LCD TV Screen Burn in

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: LCD TV Screen Burn in

Postby Blake_T » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:45 pm

here's pictures of it. that line marks where the edge of where the 4:3 ratio box is.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Lithicon » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:04 pm

Yeah, that second pic really shows it well. Just wondering if you've seen it fade at all over this time? If not, it's quite possible it is irreversible. As far as I know, you could still try laying it down. Just ensure that if it's on the floor or anything, that there is nothing that can physically touch the screen. It's worth a try, I'm not sure what else could fix it at this point.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Dart

Postby Blake_T » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:46 pm

i ran a jscreenfix vid for like 3 hours today.

it seems to have gotten a bit smaller since yesterday but it could just be wishful thinking.
Blake_T

Postby Blake_T » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:50 am

it seems to be fading (getting less apparent). i've been running jscreenfix when i have a few hours to let it go. it might just be fading on its own, or that might be helping, not really sure since i don't have a control. at this rate it will hopefully be gone in 2-3 weeks, but man, this is going to be a pain if it creeps up every time i start watching 4:3 SD content.
Blake_T

Postby Lithicon » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:00 am

Yeah, I agree. It is a pain in the ass if it keeps coming back. I really want to say it will go away on it's own as my tv usually does go away. As long as you don't let it just sit on the same screen, it shouldn't keep returning often.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:47 am

cool. so you think it's more related to the fact that it was a static 4:3 frame than using almost solely 4:3 sources?
Blake_T

Postby Roy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:59 am

Did you try calling Sony? Maybe it's a problem that they know about and have a solution for.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Blake_T » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:55 am

i haven't called them. i bought the tv used and i'm not sure what they'll say as it was partly negligence on my part that caused it. they also generally don't want to give away some of the secret techniques like a hard reset of the tv or how to adjust the vertical/horizontal placement of the tv.

i realized today just how finicky this tv is going to be. i had been using a stretched wide zoom on 4:3 content that still left about a 3/4" black border on both the left and right edges and today when i fired the tv up i noticed that the big burn in line was more faint but there was a new thin burn in line was visible where the zoomed picture ended 3/4" from the edge. that and i got a phone call and paused a game for 20 minutes and it left traces of the pause menu burned in that luckily faded after a couple of hours turned off.

debating switching my tube tv back for games and using this for actual tv/movies only.
Blake_T

Postby Roy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:21 am

I had a Panasonic tube TV that had a really dark picture. I found out there was a "serviceman mode" that was very complex, but you could mess with more settings then I even knew existed.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby sunspot » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:13 am

I know that they are more expensive, but have you looked into getting a LED T.V.? I've heard they are better quality and, if I'm not mistaken, they don't have those "burn in" characteristics like plasmas have. If I had the money to drop I would get a LED.

Maybe I need to make a thread to see if someone will donate a LED T.V. :lol:
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby lefty-hyzer » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:17 am

HD DLP projectors are the best bang for the buck...

my ps3 is played on a 8' diagonal screen, that supports 1080p...but i hardly ever use it :?

Blake, it's easy to adjust the image, i can tell you how to do that. good luck with sony support, they are horrible...

edit: i have an extra lying around if anyone is interested.
lefty-hyzer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: got a few

Postby Lithicon » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:06 pm

Yeah, the game pausing still burns in on mine as I said before. And, as you noted usually fades after hours of use, or disuse.
That doesn't worry me as much as the aspect lines burning in. I've never seen that, although I rarely change aspect ratio's on my tv also. Only time I notice the aspect is if a movie is being converted from normal to widescreen. (This usually only happens on like cable programming or something.) it'll leave the black bars on top and bottom. But, those have never burned in. Which doesn't seem to be the case for you, I can't see how or why it's doing that, lol.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Postby lefty-hyzer » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:14 pm

it doesn't have a "screen saver" feature?
lefty-hyzer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: got a few

Postby Flipflat » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:39 pm

I know nothing about this stuff, but these guys do: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/
Some call me...Tim? Referred this site to me when I was researching HD TV's, he described it as "the DGR of audio/video sites". I agree, there's a ton of info there, I'd post those pics there and see what those guys think.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby Blake_T » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:03 pm

Blake, it's easy to adjust the image, i can tell you how to do that. good luck with sony support, they are horrible...

if you could give me a step by step it'd be much appreciated.

the model is a sony kdl 26m4000

i know sony support sucks. luckily i've only had to use them once or twice before as most of my sony components have lasted 15+ years. the last time i had to deal with them was with a brand new elite series SACD player that i bought that had a bad laser out of the box. it would play the first 57 seconds of track 1 on each disc before skipping to the next disc. the two options i was given was to pay shipping both ways to send it to them or drive 27 miles to drop it off at the closest authorized support center.

i have a 99% guess that if i call them about the tv i will be given those two same options again.
Blake_T

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.