Interesting books to read.

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Interesting books to read.

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue May 26, 2009 8:56 pm

I like learning about stuff I want to learn about.

I used to like Steven King, but he sucks now.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby black udder » Wed May 27, 2009 6:00 am

Bradley Walker wrote:I like learning about stuff I want to learn about.

I used to like Steven King, but he sucks now.

Yeah, I'm with you about learning stuff. I just don't see how you can keep digging into what you did into and not need heavy anti-depression medication :)

Steven King was always too wordy for me. I liked Dean Koontz. He's been incredibly prolific. What other stuff do you (or have you) read to learn about besides the people stuff (economics, politics and such)?
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby chiggins » Wed May 27, 2009 8:38 am

I really enjoyed The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

Heh, I found The Road to be perhaps the most exquisitely written books I've ever read, nevertheless, I'm not sure that I'd go so far as to say I "enjoyed" it. There's stretches that are just way, way too dark to think of as fun. But it's one of the best works of fiction I can remember.

I used to like John Fowles quite a bit, his stuff was always pretty compelling. I've found everything by George Pelecanos to be excellent, and more than one are mind-blowingly good.

Neal Stephenson's stuff is flat-out fun, and is the author most likely to keep me awake til 4 a.m. reading just one more chapter. Snow Crash was a great ride, Cryptonomicon is an amazing story, and The Baroque Cycle is 4000 pages of swashbuckling rock-em-sock-em enlightenment age war, espionage, science, piracy, and political intrigue. Lotta fun.
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby black udder » Wed May 27, 2009 10:19 am

Neal Stephenson was a big too much tech for me, I went for the easier on the brain Shadowrun series of books. Takes what Neal does and adds some magic :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby BLURR » Wed May 27, 2009 5:03 pm

If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Jesse B 707 » Wed May 27, 2009 7:58 pm

Bill Bryson is surely money but Matt Hughes????!!!!! is it all about reading the bible and working on the farm?
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby BLURR » Thu May 28, 2009 11:43 am

The Matt Hughes book was a present from my wife...since I like MMA. It was an ok read. It basically walks you through his school years, college and present mma stuff. It didn't really have a heavy bible overtone to it. I was really surprised there wasn't more of that in there.

As for Bill Bryson...love his books. Always a good read.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby swan » Thu May 28, 2009 2:41 pm

Leave it to a DMer to pimp Bryson. 8)
I've read every single one and they're all spectacular. Short History of Nearly Everything is mandatory reading for anyone who enjoys science and learning. I think I've read it four times.
Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting, my friend.
swan
Noob

Postby practically invincible » Thu May 28, 2009 8:14 pm

Forst of all Craig S Jacked my list mostly, I'd add Cats's Cradle fro Vonnegut. It's probably his best IMHO.

Also read Last Exit to Brooklyn, Herbert Selby Jr. It will really mess with your mind. But it is a piece of art.
The only disc I throw well consistently is my lucky Wizard.
practically invincible
Tree Magnet

Postby BLURR » Fri May 29, 2009 7:34 am

swan wrote:Short History of Nearly Everything is mandatory reading for anyone who enjoys science and learning. I think I've read it four times.

This was an awesome read. I have lost my copy, but am tempted to go buy another one.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby ChUcK » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:48 pm

Smolin, I like you better with every post you put out there...

I'd recommend staying away from Palahniuk's more recent books- they have lots of shock value but little-to-no plot, so at the end you feel like ol' Chuck made a sucker out of you.

I'd like to give a shout-out to all the Discworld novels. They are damn funny and almost all of them can stand on their own, but they can be read as a series as well. My favorite is Night Watch.

The four Bukowski semi-autobiographical novels are also a hoot to read if you like easy-to-read books filled with sex, booze, and violence. In order they are: Ham on Rye, Factotum, Post Office, Women.

Hubert Selby Jr's Requiem for a Dream and Bret Easton Ellis's American Psycho are a couple of good ones if you like books that make you throw up in your mouth...
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby maks » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:22 pm

so i halfway done with reading "i hope they serve beer in hell". and i love it. i feel like i have to top everything this dude has done, but if i actually did id probably die.

so ima keep truckin...
maks
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Super-Roc

Postby Working Stiff » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:26 pm

ChUcK wrote:Bret Easton Ellis's American Psycho are a couple of good ones if you like books that make you throw up in your mouth...
I've seen American Psycho noted in a few places recently. I guess it has developed a cult following. I'm kind-of confused by that. I was the right age for that book, it came out when I was in college. I actually liked Less Than Zero quite a bit. I thought American Psycho was boring, just an extended name drop of yuppie gotta-have brand names and Huey Lewis song titles set amongst brutal and senseless violence. Where Less Than Zero pointed out a callous and amoral attitude amongst a spoiled and privileged generation, American Psycho seemed to be nothing more than a cartoon depiction of a serial killer. While the content may be shocking, it has no depth. The shallow and narcissistic actions of the characters in Less Than Zero can be somewhat thought-provoking, at least it was for me when I was 17 or 18 and read it for the first time.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby domromer » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:03 pm

The Egg and
All My Friends are going to be strangers
The last picture show
Cannery Row
Sea of Cortez
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby djalizwan » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:10 pm

Atlas Shrugged

Animal Farm
djalizwan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.