kegerator questions

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

kegerator questions

Postby BrotherDave » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:48 am

My dad and I are getting tired of buying beer and dealing with the cans and bottles. So, we're thinking of getting a kegerator.

Questions:
1) How long will a keg of beer stay drinkable?
2) Difference between CO2 and NO2 set ups?
3) I have a sixth barrel/torpedo keg that a friend gave me, can I use them in a kegerator?
4) Anything else I should know?

I know we have some drinkers on here, don't fail me now boys. :D
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Re: kegerator questions

Postby MotoDj » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:00 am

1 as long as it dont get shook around, a keg should stay "fresh' for weeks, if not months (remember to let keg sit for a few hours b4 tapping if it got shaken getting it home, helps alot with the foam, and freshness)
2 not sure, bars i've worked at and kegerators i've done have all been co2, wonder if no2 would keep it fresher??
3 ugh...pass...
4 when your setting it up for the first time, the hardest thing to do is dial the pressure in correctly, most have bleeder valves to let pressure out, buy the gauge its worth the extra dough, keep the line as short as possible, you dont wanna have to run a few beers in the drain to get the cold fresh beer out (like turning the hot water on and waiting for the water to get hot...)

and most importantly, make sure the tap is high enough to set a pitcher underneath... makes it easier for get togethers, the "fridges" i seen at the store are just tall enough for a pint glass - major pain even if u have "brutus" glasses
MotoDj
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: i carry 6 favorites

Postby Jaysus » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:39 pm

MotoDj wrote:4 when your setting it up for the first time, the hardest thing to do is dial the pressure in correctly, most have bleeder valves to let pressure out, buy the gauge its worth the extra dough, keep the line as short as possible, you dont wanna have to run a few beers in the drain to get the cold fresh beer out (like turning the hot water on and waiting for the water to get hot...)

I would recommend the exact opposite of the bold part above. There are several keg system balancing calculators available on the web for free... all of them will suggest longer beer line.
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby colombo117 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:50 pm

BrotherDave wrote:My dad and I are getting tired of buying beer and dealing with the cans and bottles. So, we're thinking of getting a kegerator.

Questions:
3) I have a sixth barrel/torpedo keg that a friend gave me, can I use them in a kegerator?

I know we have some drinkers on here, don't fail me now boys. :D

This forum has all the info you will need. It is more geared towards homebrew, but the info is the same.
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=45041638938bb540522dab4402a71964
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby lefty-hyzer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:33 pm

1) can last months if your setup is proper/clean
2) C02 is probably what you'll go with, N02 is only used when C02 doesn't sustain the appropriate pressure.
3) yes
4) make sure the establishment you get your kegs from keeps them chilled at all times, and is sanitary. clean main lines make a huge difference.
lefty-hyzer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: got a few

Postby plastic_fondler » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:13 pm

Questions:

A keg can last a month easy with proper control of temps.

This only has to do with how you want to serve your selection. Most beer is served on draught as CO2. Guinness is an example of something on nitro. You could have both with only one being used at a time or two taps/kegs in use.

Yes...most kegerators take half, quarter and the minis. Each brand will tell you how many it can take. You will not be able to re-use that keg though without proper cleaning and access to the source. I'd just trade it in for a few bucks or a deposit.

You might want to consider a second CO2 tank for keeping a backup. Its a pain when the CO2 goes...as this isn't as easy as getting a new keg. Usually it takes a few days to a week to fill a CO2 tank if your using a homebrew or bar. I'd suggest getting a low end kegerator and focusing on CO2 and full size half kegs. That size kegs is where you will save money. The 5 gallon ones are nice as you can have two online if you have two taps...but their price isn't as good.

Enjoy...and one other note...you can make old refrigerators into kegeraters pretty easy. Bad electrical consumption compared to a real one though.
plastic_fondler
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: firebird

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.