So I wanna buy an Xbox 360

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

So I wanna buy an Xbox 360

Postby jnecessary » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:19 pm

Anyone got a pro tip on what is the best model to get and where to get the best deal?

I found a couple Arcades locally on craiglist in sealed boxes, so they shouldn't be modded, around the $150-60 mark.

I'm probably going to buy Forza and MW2, so the MW2 special edition is a possibility but I don't really need the extra controller at the moment...

Thoughts/Suggestions?
--Current bag: Yeti, Roc, Teebird, Firebird, RoadRunner, Wraith, Force, Nuke...
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: So I wanna buy an Xbox 360

Postby Roy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:35 pm

I bought a new arcade and added a used 20gb hard drive. I think it was around $230 or so to get started.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby jnecessary » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:52 pm

Hrm... I'm kind of afraid to buy one from craigslist with all the talk of the modded machines being banned from xbox live.

230 aint bad, basically 300 if i went that route and bought MW2, and 360 if i got forza as well. so expensive
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Postby jnecessary » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:35 am

you guys suck. will be posting my xbox live ID soon :) MW:2 bundle incomming
--My PDGA--My Trade List
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Blake_T » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:52 pm

heh.

was gonna say that HDD isn't super important unless you plan on using it as a media center and/or downloading tons of stuff. considering that they haven't really addressed the lead-free solder overheat that leads to the RROD issue, you're usually better off NOT using it as a media center. the newer models run at a slightly cooler temperature which delays but doesn't eliminate the RROD.

the arcade's on CL were priced cheap since walmart had a buy an arcade for $200, get a free $100 gift card deal. you can get refurb'd 20gb hdd's for $30.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby jnecessary » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:36 pm

i went with the mw:2 bundle because I know I would have been wanting better if i went the cheaper route. I thought about getting an arcade on CL for 150 because of that deal a lot of people were selling to make a quick 50 bucks or so...then getting a 20gb HDD, but I want to load the games on the disc and that wouldn't even hold 4+ games, hell Forza loads 2 discs on there. I'm not sure really...I'm thinking the deal I should have gotten was the elite with 2 game bundle for 300, but then I'd be buying forza and mw:2 anyway...

sad thing is I already took the 360 back this morning for a new one because Forza was locking up, lucky I didn't swap HDD's like they asked if i wanted to because the one from the original purchase was very loud when seeking and reading/writing, i bet it would have died quickly, the new one is nearly silent.
--My PDGA--My Trade List
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Blake_T » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:12 pm

i went with the mw:2 bundle because I know I would have been wanting better if i went the cheaper route. I thought about getting an arcade on CL for 150 because of that deal a lot of people were selling to make a quick 50 bucks or so...then getting a 20gb HDD, but I want to load the games on the disc and that wouldn't even hold 4+ games, hell Forza loads 2 discs on there. I'm not sure really...I'm thinking the deal I should have gotten was the elite with 2 game bundle for 300, but then I'd be buying forza and mw:2 anyway...

well, considering you still need the game disc in the system, the whole loading game discs onto the HDD isn't all that important.

microsoft isn't allowing anyone to make any HDD required games.

i'm actually debating picking up a 360 but i haven't decided if i want to buy a cheap0 used one under the assumption it will crap out or pay 2-3x as much for one that will crap out a year later.
Blake_T

Postby jnecessary » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:49 pm

Blake_T wrote:

well, considering you still need the game disc in the system, the whole loading game discs onto the HDD isn't all that important.

microsoft isn't allowing anyone to make any HDD required games.

i'm actually debating picking up a 360 but i haven't decided if i want to buy a cheap0 used one under the assumption it will crap out or pay 2-3x as much for one that will crap out a year later.

a couple things...

loading the discs onto the HDD is like night and day when loading games/levels.

now MS will fix or replace any system with RROD within 3 years. That is long enough for me because in 3 years they will be into next gen most likely as it is already 4-5 year old tech.
--My PDGA--My Trade List
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Blake_T » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:24 pm

now MS will fix or replace any system with RROD within 3 years. That is long enough for me because in 3 years they will be into next gen most likely as it is already 4-5 year old tech.

they've totally gimped the RROD replacement unfortunately. no more free box, free shipping, etc.

i'm selling one of my 60gb PS3's in the near future and might pick up a 360 since there's enough RPG's out finally to justify one. debating if i want to play the warranty game and pay a bit more or if i'm better off just treating it as disposable.
Blake_T

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.