Delicious foods exclusive to your region...

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Delicious foods exclusive to your region...

Postby chiggins » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:02 pm

Just got into New Orleans today, got checked into our place, and got oyster, catfish, shrimp, and brisket po' boys with a 6-pack of Abita from VertiMarte. Life's real good.

(Hopin' to check out a course in Metairie later this week.)
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby discspeed » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:44 am

International posters (or you couple of guys from Finland)...Share with us something we've not heard of.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby dgdave » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:48 am

I saw this this morning and I thought it was funny

iSnack 2.0
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby dgdave » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:16 am

"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby JR » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 am

discspeed wrote:International posters (or you couple of guys from Finland)...Share with us something we've not heard of.

I don't know the background here because I don't know what hissy fits were about because I missed them.

Karjalan piirakka (Karelian pirog in English which is a moronic translation btw.) with butter/egg mix on top fresh and warm is hard to top. It's rice filled thin rye dough crust that's a lot better done right than the components suggest. Getting great ones are near impossible for most Finns without traveling because it takes a very hot oven to make them right and that's not available everywhere.

Leipäjuusto (no translation that I know of) with black currant or cloudberry jam on top is heavenly. It's a dairy product that is fairly mild tasting by itself and like the name suggests is a little like bread but also cheese.

Hapankorppu (sour cracker or something like that) is a dry sour great tasting bread/salty biscuit mix tastewise luxury product eaten at parties in central Europe. Most of that is manufactured in Finland the largest producer in the world so it's far more common and cheap in daily usage here.

Crisp bread is also very common here and Finland is the second largest producer after Sweden.

Other Finns help me out what did I leave out beside a lot of fish foods of which salmon prepared in several way are probably most interesting to foreigners. Reindeer and elk with lingonberries (AKA cowberry I've been told) or lingonberry jam is great. So is a more rare treat bear from what I've been told. There aren't too many bears here so I've refrained from having it. The clan may take it as they will :-) Iit's expensive and rarely available anyway and by no means a regular dish here. The majority of Finns have probably never had bear.

Don't let the Swedes sucker you into smelling let alone tasting surströmming.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby BLURR » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:40 pm

I've got relatives that live in Sweden and they have told me about something called hakarl.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby domromer » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:57 pm

If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby stoneman » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:12 pm

THAT looks tasty...sour cream & guac, and two more just like it would be a great dinner. :D
stoneman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:20 pm

BLURR wrote:I've got relatives that live in Sweden and they have told me about something called hakarl.

Different animal different fermentation process but basically in both cases you're served rotten food.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:56 am

Forgot about lettu a flat thin pancake that isn't as dense and greasy as the ones you guys beyond the sea are accustomed to. They are also common in the Baltics and Russia I believe but the difference is in Finland it's almost always a sweet dessert ad with sugar, jam or ice cream or combinations thereof whereas elsewhere it's often rolled around salty food either as an appetizer or the main course.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BLURR » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:11 am

Lefse baby...good eating.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Jsw » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:55 am

JR, can you ship me some swedish Mora knives on the cheap?

I use them for hiking and camping, we have to pay about $10 for the standard "#1" and they cut better than most of my $100+ customs. 8)

Not really a food, but they are exclusively made in your region :mrgreen:
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby JR » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:24 am

Jsw wrote:JR, can you ship me some swedish Mora knives on the cheap?

I use them for hiking and camping, we have to pay about $10 for the standard "#1" and they cut better than most of my $100+ customs. 8)

Not really a food, but they are exclusively made in your region :mrgreen:

It'd be easier and cheaper for you to google a local source. Moras are durable they are widely sold here as well.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby shirfan » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:27 pm

Buffalo is quite obviously known for chicken wings. Regardless of some nonsense you might see the likes of Bobby Flay putting on them, they MUST be deep fried and then coated with a hot-sauce/butter mix for authenticity. (Frank's Red Hot is the traditional choice but others are acceptable for varying hotness). Breading is never OK, nor is baking.

Our pizza is fairly unique, with a relatively thick and dense crust but not deep dish style.

Then there's Beef on Weck, fall-apart roast beef with au jus on a salt and caraway seed encrusted hard roll. Normally served with heaps of horseradish.

Fish fries are certainly not unique, but the huge Catholic population here makes them unavoidable on Fridays, especially during Lent. Every bar and hole in the wall diner seems to be serving an enormous beer battered fillet with fries that could realistically feed 3 people, all to the tune of about 7-8 dollars.

Mighty Taco is a local fast-food chain that serves inauthentic yet awesome "mexican" fare for excellent prices. Comparatively, Taco Bell isn't fit for a dog.
shirfan
Noob

Previous

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.