Anybody Here a Kiteboarder?

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Anybody Here a Kiteboarder?

Postby Flipflat » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:28 pm

My brother-in-law is into kiteboarding, and is looking for some kiteboarding DVDs for x-mas. I figured I'd hook him up, but there's a ton of kiteboarding DVD's out there, and I don't know what's good. Suggestions?
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Re: Anybody Here a Kiteboarder?

Postby rehder » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:37 am

I still kitesurf every now and then during the summer-time, but I dont really have time for it anymore. So I dont know what dvd's are hot atm. But while I was active (about 3 years ago), vids produced by "ACL Productions" where the hottest thing around. Tricks performed, visual side and production where better than pretty much anything else out there
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Flipflat » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:03 pm

Cool, thanks, I'll keep a look out for ACL videos. :D
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Postby colombo117 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:31 pm

Two brothers here in Traverse are world renowned. They started the company Broneah. I have always wanted to try it. People don't realize how awesome norther michigan is in the summer. The water and beaches up here rival some of the most exotic places in the world. Its super blue and clear and the beaches are sandy. The wind off lake michigan is wicked, perfect for kiteboarding. Then winter comes.
Here's one of the prettiest lakes in the world according to National Geogrphic Image

Torch Lake, salt free.
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Flipflat » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:10 pm

colombo117 wrote:Two brothers here in Traverse are world renowned. They started the company Broneah. I have always wanted to try it. People don't realize how awesome norther michigan is in the summer. The water and beaches up here rival some of the most exotic places in the world. Its super blue and clear and the beaches are sandy. The wind off lake michigan is wicked, perfect for kiteboarding. Then winter comes.
Here's one of the prettiest lakes in the world according to National Geogrphic Image

Torch Lake, salt free.

My brother-in-law and my sister live around those parts! Well, a little south (grand haven), but I do agree the beaches on the western side of michigan are beautiful. BTW- I went discgolfing up in traverse city last year, went to a awsome course that was partly on a ski resort. Loved the course, I think it was the top of hole 19 where you look down on the whole city before unleashing a 1,000 ft bomb down a ski run. Actually ran into a course designer while we were there, older guy by the name of Cal. Bearded, rolled with two dogs who knew the course as well as any local.

Big thread drift... :lol:
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Postby colombo117 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:26 am

Hickory hills is the name. If you ever come up PM me I'll show you around, I live two minutes from that course. We have some other nice ones up here as well. :)

Cal is an old hippy, he's designed many of the courses up here, he is a cool dude.
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby masterbeato » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:22 pm

what the hell is kiteboarding?
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby Flipflat » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:45 pm

masterbeato wrote:what the hell is kiteboarding?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODI85J8U ... F8&index=4
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Postby rehder » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:40 am

kiteboarding/kitesurfing basically evolved from windsurfing. Except you use a kite instead of a sail attached to your board. These days though, a kitesurf board is MUCH smaller than a windsurfing board, and there has been a tremendous amount of development in the kites themselves. I used to windsurf untill my van with all my windsurfing gear was stolen (3 boards, 5+ sails plus booms, masts and extras, about 16k$ worth gone)
It was cheaper to start kitesurfing, since you need less gear, and the gear itself is much more manageable, I dont need a van for it. Other than that it is also slightly easier to learn how to kitesurf, and with twintip boards that sail in forwards and backwards equally well, you dont have to tack or jybe (turning up against or down with the wind).

Anyway to make a long story short, the biggest draw for me was the amount of air you could get in jumps. (Btw. you dont need a ramp in kitesurfing to get a good jump, although it can help).

Those where good days. Almost makes me want to do it again. But then I remember the time spent of getting to the spot and setting gear up. And in that time alone, I would already have completed my first hour of discgolf.
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.