Which Band....

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Which Band....

Postby Parks » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:44 am

Back on topic: it depends on the criteria.

Being on a desert island, you might want uniqueness. You could pick all of Robert Pollard's recorded work, and by the time you listened to the whole thing you'd probably be off the island. He can write 5 songs on the shitter, and 3 of them will be good. Just the Guided by Voices stuff alone could give a ton of quality music to cure the boredom.

Just my favorite band, then I'd take Modest Mouse. The Lonesome Crowded West is both nostalgic for me and fanstastic, while The Moon and Antarctica is a damn near unimpeachable album. Their other stuff works well in a mix, too. Throw in live recordings, and it can induce feeling on an island where desolation and loneliness are prevalent.

However, with live recordings, the possibilities get interesting. A lot of people would take the Dead, Phish, or some other jam band. Or maybe someone like Hendrix that had a lot of improv and passion. I'd maybe go with Pearl Jam. Many years of live shows, a fair amount of jamming, stage banter, and just good group energy in general.

There's a few other artists that I would consider, but those are probably my top three.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Leopard » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:56 am

Parks wrote:They cited Failure as their biggest influence.

I'll have to check them out. I think Failure is pretty huge among good bands. Definitely mine and my co-writer's main influence; we have others but just enough to keep from inbreeding. Fantastic Planet is the reason I majored in drawing and not music or audio engineering... they don't teach stuff like that in audio or music school, you gotta build it from other sensibilities. Not to over-praise Failure or make this all me me me, but I basically could give a f'k about art, and if you really tore apart my drawing style and concepts, it's all about ultra textural line, a contrast of expansive and compressed space, and psychological tension, and that is 100% from my dissected-through-visual-art-constructs perspective of Failure, and specifically Magnified and Fantastic Planet, as those were the most self-produced albums. IMO some of the best modern art in existence, and the most study-worthy music made in our lifetime. Fantastic Planet ruins music you thought was good.

The shit changed my life so I'm a little enthusiastic about it :)

... to topic...
Pollard; YES.
Hendrix; YES.
Mouse; that's respectable
i'd take PJ as my desert island house band, sure. they'd keep admission low, and it'd feel like there were some women around
:lol: that was cold but eddie made me do that to him!

another few...
Beatles catalog would definitely be charming
Mr. Bungle - California ... could get me by for a while
Ween ... if there were some toxins to be found on the island
Primus would be fun
i could learn to stomach Phish on an extended basis, i guess
so long as i had a recording of every funny thought that ever crossed their mind, i could go with each of Hedberg, Hicks, Maria Bamford, and Eugene Mirman (i smell a new thread)
and the single for What's New Pussycat? ... for assisted suicide, if it looked hopeless
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby colombo117 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:51 am

Zam, have you ever watched the movie "Fantastic Planet"? It's a good one.
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Jerrod » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:04 am

Hendrix with most played being Axis:Bold as Love.

Sigur Rós would be my back up choice.
Coyote Point Local
Jerrod
Tree Magnet

Postby MotoDj » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:17 pm

i'm gonna have to throw my vote for Fiji Mariners, for some reason they just get me groovin like no other, woulda loved to see them live
MotoDj
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: i carry 6 favorites

Postby Leopard » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:22 pm

colombo117 wrote:Zam, have you ever watched the movie "Fantastic Planet"? It's a good one.

Never have .. but I see there's some DVD availability, I'll have to check it out
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby Jesse B 707 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:10 pm

Dig It wrote:I am saying Beck. So much great stuff.

yeah this is a strong choice, have you heard the cover he did of the whole Velvet Underground & Nico album? shit is so cash
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Jazziator » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:48 pm

Astrud Gilberto!!!!!!! Her voice is incredible and just sooo SAD!!! Plus its Bossa Nova itll really set the mood for that desert isle...
OR Karl Denson hes got some jams..
Particle would be cool because their songs stretch 20 mins + Jams band..... love em!
The only jazz album I wouldnt bring would be Miles davis' Bitches brew, there was just too much heroin envolved with that whole album and I would probably end up carrying a dead fish around whom I named it wilson. the fish of course would be a mirage because im on a desert I would really be holding my own stool!

and I read a lot of people like ween??? I got interested and tried to go listen to some of there stuff and maybe im just a jazz head but i couldnt take it... Im sure a lot of people dont like the music im listening too but some of the songs just sounded like a fat kid looking out a window contemplating suicide whilst having a rubber band tied around his balls!!!

Like Little Birdy???? maybe ill start singing that song when I make birdies now...
Disc Golf... Its like UFO'S but without the Mercury Therafluid and Ionic Plasmic Gas
Jazziator
Noob

Favorite Disc: 174 Z Force

Postby colombo117 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:08 pm

Yeah, Ween has some great songs, but I had a friend that was way into them and every time I was around him it was all about getting f-up, listening and talking about how awesome ween was, then my friend started doing acid hardcore and the Ween listening just got more intense and he pretty much just fell apart mentally. So, when I hear ween I think of the friend that I lost to drugs. Don't do alot of acid kids!

Pearl Jam would probably be the band I would want, they have a great catalog of music and their live stuff is pretty cool.

Lard would be fun to have around.

Gilberto's voice is awesome. I love the Gilberto/Getz Album on a hot day in the sun with a drink and that smooth sax. I wouldn't mind some Freddy Hubbard or Monk either.
It's a tough choice.
Jazz would probably keep me sane longer. :D
Last edited by colombo117 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Postby colombo117 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:20 pm

Ted Damson wrote:
colombo117 wrote:Zam, have you ever watched the movie "Fantastic Planet"? It's a good one.

Never have .. but I see there's some DVD availability, I'll have to check it out

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3064984200803032304#docid=-88433298109198547

Here's a five minute preview. It's a french movie that won the cannes film award. My uncle bought it for my brother and I when we were five and three. :?
Its about humans that are pets to an alien people. I would suggest watching it on shr++ms. 8)
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Bugbee » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:24 pm

Talking Heads. Lots of good stuff with a good amount of variety.
Bugbee
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: 174g Z Predator

Postby Jwt4412 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:40 pm

Sinatra
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby mzuleger » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:11 am

Frank Delicious wrote:NOFX cuz I'm punk like that.

Nice! Punk in Drublic was the first punk record I bought that really changed my taste in music!

I think any band's catalog would get really old really fast for me. If I had to choose right now I'd take Avenged Sevenfold (and would regret it after a week I'm sure).

As long as I can bring an acoustic guitar I'd be ok though.
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

Postby Jesse B 707 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:08 pm

A challenger appears!!!
Buckethead is making a run towards the top of my list lately, 20+ albums spanning multiple genres and ALL of them are fairly amazing
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Dig It » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:33 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:
Dig It wrote:I am saying Beck. So much great stuff.

yeah this is a strong choice, have you heard the cover he did of the whole Velvet Underground & Nico album? shit is so cash

I have not, but I want to hear it. I will have to start looking around for it.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.