Super Gun and Friends

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Super Gun and Friends

Postby Bradley Walker » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:29 am

This is the Super Gun. It is my switch barrel benchrest/varmint gun that I had made. I decided it was stupid to have more than one gun. You really only need one gun... saves on scopes and such. It takes about 10 minutes to swap barrels. Based on this theory, I decided to sell all my old guns and scopes and just buy one "Super Gun".

The action is a Remington 40x benchrest single shot trued by S and S Precision. The bolt was custom made for the 6BR. The trigger is the original 40x set at about 4 oz.

Stick is the gunsmith at S & S, and he worked for Speedy Gonzales for 20 years as a machinist. Speedy is a legend in the world of shooting and gunsmithing.

The stock is a fiberglass Shehane made by McMillan. The scope is a Nightforce 12-42 x 56 Benchrest (the best one can buy right now).

I have two barrels and two bolts. One bolt accommodates all of the 30-06 derived cartridges, and the other the 223 derived cartridges.

The barrel installed for the pictures is a 6BR 1-8 twist no turn neck Kreiger heavy varmint.

The other barrel is a Kreiger 1-14 twist chambered in 223 Ackley Improved.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: Super Gun and Friends

Postby keltik » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:55 am

very nice. is the barrel free floated or do you have it block bedded?

why the .223 AI?

what long action cartridge are you slingin?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby keltik » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:15 am

here's a little .17HM2 i put together a few years ago, me and dad call it redheaded squirrel medicine

keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Bradley Walker » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:33 am

keltik wrote:very nice. is the barrel free floated or do you have it block bedded?

why the .223 AI?

what long action cartridge are you slingin?

The barrels are completely free floated from in front of the recoil lug.

The 223 AI is awesome. Way underrated what this little guy can do, and you can shoot regular 223 in it because it headspaces on the base of the neck.

6BR, 223AI, 223

Ackley chambers are made just a little tight at bolt closure so they shoot standard ammo the same. Some of my best groups have been with 223 ammo. I liked it so much I had my 223 rechambered with the same reamer to match.

I built this gun... I did all the work myself except for the rechambering. I had the 223 rechambered using the same reamer as the Super Gun so both fireform the same into 223AI.

Remington 700 BDL all stainless
1-12 twist Rem barrel shortened 1/2" and re-chambered by Stick at S & S.
Old Rem trigger set to 1lbs by BPW.
Zero Laminated tactical stock finished by BPW.
Cordovan shoe dye for stock color (same I used to use on M-1 Garands)
Minwax poly clear spray can (this stuff is great really). Wet sanded and buffed about 12years ago (still looks good huh?)
Action fully bedded into stock by BPW with JB Weld (great for bedding BTW)
B & L Elite 4200 6-24 varmint scope with Leupold rings and EGW 20 MOA base.

This is my 308. It is the largest caliber I have, and never plan to get anything any bigger. This monster will hammer too. It will shoot legit .25" groups with 168 gr match loads (and it is not even bedded.

Rem 700 BDL Repeater
Bell and Carlson Tactical stock with aluminum bedding block
Bausch and Lomb Elite 4000 (original B & L) 6 x 24 x 44mm.
EGW 20 MOA scope rail

"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Bradley Walker » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:44 am

keltik wrote:here's a little .17HM2 i put together a few years ago, me and dad call it redheaded squirrel medicine

Bitchin... I have two Anschultz 22 LR bolt guns... I will post them when I get a chance.
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby keltik » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:48 am

so you are able to "fire form" your normal .223 cases up to the AI. I've always heard of guys doing this but was never sure.

That .308 you have there is (oYo)!

so what is your long action caliber in the "Super Gun"? I don't think you ever said.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby keltik » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:50 am

Bradley Walker wrote:
keltik wrote:here's a little .17HM2 i put together a few years ago, me and dad call it redheaded squirrel medicine

Bitchin... I have two Anschultz 22 LR bolt guns... I will post them when I get a chance.

thanks! you have TWO Anschültz rifles!!! are they both target grade? love to see some pics.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Bradley Walker » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:51 am

keltik wrote:so what is your long action caliber in the "Super Gun"? I don't think you ever said.

It is a short action.

Only two barrels so far. I think I am good.... I wanted one barrel for competition and one for practice. So, it looks like I am set. I may get a slower twist 6BR... but why? The thing already is shooting one hole groups.
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby keltik » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:25 am

I gotcha.

I don't think a slower twist 6mm BR would help anything, especially since you get one hole groups with the current bbl. I've always heard phenomenal things about the 7mm-08. you haven't really said what you do with this piece. I imagine you hand load also.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:52 am

keltik wrote:I gotcha.

I don't think a slower twist 6mm BR would help anything, especially since you get one hole groups with the current bbl. I've always heard phenomenal things about the 7mm-08. you haven't really said what you do with this piece. I imagine you hand load also.

I only shoot hand loads, except 22 LR (which the ammo sucks these days).
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby keltik » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:56 pm

have you ever tried Eley or Remington Match Grade? I've had great success with those. Hornady is also one of my favorites.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby SkaBob » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:06 am

All those purty guns make my new 10/22 look rather plain... :cry:
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby keltik » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:07 pm

SkaBob you could always slick out your 10/22. I've done three of mine.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... =cat602007

the volquartsen trigger kit is a good place to start.

EDIT: http://www.eabco.com/102201.html E. Arthur Brown Co. is a good place to start also

https://www.volquartsen.com/ and here is the Volquartsen site. they are considered the best 10/22 custom parts company.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby SkaBob » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:14 pm

I'm actually not likely to put much into my 10/22. I've seen what you can do with them, but it's mostly there to be my training rifle (it's my first firearm), so that I've got something to take to Appleseed next year. Beyond the mag release, possibly some tech sights, and one or two other cheap upgrades, I'm not likely to put much into it unless somewhere down the road I feel like putting more into it. That won't be until after I've gotten a pistol and a larger caliber rifle tricked out, though. .22 isn't practical for most of what I'd use a firearm for (hunting non-small game or personal defense), and I don't see myself getting into competition shooting.
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:41 pm

keltik wrote:have you ever tried Eley or Remington Match Grade? I've had great success with those. Hornady is also one of my favorites.

I have been shooting Eley for years.

The ammo that is just kicking ass in my Anny is SK Rifle Match. Still testing though.
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.