Disc Golf Videos

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Disc Golf Videos

Postby Hoey » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:43 am

I love them. I want to make them. Problem is, I don't know how hard it is, time consuming, or what programs to use.

Anybody out there make one of your own? They're everywhere, I can't see it as being a wicked pain...

Could someone point me in the right direction as far as what programs are good to use, and what has worked well for you?

Thanks (again) in advance!

~Hoey
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Re: Disc Golf Videos

Postby Cali » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:40 am

If you are a Mac guy, Final Cut.

If you are a PC guy, Adobe Premier.

You can bootleg either on bit torrent to problem. They are both fairly simple to pick up once you learn the basics. What kind of rig are you gonna be shooting on? With the whole HD revolution in full swing you can pick up a used Cannon GL2, which is ideal for shooting action, for mad cheap.
Cali
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Hoey » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:58 pm

Thanks Cali!

we sir, have different definitions of mad cheap! :lol:

but I'm sure those are some great prices for what the camera does. :wink:

Good stuff to look into during the coming winter months for sure.

Thanks again!
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby BLURR » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:26 pm

Well...there is Adobe Premiere Elements which is a stripped down version of the $800 version of the full software package. There is also Pinnacle Studios which isn't half bad. I have used Premiere, Premiere Elements and Pinnacle Studios on various projects. For ease of use, I would suggest Premiere Elements if you are looking for a cheap piece of software to compile movie clips into a dvd. PS was ok, but I found the interface to be better for Premiere.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Leopard » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:20 pm

Adobe Premier pays me

Make dg's Point Break please
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby JR » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:30 am

Casio EX-F1 is way cheaper and no stinking cassettes and the tape head malice Canon GT2 suffers from. And you get up to 1200 FPS. Or 6 megapixel 60 FPS for one second. Price ain't as high either.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Jeronimo » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:08 am

Go talk to the dodge man.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby JR » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:30 am

Jeronimo wrote:Go talk to the dodge man.

With all due respect to the excellent DVDs Steve's been involved with the cameras aren't as great as the making of the DVDs and the event. If you got sponsorship dollars for getting a current generation camera... I've eyed a Sanyo VPC 2000HD or VPC FH1 but haven't found all of the necessary details. No manufacturer discloses all relevant data. They're cheaper than Casio EX-F1. 240 FPS option is available but at a lower resolution. I haven't yet checked out those if they're available to test locally. So far I've seen only two web stores that have them. They claim 1080p at 60 FPS which is great if it's real. I wouldn't wonder if it's interlaced recording or only 30 pictures per second. There's so much marketing speak about cameras these days that even legit claims must be viewed with a grain of salt. At least until you find verification to the claims. I just started my search so I'm not thoroughly versed on this subject of what's available and what works best. Yet.

What you need from a DG camera is a quick accurate auto focus which can be tested only in real life. You know what I'm talking about the first time you track a disc flying by. Progressive scan preferably 60 FPS so that the camera actually records progressive and outputs it not just record interlaced and output futzed by algorithm processed i>p signal. When you film you need to have either automatic exposure time control that is quick enough even at low light conditions to avoid blurring of high speed objects such as discs or manual override. 1/2000 second or shorter exposure time is good -the shorter the exposure time the better. Good battery life and a back up. Good optics. Anti shake is a must. At least 4x zoom. It's up to you which weight works for you. Heavier is stabler but difficult on a long day. Silent operation if you're anywhere close to the tee. Avery Jenkins was impressed by the factual silentness to the thrower of Casio EX-F1 this summer. Filmed from few yards away.

The larger the sensor is the better it will handle cloudy, rainy or night shooting. A good built in microphone doesn't hurt. Usually tight pattern is better for recording only the thrower and the disc. If the camera has in built wind noise cancellation it's a bonus.

Clear images from good optics doesn't hurt and is a must for commercial progression of the sport.

There is bound to be more but that's just off the top of my head based on my limited experience. lcgm8 uses a Canon HG20 IIRC. No high speed mode in that camera. But it's up to you what you need. Considering Vibram had RPM competition and even pocket cams for 150 USD from Casio are available, high speed filming should not be easily overlooked.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.