The Train?

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

The Train?

Postby maks » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:52 am

has anyone here traveled by train going state to state?

id be interested in knowing how it went.....price, luggage limits, did you have your own room....and where and how long was it?

im thinking of taking the train to colorado from illinois....but havnt really looked into prices or if its even possible.
maks
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Super-Roc

Re: The Train?

Postby keltik » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:03 am

the last train i was on was the ICE in Germany. I don't think Amtrak comes even close but i'm sure you could get a good rate since hardly anyone travels by train anymore.

EDIT: I just looked at Amtrak.com and you are looking at a 19 hour train ride from Denver to Chicago (you didn't give any specifics) and it's only 15 hours to drive from Denver to Chicago.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby maks » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:22 am

thats pretty much right on location wise...im movin to denver and live currently twenty or so mins away from chicago.

when im not using my phone for internet ill go to their website and check it out.
im more interested in seeing if you get a lil room or what not....if they serve booze that could be pretty fun.
maks
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Dig It » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:02 am

I used to take the train from Denver to Iowa WAY back in the day. Due to it not being a 24 hour trip we didn't get a room but the seats were very nice. Stretching your legs has never been easier while traveling and the food cart is BA. We went Amtrak. I was much younger so I couldn't comment on the booze but I would be shocked if they didn't offer cocktails.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby some call me...tim? » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:49 am

Trains can be great if you're not in a hurry, but be aware, that Amtrak runs late a LOT of the time. Last time I rode the train, it was from Santa Barbara to San Diego, it took a while, but it was a pleasant ride. The seats are large and comfy (as far as public transit goes) with plenty of legroom. Also, they had electrical outlets at all the seats so you could plug your laptop in if you want. And yes, there is alcohol on board. I don't remember hard liquor, but they did have beer & wine, and they actually had surprisingly decent choices. I can't remember what all the good beer they had was, but I *think* they actually had 22's of Arrogant Bastard available. And I've never traveled in one of the rooms before, they're available, but cost significantly more.

Planes are still the most convenient in terms of travel time, but if you're on a budget and aren't in a hurry, I'd definitely give the train a thumbs up.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby maks » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:37 pm

ok so i went to the website and i decided ill take the train!!!
i really wanted to have a cool room but it cost at least 3 hundo!!!

i guess ill just have ta dream of having a cool room like the movies lolol
maks
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JHern » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:38 am

keltik wrote:EDIT: I just looked at Amtrak.com and you are looking at a 19 hour train ride from Denver to Chicago (you didn't give any specifics) and it's only 15 hours to drive from Denver to Chicago.

I take the train a lot in NorCal, instead of driving (I did today, after driving half-way). Driving requires your constant attention, and it can be frustrating if the drivers around you are idiots, or it there is traffic, etc.. When you're riding on the train, you can turn your attention to other stuff, and spend your transit time doing something fun (life is already too short). Hell, on Amtrak you can bring some booze for yourself, and a spread of food too.

So I'll opt for train over driving, even if it takes a little longer.

Unfortunately, the train usually costs more than driving, especially if you have more than one passenger. Amtrak has to pay rent to the railroad barons to use the lines, even though these big railroads were essentially given their rail lines by the US gov't back in the day.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.