What do you do for work / Do you like your job?

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: What do you do for work / Do you like your job?

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:22 am

JohnnyB wrote:I work in a tortilla factory. It's funner than you would think. And thanks to disc golf I'm proud to say I can throw a tortilla farther than anyone in the joint.
I'm still new there, but from what I understand they have a big summer party and one of the events they do every year is a tortilla throwing distance competition. I've talked with the big guy explained what disc golf is and even showed him a few videos on youtube. I get to bring my basket to the party and we're going to have tortilla putting (ring of fire, 21 etc...) as one of the activities.

we have a winner!
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby Midnightbiker » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:14 pm

I drive a truck overnight on a dedicated run, delivering auto parts to stores. I have 10 stops and I drive a little over 300 miles a night , 5 days a week. I do enjoy it most of the time. I have seen all kinds of wild stuff out on the road, and I have hit several animals, including 2 wild hogs, 3 deer, several dogs, raccoons, bats, and a small cow. The cow was the most traumatic because it knocked me off the road . I almost quit after that.

I have also seen some crazy people out on the road, but the best was about 7 years ago, I had a woman driving right next to me that was topless and she was , rubbing her boobs while driving down the highway. I just drove next to her , looking out the window, and thinking "I can't believe I am getting paid for this". :shock:
Listen to The Love Doctors on Real Radio 10am-3pm Eastern
Click here
http://www.wzzr.com/pages/the_lovedocs.html
Midnightbiker
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby SkaBob » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:50 am

As a programmer, it's always a joy to have to do level 1 support tickets...

It's even more fun when the user's manager gets involved, gets pissy, and raises a fuss...because the username he provided wasn't spelled right.

Do I like my job?

Less every day.
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby JHern » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:21 am

I am a geophysicist and planetary physicist. I spend most of my work time thinking about the Earth's interior and processes happening very deep beneath our feet (all the way to the center), and try to connect processes with concrete observations we can make at the surface such as inferences into deep Earth chemical composition (from volcanoes), the composition of meteorites (the left-overs of solar system forming materials), surface geology and the historical record, plate motions and plate tectonics, the structure of the Earth "seen" by seismic waves traveling through it and recorded around the globe at seismic stations (like a CAT-scan), small variations in Earth's gravity, changes in electrical conductivity, dynamical phenomena such as small variations in Earth's magnetic field that originates in the core, etc., etc.. I construct mathematical and numerical models of these processes to better understand how they work, how they trade off with observations, and how they might affect other processes that we haven't thought about yet.

My most satisfying moments are finding big breakthroughs in the way of thinking about processes and observations that can reveal all sorts of interesting new information about the deep Earth or planets, and bring together a variety of confusing information into a much simpler coherent framework.

I very much like my job. Right now I don't have any teaching duties beyond those I volunteer to do, I travel around the world constantly, and I have wonderful colleagues. This is a great gig, except for the fact that I haven't settled down yet and I don't have job security beyond the 1-2 year time cycle of funding (I have to submit research proposals to fund my position, which is typically very tough to do).
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Jeronimo » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:27 am

I'm a Gigolo.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby SkaBob » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:43 am

And everywhere he goes, people know the part he's playin'...
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Shaolintrained » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:02 pm

uNicedmeMan wrote:
Shaolintrained wrote:I graduated 2 years ago and, by choice, haven't had a "real" job yet. I teach martial arts a couple days a week and go to doctor appointments with people who need "medical translation". Because of this, I have PLENTY of time to throw plastic & I'm livin' it up.

Sounds great. What language do you speak?

Spanish & medical jargon.
Trade list: http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12798
"Music is my religion" -Jimi Hendrix
Shaolintrained
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beat DX Roc

Postby colombo117 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:01 pm

JohnnyB wrote:I work in a tortilla factory. It's funner than you would think. And thanks to disc golf I'm proud to say I can throw a tortilla farther than anyone in the joint.
I'm still new there, but from what I understand they have a big summer party and one of the events they do every year is a tortilla throwing distance competition. I've talked with the big guy explained what disc golf is and even showed him a few videos on youtube. I get to bring my basket to the party and we're going to have tortilla putting (ring of fire, 21 etc...) as one of the activities.

You could add a little bean dip and increase their weight, they may go farther. :D

As far as work goes I am still in school, I am going into elementary Ed. I currently work at a independent school and help out in there pre-school classes part-time. Its awesome, working with kids is the best thing I have ever done.
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby uNicedmeMan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:56 pm

bumpity bump bump.

I'm stuck in a rut and looking for some more ideas...
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby Jeronimo » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:41 pm

Open up a disc golf course/christmas tree farm.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby marmoset » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:03 pm

R&D for a transportation research institute.
:D I design and build stuff. Wood, steel, aluminum, cloth, fiberglass, carbon fiber, whatever. Weld, braze, sew, nail, screw, bolt, glue, tape, whatever.
I finish stuff. Paint, powdercoat, anodize, upholstery, vinyl decals, screen printing, polishing, ummm... and stuff. :)
I machine stuff. Lathe, mill, etc. I am starting to learn the CNC mill. :| :D
I design peices to be injection molded. I use 3D modeling programs like Autodesk Inventor and SolidWorks. This is fun stuff. I usually have to design enclosures for circuit boards, cameras, sensors, etc. I am secretly using this aspect of my job to learn more about molding processes for disc golf :twisted: :D
I draw pretty pictures for random stuff. I make posters, presentation graphics, stickers, labels and decals. It sounds lame now that I type it out but I like making stickers. :oops:

Overall I like it a lot.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby homebrew » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:53 pm

I am a 3d modeler, programmer and graphic designer for an architectural consulting firm. I get to do cool renderings, animations, web sites, and general marketing materials for mostly high-end national builders. Work's been slow the last couple of years, but it's starting to turn around.
homebrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:25 pm

I work as a server in a mexican restaurant, so i can relate to how awesome tortilla throwing can be.
Do I like my job? I have a degree in ceramics, and would love to do something with that, but Its hard to argue with a 30 hour a week job that pays the mortgage, and all my bills, and leaves plenty of time for art and disc and family. . .
I have been looking into more hands on jobs, working concrete, installing counters ect, but its hard to imagine a 40-50 hour a week job at 10$ will ever make me happy when a job working 30 hours a week, and averaging 18-25$ an hour doesn't either.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:27 pm

marmoset wrote:R&D for a transportation research institute.
:D I design and build stuff. Wood, steel, aluminum, cloth, fiberglass, carbon fiber, whatever. Weld, braze, sew, nail, screw, bolt, glue, tape, whatever.
I finish stuff. Paint, powdercoat, anodize, upholstery, vinyl decals, screen printing, polishing, ummm... and stuff. :)
I machine stuff. Lathe, mill, etc. I am starting to learn the CNC mill. :| :D
I design peices to be injection molded. I use 3D modeling programs like Autodesk Inventor and SolidWorks. This is fun stuff. I usually have to design enclosures for circuit boards, cameras, sensors, etc. I am secretly using this aspect of my job to learn more about molding processes for disc golf :twisted: :D
I draw pretty pictures for random stuff. I make posters, presentation graphics, stickers, labels and decals. It sounds lame now that I type it out but I like making stickers. :oops:

Overall I like it a lot.

This sounds fun.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby josser » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:43 am

Physics instructor at a 4-year college. Luvz it so very much.
Rattler - Pure - Jokeri || Fuse - Roc || Gazelle - xXx || PD - Pred || Wraith

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.