Books

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Books

Postby Timko » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:32 pm

I read The Death Gate Cycle as a kid too. I remember liking it, but I can't remember what it's about for the life of me. :?
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth
User avatar
 
Posts: 7708
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: KCMO

Re: Books

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:40 pm

kaht wrote:Who says the Wheel of Time isn't going to end? The entire series is scheduled to be wrapped up in November 2011, 14 books in all. The most recent book (released about 3 weeks ago), was co-written by Brandon Sanderson. My wife is a big fan of his other work - Elantris is a standalone novel if you prefer stories that aren't drawn out. Personally, I usually suggest the Assassin Trilogy by Robin Hobb if someone asks me for a fantasy recommendation. If you insist on reading a book with a happy ending then you might wanna skip over it.


Anytime the author dies before the series ends, I'm not going to believe it's actually going to end until I see it.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown
User avatar
 
Posts: 12364
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:43 pm
Location: Drowning in a cold river
Favorite Disc: Wraith

Re: Books

Postby Star Shark » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:51 pm

I'm a big fan of Raymond E Feist's books, starting with Magician: Apprentice...
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1466
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:27 am
Location: Studio City, CA
Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Re: Books

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:30 pm

I am reading "How to Make Love Like A Porn Star: A cautionary tale" by Jenna Jameson. It mixes her horribly depressing life with mostly naked pictures of her. I haven't had a boner since I started reading it.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown
User avatar
 
Posts: 12364
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:43 pm
Location: Drowning in a cold river
Favorite Disc: Wraith

Re: Books

Postby jubuttib » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:26 am

Everything by Terry Pratchett. Everything. Also everything by Douglas Adams.

For the Finns, if you haven't already read Markus Kajo's Kettunen series, DO IT NOW.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: Books

Postby some call me...tim? » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:00 am

jubuttib wrote:Everything by Terry Pratchett. Everything. Also everything by Douglas Adams.

For the Finns, if you haven't already read Markus Kajo's Kettunen series, DO IT NOW.


Props! I actually haven't read any Adams, but I've thoroughly enjoyed the original radio shows countless times over. And yeah Discworld is a place I like to visit regularly.

Speaking of Scandanavian writers, I'm about 3/4 of the way through "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson. It was recommended to me by a friend, and I'm digging it, a nice intelligent mystery without being cliched and formulaic.

Oh and Frank, I did check out "Blindness" a while ago on your recommendation, and you're right, that is a damn fine book. I still enjoy GRRM though, I don't care what you say. :wink:
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1946
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:01 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Books

Postby jubuttib » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:00 pm

some call me...tim? wrote:
jubuttib wrote:Everything by Terry Pratchett. Everything. Also everything by Douglas Adams.

For the Finns, if you haven't already read Markus Kajo's Kettunen series, DO IT NOW.


Props! I actually haven't read any Adams, but I've thoroughly enjoyed the original radio shows countless times over. And yeah Discworld is a place I like to visit regularly.

Speaking of Scandanavian writers, I'm about 3/4 of the way through "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson. It was recommended to me by a friend, and I'm digging it, a nice intelligent mystery without being cliched and formulaic.

Oh and Frank, I did check out "Blindness" a while ago on your recommendation, and you're right, that is a damn fine book. I still enjoy GRRM though, I don't care what you say. :wink:


Yeah, the radio shows are great, and what I like about every adaptation of The Guide is that they're done differently, so there's an incentive to see/hear/read every version. Adams' Dirk Gently books are also fantastic, too bad he only wrote two before, well you know. Third was in the works, very sad that it was never finished.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: Books

Postby Pat » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:53 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:I am reading "How to Make Love Like A Porn Star: A cautionary tale" by Jenna Jameson. It mixes her horribly depressing life with mostly naked pictures of her. I haven't had a boner since I started reading it.



to quote fasteddy, I think 2 drops of pee came out of me when I read this.
Keep on Chooglin'
Pat
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1046
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 8:31 pm
Location: Northeast PA

Re: Books

Postby maks » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:27 am

ive been in a chuck palahniuk phase....and im lovin the books ive read so far...

invisible monsters
survivor
Lullaby

so far i think i have a tie between invisible monsters and survivor being my fav books.

actually i think i liked survivor a bit more....

up next is:
Diary by Chuck
maks
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:16 pm
Location: ¡NOW IN DENVER, CO!
Favorite Disc: Super-Roc

Re: Books

Postby dgdave » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:52 am

Diary and lullaby were weak.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General
User avatar
 
Posts: 12099
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:22 pm
Location: Central OK
Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Re: Books

Postby some call me...tim? » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:54 am

Choke was my favorite Palahniuk book, but I gave it another read through not too long ago and it was far less rewarding the second time around. :?

I'm going through "True Blue" by David Baldacci right now, which is just page turning fluff for the most part. I can enjoy that in the right mood, but this one still just isn't very good. I'm not sure if Baldacci has actually ever met a black person before, or if he's just seen a few episodes of "Good Times" and some old Michael Jackson videos.

I'm pretty much ready to plow through it and move on to something new, but not sure what next to put on the queue. Right now "Practical Demonkeeping" by Christopher Moore sounds appealing, or maybe "The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest."
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1946
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:01 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Books

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:07 am

some call me...tim? wrote:Choke was my favorite Palahniuk book, but I gave it another read through not too long ago and it was far less rewarding the second time around. :?

I'm going through "True Blue" by David Baldacci right now, which is just page turning fluff for the most part. I can enjoy that in the right mood, but this one still just isn't very good. I'm not sure if Baldacci has actually ever met a black person before, or if he's just seen a few episodes of "Good Times" and some old Michael Jackson videos.

I'm pretty much ready to plow through it and move on to something new, but not sure what next to put on the queue. Right now "Practical Demonkeeping" by Christopher Moore sounds appealing, or maybe "The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest."


I keep eye balling The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but haven't picked it up yet, is it a pretty good read?
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown
User avatar
 
Posts: 12364
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:43 pm
Location: Drowning in a cold river
Favorite Disc: Wraith

Re: Books

Postby biodarwin » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:14 am

I didn't think Diary was that bad. Err never mind I think that was Choke. Been a while.
Orc | Valkyrie | Teebird | Leopard | Buzz | Aviar
Buy/Sell/Trade??? http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16798&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
biodarwin
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:23 am
Location: Monroe, LA
Favorite Disc: Roc,Leopard,Teebird

Re: Books

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:22 am

Hampton Sides.....


Blood and Thunder: The Epic story of Kit Carson and the founding of the American West
Ghost Soldiers: The Rescue of the Bataan death march soldiers in the Phillipines

Both were great.
"Strange women distributing swords from the bottom of ponds is no basis for a government"
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:45 am
Location: Memphis, TN
Favorite Disc: Moving Pictures?

Re: Books

Postby dgdave » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:44 am

I've been rereading all my Vonnegut
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General
User avatar
 
Posts: 12099
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:22 pm
Location: Central OK
Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest