Snakes

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What do you do when you see a snake?

Try to catch it or stimulate it to aggression.
14%
Grab nearest object and erase it from the earth.
5%
Give it a wide berth.
14%
Take a moment to carefully observe it and move on.
67%

Total votes : 57

Re: Snakes

Postby riverboy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:33 pm

As a life long herper I love snakes. It really is amazing how many people will kill them for no reason. You can spend your whole life preaching they are not as bad as people make them out to be but it will never be enough unfortunately. At least I have convinced some people snakes are fine by taking them to elementary classes.(damn too much paperwork.) People need to learn even if you do not like them just respect them. If you leave them alone they will leave you alone. I am sure I have echoed posts already said but I don't feel like reading them all now.
ChUcK wrote:Gateway doesn't use foil hotstamps. Dave Mac employs a neanderthal with a chisel and a loveless childhood.
riverboy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: CE eagle X

Postby JHern » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:03 am

I used to regularly hike through canyons in Arizona that were absolutely loaded with rattlesnakes in every nook and cranny. The only time a rattlesnake ever acted aggressively toward me was when I was boulder hopping down a dry stream and one was underneath a rock I landed on, and it scurried out, coiled up, and began rattling fiercely (I was 50 ft back upstream in seconds before I got my wits back). But I understood this reaction, I probably almost killed the snake with my reckless procession down the river bed. After that, I decided not to jog or run when in natural areas (this can lead to other problems, such as puma attacks).

Some say that rattlesnakes do not rattle as readily as they used to, since the ready-rattlers were consequently very easy to find and were killed off, leaving their more shy brothers behind to propagate the species.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby rusch_bag » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:54 am

Snakes scare the shit out of me. I will not go near them if I see them and if I see one close to me I run away. You guys are nuts.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Mr.SmOOOth » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:01 pm

I walked right up on a rattler in the desert in Arizona one evening. My grandmother has 300 acres and all the family goes there for Thanksgiving. One night I was walking my dog and thought I heard a sprinkler come on. That's just how it sounded, like a sprinkler. My dog turned around and stopped about 5 feet away from a coiled rattler. I called her and then hustled back to my grandmothers to warn everyone.
My uncle told me to go back there and chop it up with a shovel so it wouldn't bite any of the kids. I had to walk about a half mile or so to get back to the area and just as I got there the flashlight died! I turned around to walk back and heard sooooo much rustling and weird noises in the pitch black desert! I swore that I would never kill a snake if I made it back to the house safely. Everyone had a good laugh at my expense though!
"Are you talking to me on a cellular phone? I don't know you. Who is this? Don't come here! Prank caller! Prank caller!"
Mr.SmOOOth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Z BUZZZ

Postby discspeed » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:36 pm

ferretdance03 wrote:So I'm noticing a general lack of discspeed posts right now, all this talk of snake killing with no rebuttalls just brought it to my attention. Any FL locals know what's up? Jim?

I'm still alive. I just had a friend from MI down here visiting for a week and have been busy contracting home improvements. In the last week we got our hot water heater replaced, HVAC replaced, I had to fix our bathroom toilet, and the sprinkler system people came today. My car also broke down Friday ( I had to walk 1.5 miles to get to work) and I had to have my starter replaced. I'm about to start an extra tutoring job and am taking two classes on top of my two jobs...At 2:00 tomorrow I may get a relaxing round of DG in. That will be nice.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Danforth » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:21 pm

When I see a snaaeke, I've got to be really carefull, because what I do, is grab it, stick my thumb up its butt-hole and really piss it off!!!

KRIKEY!!!
VoodooWizardBuzzLeoT-BirdFirebirdProSF

"Hitler and Mussolini were only the primary spokesmen for the attitude of domination and craving for power that are in the heart of almost everyone. Until the source is cleared, there will always be confusion and hate, wars and class antagonisms." - Jiddu Krishnamurti
Danforth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TeeChicken

Postby maks » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:33 am

Thread is back from the dead!!!!!!!!!!!

so ive been thinking about picking up a couple GTPs and was wondering if anyone else had any experience with this species.

GTP= Green Tree Python

i have many years dealing with reptiles but have never really had more than a few minutes with GTPs. I know with the info out now a days GTPs are not as hard to take care of as they used to be and i haven't checked too much into their diff. locales. i think biak is what im going for.

i know a few of you guys keep reptiles so just looking for some friendly advice on these.

thx
maks
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Super-Roc

Postby discspeed » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:10 am

I've heard that they are prone to nastiness, but like with any snake, I imagine its up to individual personality.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:25 am

From the people I know who have GTPs they say that if you want them to stay nice to you, you gotta handle them a lot and let them get really familiar with you. Which is usually not a problem with anyone who is serious about owning reptiles.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby riverboy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:32 pm

They are prone to nastiness, but they are very pretty snakes. Best as an observed herp. I have read that they can also be problematic feeders, and often don't take frozen prey.
ChUcK wrote:Gateway doesn't use foil hotstamps. Dave Mac employs a neanderthal with a chisel and a loveless childhood.
riverboy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: CE eagle X

Postby Roy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:46 pm

riverboy wrote:They are prone to nastiness, but they are very pretty snakes. Best as an observed herp. I have read that they can also be problematic feeders, and often don't take frozen prey.

Yeah, handling GTP's is usually a no-no. Only the minimal handling to avoid problems.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Previous

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.