Pick One

Rubber Soul (1965)
50%
Revolver (1966)
50%

Total votes : 18

Rubber Soul or Revolver

Postby Timko » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:15 am

I've been on a Beatles kick for about 2 weeks now, and I've done a lot of reading about the composition of these 2 albums. George Martin (the Beatles producer) has often said these could have been released as a double album, since they join the Beatles mainstream pop music with the boundary pushing pop music later in their career. While there's considerable debate as to what the Beatles's album is, I seem to be transfixed with these 2 in particular.

Personally, I prefer the rock and psychedelic sound of Revolver over the folk sounds of Rubber Soul.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Re: Rubber Soul or Revolver

Postby Timko » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:18 am

I'd be interested to hear what some of the more "seasoned" folks on this board have to say about these 2 albums. I was exposed to these 30 years after their release, and imagine that listening to these when the Beatles were still a prominent figure in the music scene would have a drastic effect on one's opinion.
Timko

Postby what'shisname » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:21 am

Both are fantastic, but if I'm choosing one, I'm taking Rubber Soul.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby Timko » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:33 am

I'll totally agree that both are fantastic. Hell, Rubber Soul and Revolver are #3 and #5 on RS's 500 Best Albums of All Time, so we're picking between 2 prize fighters here.
Timko

Postby Dig It » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:34 am

I can't pick. I am a huge Beatles guy and I think these two albums are so great in their catalog of work. If the poll was choose you're two favorite Beatles albums I would have picked these two. This is when they we're going through their metamorphosis and I can't pick one over the other. I keep going over each albums songs in my head and keep finding one that is brilliant. Alright, gun to my head I choose Rubber Soul.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby Leopard » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:40 am

Definitely a big favorite of mine, that pair. Both oh so good, but Revolver strikes me most because it's more out-there. I was big into these for quite a while in school. I do a killer Norwegian Wood.. that and Blackbird, guaranteed crowd pleasers.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby Timko » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:41 am

Ted Damson wrote:Definitely a big favorite of mine, that pair. Both oh so good, but Revolver strikes me most because it's more out-there. I was big into these for quite a while in school. I do a killer Norwegian Wood.. that and Blackbird, guaranteed crowd pleasers.

Of all the McCartney ballads of that period, "For No One" is the one that really blows me out of the water, both from a composition and (especially) a lyrical standpoint. And I played horn for years in high school, and the notes the performer is hitting are just absurd. :)
Timko

Postby discspeed » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:56 pm

Revolver just kicks ass! I just love the guitar distortion in Taxman as the album opens up. Those sounds were pretty radical back then and I can't even imagine what it must have been like to put that record on for the first time compared to all the previous Beatles work. And then it ends with Tomorrow Never Knows with those hypnotic monks chanting and bass rhythms. I do wish the album were a bit longer (39 minutes or somethin?), but there is not a dull moment. I like Rubber Soul, but Revolver is probably my favorite listen of all the Beatles album (probably with Abbey Road as my second just because of the medley). Every track is epic.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby mark12b » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:04 pm

i'm older but not *that* old... i didn't start listening to them until i was in college in the '80s. i've asked my parents about how revolutionary stuff like this seemed back in the day, but they say they were busy starting a family at the time and didn't really pay attention to all that '60s stuff. :shock:

anyway, i love the psychedelic-ness of revolver but rubber soul takes the beatles slot on my list of desert-island discs.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Leopard » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:38 pm

discspeed wrote:(probably with Abbey Road as my second just because of the medley).

we JUST last night decided to learn that medley in its entirety. should be sweet
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Postby dgdave » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:07 pm

Revolver. Hands down. And Your Bird Can Sing is a GREAT riff. Taxman is also amazing, just like the whole damn thing.

I was born and raised on the fab four. I listend to them when I was still in my dad's ball sack.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby discspeed » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:06 pm

Ted Damson wrote:
discspeed wrote:(probably with Abbey Road as my second just because of the medley).

we JUST last night decided to learn that medley in its entirety. should be sweet

I've always thought that that would be the pinnacle of what any band could possibly cover. I used to play that arpeggio guitar riff to "One sweet dream...came true...today..." over and over and over completely captivated.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Working Stiff » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:13 pm

When I was in college Rubber Soul stood out, but I was more of a Stones guy than a Beatles guy so I think that makes sense. Still those albums were about 20 years old by then, so it is really hard to know what they sounded like new. It's hard to get blown away by albums that have songs on them you heard on the radio growing up.

If you get on a old Stones kick, start a thread. I can profusely pontificate on the Stones. Beatles, not so much.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby Leopard » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:40 pm

Related:
Anyone else listen to XM? Ch 59, Little Steven's Underground Garage. Lots of old rock and soul, up to modern alt rock. Ramones, Supremes, Buddy Holly, Stones, White Stripes.. gives a good picture. I've been digging this station for a couple months and it's a much less tired and repetitive playlist than other channels. There's a Sunday morning Beatles show, very cool. Andrew Loog (Stones' mngr) has a daily show and plays awesome old stuff.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:20 am

I'm one of the few that thinks the earlier the better, generally. That's because I think McCartney was the brains and talent behind that band, not Lennon. Lennon tended to be weird in his offerings because he couldn't handle the traditional approach like McCartney.....McCartney's solo stuff is often relegated to the "pop" category, but it 's a hell of alot better then what Lennon and Yoko came up with...strangely, when Lennon tried to be "poppy", it worked....songs like "woman" and "just like starting over" are 2 of his best! I do like the Billy Preston addition late in the Beatles carreer
"Strange women distributing swords from the bottom of ponds is no basis for a government"
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Moving Pictures?

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.