-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Re: Books

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:48 am

dgdave wrote:I've been rereading all my Vonnegut

read almost all of his stuff w a buddy of mine about 10 years ago.....Sirens of Titan is my fave!

Timequake and BLuebeard were both memorable as well.....he tells a story about his dad getting pulled over while driving. He had not had a license for over a decade....he tells the cop this and then says, "what are you gonna' do? shoot me?"
"Strange women distributing swords from the bottom of ponds is no basis for a government"
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Moving Pictures?

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:26 am

Even though I bashed Palanuik in the past I don't hate him, he is really more of an edgy young adult writer. I remember being blown away by his stuff in high school and college and last year I re-read Survivor and Choke and was like "eh". He really appeals to people in the late teen age group.

Also everyone should read Anatomy of Fascism if you are interested in politics at all. It is probably the best breakdown of fascism and how it works that I have ever read.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:33 am

Frank Delicious wrote:Even though I bashed Palanuik in the past I don't hate him, he is really more of an edgy young adult writer. I remember being blown away by his stuff in high school and college and last year I re-read Survivor and Choke and was like "eh". He really appeals to people in the late teen age group.

Also everyone should read Anatomy of Fascism if you are interested in politics at all. It is probably the best breakdown of fascism and how it works that I have ever read.

Frank,
Have you read Blowback by Chalmers Johnson....who wrote Anatomy of Fascism?
"Strange women distributing swords from the bottom of ponds is no basis for a government"
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:41 am

Tossin' in Memphis wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:Even though I bashed Palanuik in the past I don't hate him, he is really more of an edgy young adult writer. I remember being blown away by his stuff in high school and college and last year I re-read Survivor and Choke and was like "eh". He really appeals to people in the late teen age group.

Frank,

Robert Paxton and no I haven't. Is it worth checking out?
Frank Delicious

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:46 am

Frank Delicious wrote:

Frank,

Blowback is phenomenal......Too be brief about it, if you are a Ron Paul type libertarian with regard to foreign policy, this book is for you. If you believe that the U.S. can do no wrong and that we should have a presence everywhere, then this book is not for you...make sense? Is the Paxtion book recent?
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:49 am

Just checked out what Blowback was about and don't know if I am that interested in a book about U.S. foreign policy in Asia and how Imperialism hurts the Imperialists in the end. It sounds like a book I'll keep in the back of my mind for the used bookstore. His pro-communist leanings in the introduction are nice though.
Frank Delicious

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:53 am

Frank Delicious wrote:

Frank,

Blowback is phenomenal......Too be brief about it, if you are a Ron Paul type libertarian with regard to foreign policy, this book is for you. If you believe that the U.S. can do no wrong and that we should have a presence everywhere, then this book is not for you...make sense? Is the Paxtion book recent?

I think it came out in 04 or 05, Paxton is a Historian and puts forth a good read on how fascism forms in otherwise civilized societies. Here's his definition of Fascism

"Fascism may be defined as a form of political behavior marked by obsessive preoccupation with community decline, humiliation, or victim-hood and by compensatory cults of unity, energy, and purity, in which a mass-based party of committed nationalist militants, working in uneasy but effective collaboration with traditional elites, abandons democratic liberties and pursues with redemptive violence and without ethical or legal restraints goals of internal cleansing and external expansion."

Also what if I am neither of those things in regards to the U.S. foreign policy? I am more of a liberal but I am not really a U.S. apologist or anything.
Frank Delicious

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:08 am

Frank Delicious wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:

Frank,

I think it came out in 04 or 05, Paxton is a Historian and puts forth a good read on how fascism forms in otherwise civilized societies. Here's his definition of Fascism

"Fascism may be defined as a form of political behavior marked by obsessive preoccupation with community decline, humiliation, or victim-hood and by compensatory cults of unity, energy, and purity, in which a mass-based party of committed nationalist militants, working in uneasy but effective collaboration with traditional elites, abandons democratic liberties and pursues with redemptive violence and without ethical or legal restraints goals of internal cleansing and external expansion."

Also what if I am neither of those things in regards to the U.S. foreign policy? I am more of a liberal but I am not really a U.S. apologist or anything.

Certainly one does not have to fall into categories...just trying to make a delineation for explanatory purposes...very intrested in the Paxton book.....Also, Johnson goes into blowback in the "post 9/11" world in the newer edition. I would not have expected to be into a book that is heavy on Asia as a subject either but I was surprised.
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

Postby some call me...tim? » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:39 am

Frank Delicious wrote:I keep eye balling The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but haven't picked it up yet, is it a pretty good read?

It is, indeed. Very intelligently written with engaging plotlines and unique characters. Even though the books can be classified as mystery novels, the main characters are really the focus of the storytelling. It's a shame that Larsson is dead because his stuff has been some of the more enjoyable writing that I've been turned onto in the last couple years.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Flipflat » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:42 pm

Just thought I'd give some props to "The Solitude of Prime Numbers", by Paolo Giordano, translated by Shaun Whiteside. The writing is outstanding. This Paolo guy is good. I tried to type out the plot, but gave up. Check the link above.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby Jsw » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:51 pm

Just re-read I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. Such a bad ass novel. The movie with Will Smith just doesn't do it justice. I love how the hero basically comes to realize that he's the villain from a different perspective.

"...Come out, Neville!
"
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby some call me...tim? » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:34 am

I've heard that the movie was a complete bastardization of the novel. Maybe I'll get around to reading it someday, after I've cleaned out the skidmarks the movie left in my DVD player.

I read Starship Troopers recently, hearing the same sort of thing about the movie didn't do the book justice. I thought the movie stunk when I saw it back in the 90's, but had high hopes, being that Stranger in a Strange Land is still one of my favorite books. It turns out that the movie was a bastardization of the novel, but I didn't think much of the novel either.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:37 am

Starship Troopers was a great movie, you have no taste.
Frank Delicious

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:45 am

anybody read much Cormac Macarthy other than The Road.......Good Stuff
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.