Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby disc junkie » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:34 pm

Watched AVATAR last night and I must saw it is the MOST visually stunning movie I have ever seen. The 3D along with the special effect is just Beautiful. Also the movie is really really good to boot. I admit I was skeptical at first but boy am I glad I let my fiance talk me into going
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Re: AVATAR - The Movie

Postby MR. WICK » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:38 pm

eh. I wasn't impressed. Like watching a video game I couldn't play. I expected more from the director. That scene from Terminator 2 still sticks in my head. You know where he shoots him in the head with the shotgun. That was ahead of it's time and pushing the limits of current technology. I don't think Avatar did that at all.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:40 pm

Dances with Aliens was OK.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby disc junkie » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:43 pm

Dances with Aliens - - - That right Der is Funny!

I guess Im just easily amused but I thought it was a great movie and fun to watch.
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby MR. WICK » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:44 pm

I still thought it was fun to watch. Saw it in 3d.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby some call me...tim? » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:44 pm

I saw it yesterday as well and I agree. And if you have the opportunity to see it in 3D, definitely do it. I rarely go out to the theaters anymore, but seeing features in 3D really do justify it.

I was recommending this flick to some DG buddies yesterday afterwards, and Chuck asked me "But is it really a good movie? Or just stunning effects?" Totally valid question, as most big budget special effects movies tend to suck (Transformers is one that pops readily to mind). This legitimately is a good movie. You could totally see how the story was going to end early on in the movie, but the ride to get there was more than worth it.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:49 pm

I didn't think it was bad but it after all the hype it's gotten for the past 10 years, it's not going to live up to what I was hoping for. It was entertaining and good but I just wouldn't rate it as a great movie.

Different strokes though, ya know?
Frank Delicious

Postby disc junkie » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:51 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:I didn't think it was bad but it after all the hype it's gotten for the past 10 years

damn, I must really be out of the loop as I only recently heard about the movie and I didnt even know it was 3D until we got to the theater. I guess I just spend so much time here on DGR that I forget about the outside world :lol:
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby AciDBatH666 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:57 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:Dances with Aliens was OK.

my thoughts exactly. The first thing my gf said when we left it was "that was just an updated dances with wolves. The cg is awesome, but I guess I just took it in and accepted it as a real world and then just accepted it as is. Which meant the story had to take over since the cg world became the "norm". The story was ok. Not great but good.
I was expecting more from the last 40 minutes tho. I read it was just insane effects in the battle sequence. It was good, but I didn't leave the theater thinking that it was so awesome I wanted to nut my pants or anything.
I'd go see it again if a friend wanted to. I didn't hate it or anything. But it wasn't as bad assed as I was expecting it to be.

Disc junkie, it's not all 3d. At theaters here they had a lot of places that had the regular version and the 3d version. And I don't think the whole movie was in 3d. Could be wrong tho
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby some call me...tim? » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:59 pm

Yeah, somehow I was out of the loop on this movie too, and didn't really hear about it until I think I saw it in a preview. It's not the movie to end all movies, for sure, but I felt like it was money well spent at the theater, which isn't something I'll always say.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby some call me...tim? » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:01 pm

AciDBatH666 wrote:Disc junkie, it's not all 3d. At theaters here they had a lot of places that had the regular version and the 3d version. And I don't think the whole movie was in 3d. Could be wrong tho

Yeah, the whole thing was in 3D. There's also an IMAX version, though you have to make sure you're seeing it in a real IMAX theater not just "IMAX approved" or whatever. I saw one of the Harry Potter movies in 3D, but it was just like the last 20 minutes or so that was 3D. THAT was lame, and not worth the money.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:02 pm

10 years was a bit of hyperbole but I feel like that movie has been being made forever.

edit (maybe it's not hyperbole):

Avatar had been in development since 1994 by Cameron, who wrote a 114-page scriptment for the film.[5] Filming was supposed to take place after the completion of Titanic, and the film would have been released in 1999, but according to Cameron, "technology needed to catch up" with his vision of the film.[6][7] In early 2006, Cameron developed the script, the language, and the culture of Pandora.[8] He has stated that if Avatar is successful, two sequels to the film are planned
Frank Delicious

Postby disc junkie » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:03 pm

some call me...tim? wrote:Yeah, somehow I was out of the loop on this movie too, and didn't really hear about it until I think I saw it in a preview. It's not the movie to end all movies, for sure, but I felt like it was money well spent at the theater, which isn't something I'll always say.

agreed. I guess I am overly excited that I finally left the theater totally happy about the money spent and the experience. Also I thought I clarified that I saw it in 3D but if I didnt well there ya go.

As a side note there was a 3D preview of Alice in Wonderland and I will admit even though I was very skeptical of this movie when I first heard about it after seeing the 3D trailer Im actually pretty damn excited to see it.

With all of these 3D movies coming out Im starting to really njoy the theater again. Except for the stupid Pirahna remake coming out :roll:
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby discspeed » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:52 pm

I just saw it in 3D and I thought it was pretty damn cool. It was the best cinema experience I've had since the LOTR movies. Although...we all KNOW humans would come back with nukes and kill every living thing on the planet.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Jesse B 707 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:21 pm

i had super low expectations but by the time it was done i was speechless, movie was flat out epic
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.