Smoker Recommendations

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Smoker Recommendations

Postby bcsst26 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:14 am

Alright so Christmas is finally here and I have received some money to buy a smoker. I am looking for something that is low maintenance while smoking and will give good results. I am looking to spend less than 200. Anyone have any suggestions on one for this price? I have been looking at some propane ones but not to sure about them. Any suggestions would be great.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Re: Smoker Recommendations

Postby BLURR » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:15 am

I have an "Old Smokey" can smoker. It is ok, but doesn't really give a real full smoke flavor. It is however only like $120.

My dad has this one and it works really good.

I would stay away from the propane one's. I don't think they produce a good end product.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby bcsst26 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:06 am

That is funny you said about the propane ones not producing a good end product. I have read some different websites and they said the same thing about the electric ones. That is why I was thinking of staying away from the electric ones. Anyways I assume you smoke outside with the electric one but how does it do during rain or snow? That was one of my worries also.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby BLURR » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:29 am

Best Flavor:
1. Natural Wood Smoker
2. Electric Smoker
3. Propane Smoker

Ease of Use:
1. Electric Smoker
2. Propane Smoker
3. Natural Wood Smoker

I actually smoke in my garage with my can smoker. It seals everything inside pretty good. I do have my garage door open...but no real difficulties. My coworker is going to buy my can smoker...so I am actually in the market right now for an upgrade.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby MR. WICK » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:47 am

A friend of mine made one of these http://cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html
seems to work well.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby jeremy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:14 am

I have had a barrel smoker used with charcoal and wood. I used it for 3 years; it produces good flavor, and quality product. The downfalls are you have to watch it constantly to keep the temperature in the correct range.

My buddy has had a propane smoker for 6 years or so, it also produces quality smoked meats, but goes through a lot of propane, and if you only have 1 tank and run out during the middle of smoking something you have to finish it off in the oven or find another tank. He also goes through a lot of propane. He wishes he would have gotten an electric.

2 months ago we got a new electric smoker. We have done chickens, fish, turkey, ribs, and briskets. All the meat has turned out great. Low maintence, great tasting, and very easy to use. We use it under our back patio, and have noticed that high winds, and low outside temps in the upper 40's and lower case the smoker to not get as hot, and require longer cook times since there is no temperature adjustment.

I have never used a wood smoker so I cannot give any feedback in that area.

Over the 3 that I have used or been around I will keep with my electric. I was hesitant at first because I'm more of a naturalist, but the ease of use and quality of what I have smoked has been great.
jeremy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 178gr Comet

Postby bcsst26 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:49 pm

jeremy wrote:I have had a barrel smoker used with charcoal and wood. I used it for 3 years; it produces good flavor, and quality product. The downfalls are you have to watch it constantly to keep the temperature in the correct range.

My buddy has had a propane smoker for 6 years or so, it also produces quality smoked meats, but goes through a lot of propane, and if you only have 1 tank and run out during the middle of smoking something you have to finish it off in the oven or find another tank. He also goes through a lot of propane. He wishes he would have gotten an electric.

2 months ago we got a new electric smoker. We have done chickens, fish, turkey, ribs, and briskets. All the meat has turned out great. Low maintence, great tasting, and very easy to use. We use it under our back patio, and have noticed that high winds, and low outside temps in the upper 40's and lower case the smoker to not get as hot, and require longer cook times since there is no temperature adjustment.

I have never used a wood smoker so I cannot give any feedback in that area.

Over the 3 that I have used or been around I will keep with my electric. I was hesitant at first because I'm more of a naturalist, but the ease of use and quality of what I have smoked has been great.

Which electric smoker do you have? If I was getting a propane smoker I would have two tanks. I already have one for my turkey deep fryer so I would get another one for the smoker.
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby jeremy » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:32 pm

bcsst26 wrote:
Which electric smoker do you have? If I was getting a propane smoker I would have two tanks. I already have one for my turkey deep fryer so I would get another one for the smoker.

The Brinkman Gormet Electric Smoker. It can be had for around $120.
jeremy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby bcsst26 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:54 pm

jeremy wrote:
bcsst26 wrote:

The Brinkman Gormet Electric Smoker. It can be had for around $120.

Can you control the temperature on that one? Just wandering since I would be doing shoulders and briskets? If not how do you do the longer smokes on it? Thanks for the info.
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby jeremy » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:09 pm

bcsst26 wrote:
Can you control the temperature on that one? Just wandering since I would be doing shoulders and briskets? If not how do you do the longer smokes on it? Thanks for the info.

No temp regulation. The 14lb Turkey we done for Thanksgiving took about 7hrs. 3 racks of ribs we went ahead and done them for 10hrs, 5lb chicken went for about 4hrs. We just use a meat thermometer and pull it off when it hits the recommended temp, or looks good. When it is cold, or windy the food does take a lot longer. Overall I'm satisfied with the smoker, but the downfall is no temperature regulation.
jeremy
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.