Snakes

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What do you do when you see a snake?

Try to catch it or stimulate it to aggression.
14%
Grab nearest object and erase it from the earth.
5%
Give it a wide berth.
14%
Take a moment to carefully observe it and move on.
67%

Total votes : 57

Re: Snakes

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:19 pm

Roy wrote:
discspeed wrote:I have to admit...I like seeing my corn snake kill a mouse. My cat watches too. :) I understand though, rats can be mean and nasty when being eaten and they've got big and sharp teeth.

Rats can mangle a snake. Rabbits too when they kick those powerful back legs.

When I had picky eaters I used to feed fresh killed which equals putting the rat in a pillow case and whacking it on the ground. It twitches and all that good stuff. :wink:

I could never bring myself to do that, if I had to kill a rat or mouse I would put it in the freezer.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Solty » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:21 pm

one of my roommates in college had a ball python that ate live mice. The lil SOB's would Scream!!! It was a house favorite to witness the beautiful disaster. I miss Morpheus :)
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Roy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:24 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:
Roy wrote:
discspeed wrote:I have to admit...I like seeing my corn snake kill a mouse. My cat watches too. :) I understand though, rats can be mean and nasty when being eaten and they've got big and sharp teeth.

When I had picky eaters I used to feed fresh killed which equals putting the rat in a pillow case and whacking it on the ground. It twitches and all that good stuff. :wink:

I could never bring myself to do that, if I had to kill a rat or mouse I would put it in the freezer.

That's worse suposedly. The people that sell in bulk usually gas them and advertise how humane they are.

You can tell when the rodents are not killed quickly as they usually have turds all over (:ie freezer)
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:31 pm

Roy wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:
Roy wrote:

That's worse suposedly. The people that sell in bulk usually gas them and advertise how humane they are.

You can tell when the rodents are not killed quickly as they usually have turds all over (:ie freezer)

Yeah but breaking their necks seems so violent.
Frank Delicious

Postby discspeed » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:45 pm

My snake usually suffocates a mouse dead in about 30 seconds after the grab. Its unbelievable how quick it is.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby chiggins » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:32 am

Roy wrote:

I volunteered to take care of a friend's snake for a month, I think it was a ball python but it's been years and years so I can't remember for sure. Got instructions on purchasing pinkies and putting the snake in the feeding box and doing the pillowcase thing. I figured, what the hell, I can handle it.

So feeding day comes, and I come home from the pet store with a pinky and put him in the pillowcase. Now I'm starting to think about what's going on, and getting a little squeamish about killing this mouse baby. But, snake's gotta eat, and I'm committed to taking care of it, so here goes. I whap the pillowcase into the wall, but not hard enough, and the mouse starts kicking like hell. It occurs to me that I'm not doing the pinky any favors by beating it "gently", so I give it a real good WHACK and the kicking stops. And I feel like shit.

So, I go to put the stunned mouse in the feeding box with the snake, got my hand too far in, and WHAM! Didn't actually hurt all that much, just kinda shocked me, and little pinpricks of blood came up around my thumb. Add to that the feeling that I just took a mouse, a mammal, one of our team, and sold it down the river to feed a serpent and I realized I wasn't ever gonna be very good at this.

Gorgeous snake though, super fun to hold and hang out with.
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby discspeed » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:51 am

I'll post some pictures later of my snake making the kill...BTW, I've never heard of pre-killing pinky mice. I thought they were helpless already and that's why they are used. I think exotic reptiles are cool, but I'm done keeping them. It kind of goes hand in hand with my stance on taking reptiles to the vet...I know quite a bit, and what I don't I can find out on the internet, so I can't see spending $$ to take my snake to a doctor. If I couldn't remedy a health issue I would release my snake in good habitat and let nature take its course.
discspeed

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:23 am

discspeed wrote:I'll post some pictures later of my snake making the kill...BTW, I've never heard of pre-killing pinky mice. I thought they were helpless already and that's why they are used. I think exotic reptiles are cool, but I'm done keeping them. It kind of goes hand in hand with my stance on taking reptiles to the vet...I know quite a bit, and what I don't I can find out on the internet, so I can't see spending $$ to take my snake to a doctor. If I couldn't remedy a health issue I would release my snake in good habitat and let nature take its course.

my wife was a tech for an exotic vet so back when I had snakes, I got all my vet appointments for free. It was mucho nice considering how much he normally charged.
Frank Delicious

Postby chiggins » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:37 am

discspeed wrote:BTW, I've never heard of pre-killing pinky mice.

I was unclear. My instructions were to whack it on the wall to stun it, the reasons given were that the mouse needed to be warm for the snake to get into it, but if it were kickin' that it could scratch it up pretty good.
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby discspeed » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:19 am

chiggins wrote:
discspeed wrote:BTW, I've never heard of pre-killing pinky mice.

I was unclear. My instructions were to whack it on the wall to stun it, the reasons given were that the mouse needed to be warm for the snake to get into it, but if it were kickin' that it could scratch it up pretty good.

They were probably pinky rats. A mouse can only hurt a snake with its teeth.
discspeed

Postby Dig It » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:28 am

I am all about nature and the food chain but it seems pretty bullshit you have to beat the rodent into submission so the poor little snake doesn't get a scratch mark. If you want an animal that feeds on other animals as a pet you would think you wouldn't want a pussy that needs it's food pre-worked over. If you put a rat in the cage with a snake and the snake gets fucked up... seems like you should have that rat as a pet from then on out.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby SkaBob » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:45 am

I don't mind snakes, as long they're not on my muthafukin' plane!

oh c'mon, somebody had to say it! :lol:

A couple buddies of mine kept a few really nice snakes. One had 5 or 6 of various types (corn snake, red tail, rainbow, albino carpet python, some others) and raised mice for feeding them with...holy crap it was weird seeing how quickly he ended up with a couple hundred mice! He really liked his snakes, but he took a bit too much pleasure in finding new ways to kill the mice once he got bored with the pillowcase method...

The rainbow he had ended up with the other friend, that loves exotic pets (piranhas, those nasty black and red geckos, scorpions, an alligator)... unfortunately it got out and went exploring in the basement, in the middle of winter...it froze to death :(

On a more disc golf related note - Hudson Mills metropark, home of two FANTASTIC courses, is also home to several dens of Mississauga Rattlesnakes... I still have a photo of the course sign the first time I saw their little "beware of rattlesnakes" sign on it... weird to think that there're rattlesnakes around here. When you're in school they talk about the Mississauga Rattlers like they're only up north, but there they are in UofM's big college town area...
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby discspeed » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:59 am

Dig It wrote:I am all about nature and the food chain but it seems pretty bullshit you have to beat the rodent into submission so the poor little snake doesn't get a scratch mark. If you want an animal that feeds on other animals as a pet you would think you wouldn't want a pussy that needs it's food pre-worked over. If you put a rat in the cage with a snake and the snake gets fucked up... seems like you should have that rat as a pet from then on out.

There are a lot of ethical issues that deserve full consideration before you take on any unusual pet. For me personally, I pretty much agree with you. I would not be quick to pass judgment on someone else who owns any pet as long as they are not cruel. Many times these boas/pythons get so big that they do not have room to "hunt" their prey. These snakes would lie motionless in ambush for days in the wild. When a prey item finally happened by, the snake would have total advantage. They are not built for a struggle, they are built to dominate with the advantage of surprise and then power. In captivity the prey item (if not killed or stunned) has advantages that it would never get in the wild. It is in an enclosure, trapped, with a giant predator. Its kind of lack a gladiator scene. The snake has no element of surprise and cannot slant things in its favor, so it would get the full brunt of the prey's defensive behaviors. Couple this with the fact that reptile vets charge the same as snakes as you pay for your dog and cat and this could get really expensive.

I avoided all these issues with my choice of a native rat snake (corn snake). I put it in a large enclosure and the mouse seems pretty aloof. My snake knows what the feeding box is all about and as soon as I drop the mouse in he is on it. He is a skinny and agile snake for his length, so he can move freely and get in a safe position.

In the larger picture, while I am fascinated by exotic snakes, I really believe that their sale on the pet trade should be illegal for a myriad of reasons. First of all, in the past most of these animals were wild caught. Snakes are important parts of any ecosystem they live in. Most of the large ones do not have a fast reproductive cycle, so hunting several out of an area would make it very difficult for the population to recover. I'm sure they have been wiped out in many localities around the world. Then there is the issue of transport. For a snake from halfway around the world to get in a US pet store they have huge mortality rates and if they survived and made it to a store they would be emaciated and stressed to the point of having a significant impact on their life expectancy.

Most exotic reptiles are captive bred now. I think inbreeding is most definitely a problem and results in picky eating and other problems. Then their is the issue that ANYONE can buy one of these snakes. This leads to SO many problems. You can't own a lion, tiger, or bear without very specific liscenses and a good reason to have it. Not so with giant snakes, and they are top predators as well. So many are tortured by 12 yrs olds whose parents buy it for their kids as if it were an inanimate toy. They starve, live in their own waste, or far outgrow the tiny cage. Kids lose interest and never exercise the snakes, making any enclosure too small. People feed them in their tanks, making them aggressive towards anything entering the tank, including hands. I could go on and on.

The final major reasons I think exotic snakes should be illegal to keep without a licence is their impact on native ecosystems. I live in Florida, and when a python or boa is released or escapes they can live quite easily in the wild. The everglades are full of burmese pythons and other species. Being top predators they can fuck up an ecosystem much faster than more innocuous exotic lizards, etc. They can even swim across the ocean and are doing this to get to the keys, which are home to many species found nowhere else. The snakes can eat everything they want because the animals are not used to giant predators. This is a ridiculous price for us all to pay because some spoiled twelve year old demands one as pet and then releases it when the responsibility becomes evident.

Rant off...
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:03 am

SkaBob wrote:
On a more disc golf related note - Hudson Mills metropark, home of two FANTASTIC courses, is also home to several dens of Mississauga Rattlesnakes... I still have a photo of the course sign the first time I saw their little "beware of rattlesnakes" sign on it... weird to think that there're rattlesnakes around here. When you're in school they talk about the Mississauga Rattlers like they're only up north, but there they are in UofM's big college town area...

I don't think they've ever had any problems b/w them and people there either. I ran x-country at that park in high school (as I gazed completely puzzled at those weird metal cage-things in the woods, aka DG baskets) and I stole one of those signs and hung it in my bedroom. Here in FL such signs are almost invariably peppered with bullet holes. Kind of clues you into the general attitude of ignorance down here.
discspeed

Postby SkaBob » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:13 am

There have been a few bites over the years, I'm sure, but the park has antivenom on-site in abundance. They only really factor in at a couple places on the disc golf courses - Monster course, hole 3 and the path to hole 4, where it skirts that little swamp, and Original course, hole... 2(?) where you shoot a turnover around another swampy spot
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.