"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Re: Geocaching

Postby Working Stiff » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:56 pm

There are two caches where I work, so people show up from time to time looking for them. The people I see having a good time doing it are working in couples or groups, so it seems like it could be a fun social thing.

The guy in the office next to mine is huge into geocaching. He took a day off to go to a geocachers meeting in St. Louis a few weeks ago, and he comes in all the time talking about where he went geocaching over the weekend. He came in all excited the other day because he had been the first person to find a cache. Basically I think he is a crazy geocaching weirdo and he thinks I'm a crazy Frisbee weirdo, and we can find some mutual respect there.

If I ever got him out to the course he would probably crush. He’s 6'9" and his brother pitched in the big leagues. He would probably outdrive me from the first throw. He doesn’t seem very interested in trying, he’d rather go geocaching.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby JimW » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:40 am

We haven't done much in the past year or so but my girlfriend and I have found over 100 caches. Most locally though we also found a couple when we were in Tennessee a couple years ago. It's a nice way to get outdoors and find cool places you'd never go to otherwise.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:09 am

For the longest time there was one at the Buckhorn course under a bridge. I found it trying to get my disc out from under there.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby jnecessary » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:23 am

Funny how things travel in the disc golf circle.

At the Wildcat Springs tourney in Hamilton, IL there was a lot of talk about this. Something about Des Reading finding a 100+ lb Geode (no idea how to spell this, never heard of it till recently). Also, someone apparently brought Nate Doss a sack of smaller ones and he was running around like a kid in a candy store telling everyone about it, pretty hilarious. This was the first I've heard of this as a hobby but I seem to recall my grandparents having those stones around when I was a very young kid.

*edit*

I wiki'd geocaching...I was way off base..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocaching
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geode
--Current bag: Yeti, Roc, Teebird, Firebird, RoadRunner, Wraith, Force, Nuke...
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Dogma » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:17 pm

My wife and I used to go geocaching, but we haven't gone for the last few years. Got too busy with kids, DG, and other stuff. It is fun though. I ended up liking the Virtual Caches (no cache box, just a pretty or interesting place you wouldn't find otherwise) more than the actual caches.

My most frustrating cache turned out to be a 1 inch by 2 inch magnetic strip stuck to a metal post holding erosion netting between a road and a river. The magnet was colored to look the same as the post so you could only see it if you looked really closely. Cache info was written in small letters on the side that faced the post. I ended up having to call the cache owner to find it. I had been looking forever for a normal sized box but it turned out that little invisible magnet was it. Grrrrrr.

On a funnier note, we were hiking (not geocaching) in Virginia a few years ago and saw a big old tree with a hole in it. My wife said "wow that would be a great place to hide a cache." We walked over to check it out, and when we looked inside we found an ammo box. Turns out someone had already put a cache in there and we had found it by accident. It's funny how many there are that you walk by every day without knowing it.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby JimW » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:23 pm

There are some caches on some of the DG courses around here. I've found some in one of the parks though it was in a different section than the course and long before I even knew about disc golf. Found one while playing another course (not on accident, we were caching while golfing) and I've seen other people looking for it and some of the others in the park. Looking at the map there's apparently one right near the beginning of my home course.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby bcsst26 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:57 pm

We do it some. I use to do it a lot more before getting into disc golf. Anyways it is a great family activity and a good time. Gps are a powerful tool and once you start making your own maps and stuff for them they are even better.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby mark12b » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:07 pm

i've found a plundered cache at my home course, not sure if there's a replacement out there or not -- geocaching was fun when i first got my gps and the kids were into it, but they're older now and i play dg instead. :-)

toughest cache we ever found was along a walking path, and the coordinates had us kind of out in the open, not really within 10' of any real hiding places. turns out the cache was hidden inside of a fake sprinkler head. 8) of course once we saw it, it was obvious as it wasn't even in line with the other sprinkler heads. :)
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jesse B 707 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:46 pm

jnecessary wrote:Funny how things travel in the disc golf circle.

At the Wildcat Springs tourney in Hamilton, IL there was a lot of talk about this. Something about Des Reading finding a 100+ lb Geode (no idea how to spell this, never heard of it till recently). Also, someone apparently brought Nate Doss a sack of smaller ones and he was running around like a kid in a candy store telling everyone about it, pretty hilarious. This was the first I've heard of this as a hobby but I seem to recall my grandparents having those stones around when I was a very young kid.

*edit*

I wiki'd geocaching...I was way off base..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocaching
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geode

:lol: i love that you left the original post for teh lulz
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby jnecessary » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:55 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote: :lol: i love that you left the original post for teh lulz

well i was laughing my ass off when I realized it, may as well leave if for others entertainment :P
--Current bag: Yeti, Roc, Teebird, Firebird, RoadRunner, Wraith, Force, Nuke...
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby NoLifeLeft » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:00 am

1.) Dump a cache box at a dg course containing a good starter disc and instructions on how to play.
2.)???????
3.) Grow the sport.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby AciDBatH666 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:35 pm

I just downloaded an ap for my Iphone for this. Looks interesting. I downloaded the trial version earlier today... Went throw some discs at a busy small park near my house and said "Oh snap, lemme see if there's any Geocaches near me"
turns out there's about 3-4 in the park.
Looked for one but didn't wanna look like a retard searching this pavilion with ppl lookin at me from afar wondering wtf.

So I went ahead and downloaded the full ap. LOTS more info in it. I think I'm gonna try to check some of this stuff out in my spare time. I decided to go for the pay ap when I saw how many were in my city. And ALLLL over the place. Hell when I go to Austin with my gf I can just run around doing this for an afternoon. Seems fun :)
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby Jaysus » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:49 am

One of our local courses has a geocache on it near the #17 basket.
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby dgdave » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:00 am

All of the Norman/OKC courses have at least one on them.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.