It is entertaining too.

The Communist Manifesto by Marx is great too. Also relatively entertaining.

I am not really into fiction any more.... as you can see.

All of the Uncle John's Bathroom Readers are awesome. I have a whole stack. Great trivia.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue May 26, 2009 8:03 am

Craig Smolin wrote:3. Kurt Vonnegut - Breakfast of Champions, Slaughterhouse Five!!!!! Must Read

4. Chuck Palahniuk - Fight Club, Invisible Monsters

5. Frank Herbert - original six Dune books - the BEST sci-fi series of all time

6. Mark Bowden - Black Hawk Down, Killing Pablo ... Bowden is a solid non-fiction author

Chuck Palahniuk is pretty ok... Fight Club is awesome but his writing style starts to get old for me after 2-3 more of his novels.

Gotta check out this Frank Herbert, my favorite sci-fi book of all time is Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein. F'ing awesome!!!

Finders Keepers is another good and quick read by Mark Bowden.

I really enjoyed The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Watch for the film to come out later this year.

After all this book talk, I need to visit the library.

Fiction > Non-Fiction IMO
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby some call me...tim? » Tue May 26, 2009 9:22 am

I need to give the Dune series another go, I thought the first book was awesome, but the second one was a burden for me to get through. The third was better, but still not as good as the original, IMO. I hear though, that you need to get through those so that you can read the fourth one, which is supposed to be awesome--I just never got there.

I've always had a guilty pleasure with fantasy books, read 'em ever since I was in elementary school, but it's always been "guilty" because a lot of the books really feel like they're written for teenagers. Even the writers that are usually hailed as being the good ones, such as Robert Jordan and Terry Goodkind, I find to be somewhat formulaic and have a certain amount of cheesiness to them. I've been turned on to George R.R. Martin recently though, and I HIGHLY recommend checking out his "Song of Ice and Fire" saga. It is most definitely written for adults (lots of graphic violence, strong language and "adult situations"), and "epic" doesn't even begin to describe the scope of it. All of the characters are well developed, you even end up rooting for the "bad guys" in some parts because of their depth and humanity. Comparing Martin's books to most other fantasy books is like comparing the Christian Bale Batman movies to the original Batman TV show. If you're a fan of the genre at all, I think it'd be nearly impossible to be disappointed with these.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby maks » Tue May 26, 2009 6:33 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:The Fourth Turning. It changed my view of everything and everyone. Basically an explanation of generational change and how it is cyclic, not linear. Each generation REACTS to the previous one, keeping everything in balance.

whoaa...

sounds like a book i need to read.
maks
Fairway Surgeon

Postby black udder » Tue May 26, 2009 7:05 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:The Fourth Turning. It changed my view of everything and everyone. Basically an explanation of generational change and how it is cyclic, not linear. Each generation REACTS to the previous one, keeping everything in balance.

Liberty and Tyranny. Every American should read this. Period.

Dumb Money. Best explanation of the financial meltdown I could find. Written by the financial editor of Newsweek. It is entertaining too.

The Communist Manifesto by Marx is great too. Also relatively entertaining.

My question here is are you entertained or depressed upon completing the book? Might be just because of my age, too. I bet they are really informative and eye opening though.

I have a hard time watching stuff like this, let alone reading it. I prefer to escape and try and forget about it all. For that, I enjoy Steven Brust, Raymond Feist, Terry Brooks and most recently Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series. Steven Pressman's The War of Art for personal discovery as well as Rick Warren's a Purpose Driven Life.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.