Snakes

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What do you do when you see a snake?

Try to catch it or stimulate it to aggression.
14%
Grab nearest object and erase it from the earth.
5%
Give it a wide berth.
14%
Take a moment to carefully observe it and move on.
67%

Total votes : 57

Re: Snakes

Postby Timko » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:26 am

SkaBob wrote:I don't mind snakes, as long they're not on my muthafukin' plane!

Speaking of which, I found some old photocrimez by friends. They're from a dj board I used to moderate (which you can tell by the 3rd picture):

jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Luke » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:27 am

Will you add a poll option? "Pee on it"?
Luke
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Luke » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:35 am

Also, I kill the fuck out of rattle snakes. If another one of my horses gets bit, I'll be severely angry. Pretty horse, til it gets bit in the face.

Just get a rope and slam that slithering bastard.

I don't pee on snakes, usually just watch them lay around, sometimes I catch and play with them. However, rattler on my ranch, I'll kill it, rope, gun, rock, tire, knife, boot heel. I just need those dead.
Luke
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby discspeed » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:08 pm

Luke wrote:Also, I kill the fuck out of rattle snakes. If another one of my horses gets bit, I'll be severely angry. Pretty horse, til it gets bit in the face.

Just get a rope and slam that slithering bastard.

I don't pee on snakes, usually just watch them lay around, sometimes I catch and play with them. However, rattler on my ranch, I'll kill it, rope, gun, rock, tire, knife, boot heel. I just need those dead.

That's too bad. Rattlesnakes do a lot more good than harm. I understand your distaste, but if everyone had that attitude they would eventually be extinct. Here in FL, society was once all ranches and rattlesnakes were very common. Humans came into frequent contact, and bites were often deadly. All that has changed now. Rattlesnakes are fairly rare, even in the country. People rarely come into contact with them, and the only people that die are those who delay medical attention for one reason or another. The hatred, fear, and ignorance towards snakes still remains though. They are one of the most beautiful and fascinating animals in my opinion. Scientists are just beginning to understand the mechanisms by which their venom works, and there are implications for the use of components of venom to treat all sorts of medical conditions.

There is probably an abundance of rattlers in your part of the country, so you killing the ones you notice probably is not going to dent the population, though I still find it sad. I know you probably don't care or have time enough to mess around, but you could teach your horses to fear rattles. I'm betting the one that got bit will know the sound when it hears it again. Horses have an amazing ability to withstand the venom as well, and it is their immune response to venom that we humans use to make antivenin. What really burns me is the large scale massacres called "Rattlesnake Roundups" that they still have in some places. These make me sick. Its a beautiful animal that is no longer a true life endangerment as it was 100 years ago. They have as much right to be here as anything. They eat tons of rodents, who do more destruction to human property health than snakes ever have. They don't carry or get the diseases that rodents carry, such as bubonic plague and lyme disease, so when they eat the sick rodent the buck stops there. Anyway, I know I'm unlikely to change anyone's mind, but please at least consider my words.
Last edited by discspeed on Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Roy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:40 pm

Dig It wrote:I am all about nature and the food chain but it seems pretty bullshit you have to beat the rodent into submission so the poor little snake doesn't get a scratch mark. If you want an animal that feeds on other animals as a pet you would think you wouldn't want a pussy that needs it's food pre-worked over. If you put a rat in the cage with a snake and the snake gets fucked up... seems like you should have that rat as a pet from then on out.

So I suppose my dog should be out chasing down deer instead of getting a bowl of kibble :roll:

It's responsible snake husbandry. Simple as that.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Roy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:47 pm

discspeed wrote:
chiggins wrote:
discspeed wrote:BTW, I've never heard of pre-killing pinky mice.

I was unclear. My instructions were to whack it on the wall to stun it, the reasons given were that the mouse needed to be warm for the snake to get into it, but if it were kickin' that it could scratch it up pretty good.

They were probably pinky rats. A mouse can only hurt a snake with its teeth.

It's best to get the snake used to eating dead prey as soon as possible, so that means if you have a tiny snake you need tiny prey. I dont think it's so much the danger to the snake as it is part of the training process. If you have an adult that's been eating live food for it's whole life the switch can be much tougher.

Ball pythons especially are picky eaters. My adult male will refuse all food for 4-5 months in the winter regardless if it's live, dead or on a dinner plate. Other species are garbage disposals, they never miss a chance to eat.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Dig It » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:50 pm

Roy wrote:
So I suppose my dog should be out chasing down deer instead of getting a bowl of kibble :roll:

I am stunned you think this is a good counter point.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby Roy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:16 pm

Dig It wrote:
Roy wrote:

I am stunned you think this is a good counter point.

Well obiously I'm being sarcastic...but a dog is animal that that eats other animals. So does a snake.

A rat or rabbit can harm or kill a snake, especially in an enclosure. That's a lot different thean the predator/prey relationship in the wild. Snakes are primitive, instinctual creatures. They dont worry about being a "pussy". If they are not interested in eating, then the rat is not food.

Look at my above post. My big male ball python will go 5 months without eating. If I throw a rat in there he wont do anything, except possibly get injured.

I added a picture of ball python injured by a rat -
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Dig It » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:29 pm

All I am saying is that if I had to go and bring a bowl of kibble near death in order for it not to harm my dog I would rethink what I am doing keeping such an animal as a pet. I've never been a snake or any "gross the girls out" animals type dude so I probably don't get it.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby discspeed » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:09 pm

Snakes certainly aren't for everyone, and they are definitely not for grossing girls out. I don't think I would have dated a girl at any point who was grossed out by snakes, but once again, that's just me. :P
discspeed

Postby maks » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:32 pm

a few years ago i actually bred and sold all kinds of reptiles. i plan on trying this again now that im older. i just need to get my own place again.
i also use to work at a reptile breeding facility in florida and worked at a reptile shop.

i love reptiles
maks
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Super-Roc

Postby ferretdance03 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:01 am

discspeed wrote:...What really burns me is the large scale massacres called "Rattlesnake Roundups" that they still have in some places. These make me sick...

I work with two guys that actually go to Rattlesnake hunts all across the country. Both of them have told me that they weigh and tag them, then are required to return them to where they captured them. No killing.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby Dogma » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:10 am

chiggins wrote: Add to that the feeling that I just took a mouse, a mammal, one of our team, and sold it down the river to feed a serpent

:lol:
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby discspeed » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:15 am

ferretdance03 wrote:
discspeed wrote:...What really burns me is the large scale massacres called "Rattlesnake Roundups" that they still have in some places. These make me sick...

I work with two guys that actually go to Rattlesnake hunts all across the country. Both of them have told me that they weigh and tag them, then are required to return them to where they captured them. No killing.

I would love to do something like that. If they ever come to FL I can show them some hotspots.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:25 am

I caught a juvenile yellow rat snake at the disc golf course yesterday! Its about 2.5' and just coming into it's adult markings/color patterns. I was playing a doubles tournament and saw it in a tree halfway through the round. I came back after the round and it was still there so I caught it. Its already so tame that my wife can hold it. I'm going to go get it some pinkies today. Its a super cool snake! Rat snakes rule! I'll post pics soon after I get the tank totally set up.
discspeed

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.