Delicious foods exclusive to your region...

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Delicious foods exclusive to your region...

Postby discspeed » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:12 pm

Its stone crab season here on the west coast of FL...I'm still fairly new down here, but imo the stone crabs are the most delicious thing to come out of the sea. I like them better than lobster...Anyway, I know most people have never had stone crab and people pay ridiculous money for the ones that do make it out of state.

What food/foods do you have in your region that you can't get, or at least its not quite the same, anywhere else?
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: Delicious foods exclusive to your region...

Postby Solty » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:19 pm

http://www.pasnacks.com/

and of course...

Pennsylvania Piss Water....Yuengling Lager
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby The Bird Man » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:24 pm

I love picking mushrooms in Oregon. Some even make me see things! It is even better when I'm playing a round of disc and find some tasty fungi on the ground or on a tree.
The Bird Man
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby dgdave » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:29 pm

Cherry Mash are a mid-western thing, Biscuits and Gravy and a chicken fried steak is a very southern thing. Onion Burgers are a central OK thing that kick ass.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby keltik » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:40 pm

flitters, fatback, chicken slick, collard greens, cabbage n' hamhocks, the original barbecue hog, soft shell crabs, chitlens 'n' rice, gas station fried chicken livers n' gizzards, vegetable cooked with ham hocks (all of them),

damn now i'm hungry
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:40 pm

mustard based bar-b-q and moonshine.

from Maryland: softshell crab sandwiches
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby marmoset » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:43 pm

Mountain oysters!
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:44 pm

discspeed wrote:Its stone crab season here on the west coast of FL...I'm still fairly new down here, but imo the stone crabs are the most delicious thing to come out of the sea. I like them better than lobster...Anyway, I know most people have never had stone crab and people pay ridiculous money for the ones that do make it out of state.

What food/foods do you have in your region that you can't get, or at least its not quite the same, anywhere else?

I had stone crab sushi when I was down in Savannah last year and it was the bomb. It was the most expensive roll on the menu but it was totally worth it.
Frank Delicious

Postby keltik » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:08 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:mustard based bar-b-q and moonshine.

mustard based barbecue is pure shit garbage. it tastes like vomit and dumpster juice put together. Frank I know you're not from NC originally and I see that some sumbitch has led you astray. Go to Smithfield Chicken and Barbecue and get some delicious vinegar based barbecue and see the light.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:14 pm

keltik wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:mustard based bar-b-q and moonshine.

mustard based barbecue is pure shit garbage. it tastes like vomit and dumpster juice put together. Frank I know you're not from NC originally and I see that some sumbitch has led you astray. Go to Smithfield Chicken and Barbecue and get some delicious vinegar based barbecue and see the light.

I like me some eastern style barbecue also but damn if I don't love me some mustard barbecue sauce. My least favorite bbq sauce is anything ketchup based.

p.s. Smithfield's is shit and you need to eat at some local bbq places. You try and tell me what is good bbq and then tell me to eat at a franchised place, I spit on your restaurant choice.
Frank Delicious

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:27 pm

*QUALITY* authentic mexican food, im sure Texas has some too but nearly every other state ive been to if you're lucky enough to even find a taqueria it is awful. Also hippie type restaurants (vegan,veggie,raw.etc) dont see too many of them in the middle states (usually you aren't missing much though)
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby keltik » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:39 pm

Frank, I'm from Smithfield. I've eaten more than double your weight in barbecue from restaurants you didn't know existed.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby some call me...tim? » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:45 pm

I grew up in NC, and have fond memories of big ol' BBQ's. I developed a love for the NC vinegar based pulled pork BBQ, and haven't found it's equal anywhere else. There's a "Carolina BBQ" place that operates near my work that I've been to a couple times, but it must be South Carolina style, because it sure ain't the stuff I remember. My coworkers rave about how great it is, but to me, it's good, but not REAL deal. Oh, and keltik, you forgot to mention fried okra--tastes like crap in any other form, but fried, it's delectable.

In VA, blue crab and oysters were the big thing. I enjoy good ol' crab shuckin' as a way to sit around and drink and socialize, but crabcakes are so much more delicious and filling.

I agree with Jesse about good authentic Mexican food, it was an adjustment I had to make when I moved up here from CA.

Here in the Seattle area, all of the Asian food I've had has been the best I've had anywhere. And of course, the seafood. Put them together, and great things can happen. Salmon curry at a Thai restaurant was the first meal I had the first time I visited Seattle. I'll confess, it was a factor in me moving up here.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby what'shisname » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:17 pm

discspeed wrote:Its stone crab season here on the west coast of FL...I'm still fairly new down here, but imo the stone crabs are the most delicious thing to come out of the sea. I like them better than lobster...Anyway, I know most people have never had stone crab and people pay ridiculous money for the ones that do make it out of state.

I agree that crab > lobster, but to take it even further, dungeness crab >>> any other kind of crab.

Unfortunately neither are local for me. :(

For local foods I'd have to go with AAA Alberta Beef. Image
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby discspeed » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:34 pm

what'shisname wrote: dungeness crab >>> any other kind of crab.

This is an admission of never trying stone crab. :wink: I just ate 7 giant claws/arms, and I'm stuffed. Its so sweet and delectable that I could only dip every other morsel in garlic butter (mixed with twist of pink lemon from the tree in my front yard). Its so good that it is never wasted by making crab cakes...they use the more plentiful and widespread blue crab for that. We love stone crab so much in FL that we export almost all of our blue crab to the east coast. Its the "B" crab.

Mexican food is awesome down here as well. I go to a place where the tacos are made with homemade corn tortillas, there are 6 choices of meat (ground beef isn't one of them), no cheese just onions and cilantro and maybe a slice of avocado. Oh yeah, and if you don't speak a little Spanish its very uncomfortable to order.

Asian food down here is shit though...Chinese places advertise about being NY style...whatever the hell that means. It sucks. In Ann Arbor and Kalamazoo MI there were large populations of Asian students which meant good Asian food for cheap. I miss it.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.