H1N1 Vaccine

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: H1N1 Vaccine

Postby Smoke » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:49 am

SkaBob wrote:
Jesse B 707 wrote:best in the world medical system

Actually, I think we're something like 31st in the world. At least, thirty somethingth...I was hearing something about that on NPR today...

I'm neither a bear, nor a cheetah..I'm a WOLVERINE!

"Must get past the first tree....um the second one too." - Bill
"Start the lawnmower..smack the midget." - D, when talking about how to throw
"No Low Putts!" - Hell if I know
Smoke
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby dgdave » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:38 am

You really need to check this out. It really opened my eyes

Swine Flu Vaccine
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Roy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:51 pm

Smoke wrote:
SkaBob wrote:
Jesse B 707 wrote:best in the world medical system

Actually, I think we're something like 31st in the world. At least, thirty somethingth...I was hearing something about that on NPR today...

According to the WHO stats from 10 years ago...

I have hard time believing Saudi Arabia's health care is superior to that in the US. Costa Rica? Oman? Columbia? Come on... How the hell do you rank health care anyway?

About H1N1, How many people has it killed? how about regular flu? We should be more afrid of the good ol fluh then the H1N1.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Jesse B 707 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:48 pm

unless you are under 10 or over 60 just get the swine flu and dodge the vaccine. I had swine flu all last week and it really isn't all its cracked up to be.....dont fear the swine flu
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Roy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:32 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:unless you are under 10 or over 60 just get the swine flu and dodge the vaccine. I had swine flu all last week and it really isn't all its cracked up to be.....dont fear the swine flu

I'm under ten.

I thought you hadnt been to a doctor in 8 years ? How do you know you had swine flu?
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby JimW » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:02 am

Roy wrote:
Jesse B 707 wrote:unless you are under 10 or over 60 just get the swine flu and dodge the vaccine. I had swine flu all last week and it really isn't all its cracked up to be.....dont fear the swine flu

I'm under ten.

I thought you hadnt been to a doctor in 8 years ? How do you know you had swine flu?

The oinking was probably a telling clue.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby garublador » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:10 am

Roy wrote:About H1N1, How many people has it killed? how about regular flu? We should be more afrid of the good ol fluh then the H1N1.
I think most people, media included, have missed the point when it comes to H1N1. It's not that it's any worse than the usual flu, it's that they didn't predict it and weren't prepared with a vaccine as early as they usually are with flu outbreaks. If there's the chance of a flu going around (the flu can kill) and there's no way of pretecting high risk patients (really young, really old or people with weak immune systems), then more people will die than necessary.

For us regular folk (who wear the occasional tennis shoe or python boot) the issue is much more lost productivity than normal. The point of flu shots is to minimize the number of pepole who get what is predicted to be the most prominent flu strain for the season (H1N1 was not predicted). It's not to protect any given individual. I'm totally making up these numbers, but lets say there are 100 million "productive" people in the US. Lets say that without a vaccine, 10% will get the flu and be out of work for an average of 2 days. That's 20million man-days of work lost. If the "average" person gets paid $100 a day that's $2billion dollars of lost productivity. Each percent that a flu shot prevents from getting the disease is $10million of productivity. This isn't even including the people who actually go to the doctor, which has an effect on health insurance premiums.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Dig It » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:37 am

garublador wrote:If there's the chance of a flu going around (the flu can kill) and there's no way of pretecting high risk patients (really young, really old or people with weak immune systems), then more people will die than necessary.

I kept hearing this flu was worse for those with better immune systems. Meaning the young and elderly were not the target of this strain. Is that not the case?
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby garublador » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:49 am

Dig It wrote:
garublador wrote:If there's the chance of a flu going around (the flu can kill) and there's no way of pretecting high risk patients (really young, really old or people with weak immune systems), then more people will die than necessary.

I kept hearing this flu was worse for those with better immune systems. Meaning the young and elderly were not the target of this strain. Is that not the case?
I suppose it's possible and I'm not an expert, but I haven't heard that. Either way I was talking more in general, not specifically H1N1 in the quoted portion.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Timko » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:58 am

Dig It wrote:

The reason this was said was because the 1918 pandemic targeted young, healthy adults.

The unusually severe disease killed between 2 and 20% of those infected, as opposed to the more usual flu epidemic mortality rate of 0.1%.Another unusual feature of this pandemic was that it mostly killed young adults, with 99% of pandemic influenza deaths occurring in people under 65, and more than half in young adults 20 to 40 years old. This is unusual since influenza is normally most deadly to the very young (under age 2) and the very old (over age 70), and may have been due to partial protection caused by exposure to a previous Russian flu pandemic of 1889.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Jesse B 707 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:30 pm

Roy wrote:

I'm under ten.

mainly symptoms (BAD cough, high fever, sore throat) and the fact that it is going around these parts, a local high school kid recently died from it and a co workers daughter just came down with it today.
were you trying to bust me for lying about my cool swine flu :?: you must be under 10
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Postby Roy » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:35 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:
Roy wrote:

I'm under ten.

mainly symptoms (BAD cough, high fever, sore throat) and the fact that it is going around these parts, a local high school kid recently died from it and a co workers daughter just came down with it today.
were you trying to bust me for lying about my cool swine flu :?: you must be under 10

No Sir, just busting your balls.

Wisconsin did have the highest number of cases, I dont know if that's still the case. But the whole reason it was number one was because it tested more people. I've even read that wisconsin is the birthplace of swine flu, but I have my doubts.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Jesse B 707 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:44 pm

Roy wrote:
Jesse B 707 wrote:
Roy wrote:

I'm under ten.

No Sir, just busting your balls.

Wisconsin did have the highest number of cases, I dont know if that's still the case. But the whole reason it was number one was because it tested more people. I've even read that wisconsin is the birthplace of swine flu, but I have my doubts.

its possible it was something else but judging by the symptoms it was most likely the deadly H1N1 :!: :wink: it was the sickest ive been in a few years for sure but ive definitely had worse
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Postby JR » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:38 am

Furthur wrote:
Dig It wrote:

The reason this was said was because the 1918 pandemic targeted young, healthy adults.

The unusually severe disease killed between 2 and 20% of those infected, as opposed to the more usual flu epidemic mortality rate of 0.1%.Another unusual feature of this pandemic was that it mostly killed young adults, with 99% of pandemic influenza deaths occurring in people under 65, and more than half in young adults 20 to 40 years old. This is unusual since influenza is normally most deadly to the very young (under age 2) and the very old (over age 70), and may have been due to partial protection caused by exposure to a previous Russian flu pandemic of 1889.

Actually the Spanish flu in 1918 was found and for a long time the occurrence censored in an US army base in 1917 and it's likely that soldiers spread it around. According to a documentary. But IIRC there were earlier occurrences all around the world starting in Asia (once again). The young people that were in the army weren't always in that great a shape. The war had taken a toll in many cases. Trenches at first then late in 1918 mobile war undersupplied often armies suffering grievous losses due to artillery once out of the trenches. Meaning having to move a lot to avoid murderous losses. Trenches were a cess pit of disease. Often times only weeks in the trenches had caused new troops to contract diseases so bad that they ad to be pulled from the line after becoming non combat worthy. After sustaining several dozens of percent of crippling diseases among the men. Lots more than enemy action did.

Churchill said something like winning this way in 1918 means losing in 1919 due to crippling losses. The scale of that statement is illustrated by the Brits losing 80000 men in a day on the Somme in 1916. And still mobile war was deemed too costly had the Germans etc. not been suffering dearly as well. But even with the German retreats, losing fortified positions and lots of men and materiel the cost in men was deemed borderline tolerable. And not sustainable in the long run even on WW1 terms and the collapse of the enemy in sight and clear evidence of blockade working. Causing famine in the enemy civil population and military.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Yehosha » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:28 pm

If the meadia didn't have somethig to scare people into watching the nightly news and read their papers to get the latest info on, they'd soon be out of business. When this blows over they'll make something else up to scare people with, it's what they do.
Katana, Doss Surge, Z Surge SS, Avenger SS, Stalker, Buzzz, Ion
Yehosha
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ion

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.