Pistols

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Pistols

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:22 pm

Anyone (other than Glock23 :D ) into guns? I just got a sig saur p229 equonox in .40 caliber!
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Solty » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:27 pm

S&W 9mm VE......stainless rail...

assorted shottys and rifles...i live in deer/bear/turkey country
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby mothrows » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:29 pm

I'm into all sorts of guns. My favorite pastime (other than disc golf) is varmint hunting. I've got a heavy barreled .223 savage that has been wicked on the prairie dogs the last couple of years. I've got a Ruger Red Label .20 gauge that I've really been enjoying for the various bird seasons. One of my dream vacations is to go dove hunting in Argentina!
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby Eric O » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:26 am

mothrows wrote:I'm into all sorts of guns. My favorite pastime (other than disc golf) is varmint hunting. I've got a heavy barreled .223 savage that has been wicked on the prairie dogs the last couple of years. I've got a Ruger Red Label .20 gauge that I've really been enjoying for the various bird seasons. One of my dream vacations is to go dove hunting in Argentina!
I have a cousin in Dallas, TX. Went with him to visit his ranch... the activity of choice is exterminating the turtles from the lake with .22 magnum shells. All you can see is their nose poking out of the surface of the water for a few seconds. Fun.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Rooster » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:24 am

Thats me!!!!!
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Glock23 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:47 am

Anyone (other than Glock23 ) into guns?
:lol: That sig is a nice pistol, I really like the two tone finish.
My Newest Toy, not quite a pistol but I had to show it off:
M4 Carbine. She has over $2500 invested and still going!
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:03 pm

The Equinox is the two tone that you are thinking of.

I am a big fan of Savage Arms. They are moderately priced, yet outshoot most pricey models.

I like 22-250 caliber for prairie dogs though we don't have many of those here. I sometimes use my pump .22 LR Remington for those and rabbit.

Is that M4 (I think you called it) a .223 like the AR-15? I'm not too much into those kinds of rifles as I am more of a hunter than a paper killer, but I almost bought a Bushmaster AR-15 last week. My rifles right now consist of a savage 30-06, .22 pump remington, 12 gauge mossberg 800 series, Marlin 30-30, Marling .357 mag, and I think that's it. Rifles I wish I had was a .308 for hunting (for when I dont want a mag cartridge) and a 45-70 octagon barrel lever action (probably marlin as well) stainless for fun.

I'm to the point in my life/collection where I buy stiff simply cause I don't have it. I really want a .38 super, Sig preferable or maybe Glock.

I don't even own a 9mm; it's overrated due to the movies. For self defense, I would not carry anything smaller than a .40 cal.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Glock23 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:16 pm

Yeah it is a .223 AR-15. I wouldn't hunt large game with it, but it is a nice cqb rifle. It also is a nice varmint or human pest control gun. http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1763263 There are some other pictures of it with different configurations.

Besides my name sake, I have a kahr km9 (my wifes) and an original colt .38 special that was made in 1910. I am actually looking to sell that one if anybody is interested. My next purchase will be a fullsize 1911, or maybe a 10mm glock. I am also in touch with a guy who is trying to sell a custom made 300 mag rifle. We will see how much my wife will let me spend. :lol:
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:05 pm

Glock23 wrote:Yeah it is a .223 AR-15. I wouldn't hunt large game with it, but it is a nice cqb rifle. It also is a nice varmint or human pest control gun. http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1763263 There are some other pictures of it with different configurations.

Besides my name sake, I have a kahr km9 (my wifes) and an original colt .38 special that was made in 1910. I am actually looking to sell that one if anybody is interested. My next purchase will be a fullsize 1911, or maybe a 10mm glock. I am also in touch with a guy who is trying to sell a custom made 300 mag rifle. We will see how much my wife will let me spend. :lol:

If you don't have a 1911, get one! I even carry mine. I prefer Kimber. If you can't afford it, go with Colt (you will have to make adjustments for it to compare to an out of the box Kimber). I have a Kimber 1911 .45 AND (tee hee) 10mm.

I love 10mm's; I have a 10mm revolver (smith and wesson m frame) and semi. So yeah, after you get your 1911, get yourself a 10mm; I went with Kimber. Glock or Sig saur would have been my 2nd choice. I also like the exact glock of your name: the model 23.

AR-15 is a combat rifle; I wouldn't mind one, but I have trouble spending the money for something I'm going to use to shoot at paper targets with. Still, money allowing, I will have one some day. I actually was getting a great deal on that Bushmaster.

Actually, my next purchase may very well be a compact 1911 since I'm carrying mine so much. Kimber makes 2 smaller models: the ultra (which is the commander size in other guns) and then an even smaller one called the pro. The problem with Kimber? The price! So I may actually pick up a Colt or even a Springfield. Sig Sauer now makes a 1911 though I have no experience with them.

Hopefully, I didn't get the names backwards, but you get the idea regardless.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Glock23 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:25 pm

I have the $ for kimber, but really haven't been impressed. The new sig has received great reviews, and the price is fair. Whatever I buy I will carry, I will probably go window shopping this weekend. I am even thinking about a para or something. That is shopping I don't mind.
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:56 am

Glock23 wrote:I have the $ for kimber, but really haven't been impressed. The new sig has received great reviews, and the price is fair. Whatever I buy I will carry, I will probably go window shopping this weekend. I am even thinking about a para or something. That is shopping I don't mind.

Your M-4 is it chambered in .223? I just found out that some are available in .40 and .45 which makes me want one even more.

I wouldn't mind a .40 Bushmaster AR-15. Any advice you have is appreciated.
Like when would you choose a .223 over a .40 (other than hunting).

I also have some questions about the difference in penetration.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby krusen » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:53 pm

I'm not really into guns as much as hunting which is probably evident by my small, but adequate collection.

Ruger 10/22 - First gun...fun for plinking tho I hardly ever shoot it any more. Used to get rabbits pretty regularly w/ it.

Benelli Nova 12 ga. pump- Geese, ducks, pheasants, clay pigeons, and possibly deer this year.

Remington 700 7mm Mag. - Stainless & synthetic bolt action. Bought for elk hunting. Kinda big for whitetail, but should be OK with some 135gr. rounds. I can hit a soda can at 300 yards with this baby.

I've been itching to get something new lately. Kinda torn between a .223 for varmints or a .357 for sidearm as protection from bear when elk hunting or bow hunting bear. Also thinking maybe Browning Mark V .22 pistol for dog training and blasting gophers along the side of the road :twisted:
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:12 pm

krusen wrote:I'm not really into guns as much as hunting which is probably evident by my small, but adequate collection.

Ruger 10/22 - First gun...fun for plinking tho I hardly ever shoot it any more. Used to get rabbits pretty regularly w/ it.

Benelli Nova 12 ga. pump- Geese, ducks, pheasants, clay pigeons, and possibly deer this year.

Remington 700 7mm Mag. - Stainless & synthetic bolt action. Bought for elk hunting. Kinda big for whitetail, but should be OK with some 135gr. rounds. I can hit a soda can at 300 yards with this baby.

I've been itching to get something new lately. Kinda torn between a .223 for varmints or a .357 for sidearm as protection from bear when elk hunting or bow hunting bear. Also thinking maybe Browning Mark V .22 pistol for dog training and blasting gophers along the side of the road :twisted:

For varmits, may I recommend a 22-250? By the way, that is an excellent condition. I have always felt Benelli is overpriced, yet I would not pass up the chance to own one. 7mm is practically a sniper rifle (or is it what they actually use?).

If you don't own a handgun, definately get yourself a revolver and .357 is a solid all around round; however, if I knew I was meeting up with a bear, I'd get something along the lines of a .44 mag. I would prefer a 450 win mag, but that's a rifle, not a pistol.

The bear bow hunters I know carry an assault 12 gauge shot gun with double ought buck (reduced recoil) for back up; they say peppering a bear with 7 huge projectiles causes the bear to flee.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby mothrows » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:50 pm

I've got a heavy barrel .223 Savage that I've been using the last couple of years and it works great out to about 325 yards. Any farther then that and I let my buddy shoot at them with his 22-250. The 250 has a little more reach, but the ammo for my .223 is much cheaper. Check out this website.

Warning: graphic prairie dog headshots!

http://www.dogbegone.com/
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby krusen » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:22 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:For varmits, may I recommend a 22-250? By the way, that is an excellent condition. I have always felt Benelli is overpriced, yet I would not pass up the chance to own one. 7mm is practically a sniper rifle (or is it what they actually use?).

A 22-250 is in the running. I understand they shoot very flat. I'm also considering a .243 so I can use it on deer.

My Benelli is their poor guy offering...similar to a Rem. 870 express. I think it cost about $350. Their semi-auto's however are around $800, but are the best on the market. Perhaps after I get a varmint rifle and a couple pistols, a Super Black Eagle may be in order.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.