Delicious foods exclusive to your region...

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Delicious foods exclusive to your region...

Postby SkaBob » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:38 pm

I dunno if Detroit really has any foods that're local exclusives...Our culture is such a mish-mash here it's hard to say anything's really FROM here... There're certain products that come from here... Vernors, Faygo, various processed meat and cereal products...

If I had to say there's any one thing that there's an abundance of, it's jazz-club soul-food. There's this place called Cliff Bells...ho-leee crap do they make some tasty vittles! (ho-leee crap, firefox's spell-check knows the word vittles!). More than anything Detroit's about music, though... Sooo many great clubs for any sort of music. All the good jazz clubs (Cliff Bell's, Mongo's, Baker's) have fantastic soul-food, too...

But we've got it all. We've got the largest middle eastern population outside the middle east, so there's TONS of great places to get hommus or falafel or fanTAStic fresh juices. Right across the street (literally, and it's amazing there's no fighting) is the largest jewish population in the US outside of NYC, so there's tons of great kosher delis and the like. We've got huge polish and ukranian populations (hell, the poles owned all of Hamtramck at one point...you can still get some of the best polish food around down there). We've got big asian (mostly Japanese) populations thanks to the auto industry, so there's sushi, but anyone that's had sushi on the coasts and in the midwest knows that our sushi blows goats.

The closest thing to a regional food we have are a few shops that've sprung up as Yoopers have migrated down from the frigid northern wastes that sell pasties...but I'll take me some thai food or middle eastern over a pasty any day! As a matter of fact, I'm having middle eastern tonight! 8)
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Working Stiff » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:34 pm

SkaBob wrote:The closest thing to a regional food we have are a few shops that've sprung up as Yoopers have migrated down from the frigid northern wastes that sell pasties...
It's part of our World-domination plan. First Detroit, then the World!!! AH, HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby JKP » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:29 pm

Mutton and Burgoo!
Omega ss-Kc Aviar-Comet-Roc-Vision-Pd-Firebird-Katana
JKP
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: vision

Postby discspeed » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:18 pm

SkaBob wrote:I dunno if Detroit really has any foods that're local exclusives...Our culture is such a mish-mash here it's hard to say anything's really FROM here... There're certain products that come from here... Vernors, Faygo, various processed meat and cereal products...

If I had to say there's any one thing that there's an abundance of, it's jazz-club soul-food. There's this place called Cliff Bells...ho-leee crap do they make some tasty vittles! (ho-leee crap, firefox's spell-check knows the word vittles!). More than anything Detroit's about music, though... Sooo many great clubs for any sort of music. All the good jazz clubs (Cliff Bell's, Mongo's, Baker's) have fantastic soul-food, too...

But we've got it all. We've got the largest middle eastern population outside the middle east, so there's TONS of great places to get hommus or falafel or fanTAStic fresh juices. Right across the street (literally, and it's amazing there's no fighting) is the largest jewish population in the US outside of NYC, so there's tons of great kosher delis and the like. We've got huge polish and ukranian populations (hell, the poles owned all of Hamtramck at one point...you can still get some of the best polish food around down there). We've got big asian (mostly Japanese) populations thanks to the auto industry, so there's sushi, but anyone that's had sushi on the coasts and in the midwest knows that our sushi blows goats.

The closest thing to a regional food we have are a few shops that've sprung up as Yoopers have migrated down from the frigid northern wastes that sell pasties...but I'll take me some thai food or middle eastern over a pasty any day! As a matter of fact, I'm having middle eastern tonight! 8)

Don't forget Greek Town...I've had some great food in that otherwise shitty neighborhood near Cobo and St. Andrews.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby SkaBob » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:47 am

discspeed wrote:Don't forget Greek Town...I've had some great food in that otherwise shitty neighborhood near Cobo and St. Andrews.

Aaah greek town...90 places to get saganaki, and the blue nile. mmm ethiopian meat pastes and sponge bread....

The little bar/diner next to St. Andys is always a hoot, too...the old guy there will try and pawn off schnapps shots on anyone willing to go in there!

Hopefully he doesn't fall asleep before you need a refill, though...he's tough to wake up!
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby masterbeato » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:40 pm

jesus fucking christ where did all the fucking hissy fits come from on this thread? since when was it not ok to come up with your own opinions or personal experiences or preferences?

this pisses me the fuck off!
Last edited by masterbeato on Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby masterbeato » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:43 pm

do not F with the beto, may not think much of my fat ass but will regret it with his superb ninja tactics!
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby discspeed » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:49 am

masterbeato wrote:jesus fucking christ where did all the fucking hissy fits come from on this thread? since when was it not ok to come up with your own opinions or personal experiences or preferences?

this pisses me the fuck off!

Nice hissy fit! :lol: Maybe food should be added to the list of controversial topics like religion, politics, etc. Its funny that this thread spawned the now removed thread that in part made it necessary for our new forum rules... :shock:
discspeed

Postby Leopard » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:03 am

What deleted thread? I missed it. Did Jesse start a delicious weed thread?

Beer thread and cigar thread survive? Drugs!
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby Leopard » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:27 am

Ted Damson wrote:What deleted thread?

hahahahaha I got informed :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hotdish give me sex, must defend her honor!! :mrgreen:
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby masterbeato » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:03 am

i like a local joint called "Flameburger".
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:10 am

Ted Damson wrote:

WAT?
i guess i missed it :(
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby dgdave » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:13 am

Jesse B 707 wrote:
Ted Damson wrote:

WAT?
i guess i missed it :(

Me too. I thought I read everything at this place.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:17 am

whatever happened im not happy with the results, i preferred the unspoken rules, now it feels like the man is bearing down on us :|
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby discspeed » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:46 am

Jesse B 707 wrote:whatever happened im not happy with the results, i preferred the unspoken rules, now it feels like the man is bearing down on us :|

Here's my interpretation:

Don't be a dick for the sake of being a dick...this site isn't about personal grievances.
Don't make drug references that are so overt that they couldn't possibly be interpreted any other way--especially in a thread title or somewhere else super obvious...drugs are illegal and I'm sure in some way Blake is probably responsible for content and never wants to have to answer any "questions" from any sort of authority. I can't blame him for at least having proof that he has made that a clear parameter.

The rules protect us (and Blake) from "The Man".
discspeed

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.