Good Eats.

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Good Eats.

Postby sunspot » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:23 am

I recently watch a program on the Travel channel that listed the top 100 places to eat in America (Chopdown Countdown). I found out that Louisville has a place called Lynn's Paradise, where it's known to have good breakfast items, specifically the french toast. We can't wait to try it out.

What are some good eats in your area?
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Re: Good Eats.

Postby lefty-hyzer » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:25 am

The Fresh Market, and my grill, ftw!
lefty-hyzer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: got a few

Postby sunspot » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:27 am

Speaking of that countdown, one of the restaurants that made the top five was Salt Lick in Austin. My cousin had her wedding reception catered by them and it was great.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby SkaBob » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:28 am

Absolute best thai food I've ever had (and I've been to over 80 thai places spread among 2 countries) is Pi's Thai in Hazel Park Michigan.

Then there's this great place call The Fly Trap in Ferndale, Michigan that not only has fantastic food (try their mac n' cheese if you're ever over there), but they play ska all the time on their radio...so like, that's mega bonus points with me! :D
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Booter » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:35 am

sunspot wrote:Speaking of that countdown, one of the restaurants that made the top five was Salt Lick in Austin. My cousin had her wedding reception catered by them and it was great.

qft. Salt lick bbq is by far the best I've eatin here in austin.$20 all you an eat buffect bbq with sides and watever is left on your table,you can take home with you. Round rock donuts was on that countdown too. Both really good places to eat. Especially that bucket sized donut lol

edit: I don't know if this place made the countdown,didn't watch it all,but don juan tacos in austin is great too especially if you love breakfast tacos. The don juan taco is huge. Almost a plate full is just 1 taco. It was on that man vs food one episode
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby Timko » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:00 am

I just went to one of the highest rated restaraunts in KC last week, Piropos. It's an Argintiniean grill. Fantastic; I had Crab Bisque, Pork with Sweet Potatoes and Spinach, and a dessert made with bananas. We went during KC Restaraunt week; so it was a fixed menu for $30. That's more than half off what it normally costs to eat there.

Other nice places to eat (that I've been to):
The Majestic Steakhouse (steak)
Capital Grill (American)
Le Feu Frog (French)
Extra Virigin (Tapas Bar)

Other really good places to eat
Mamas (Diner)
Chubbys (Diner)
Town Topic (Burgers)
Jazz (Cajun)
Blue Koi (Chinese Fusion)

And, of course, we have a little BBQ here. My top 3:
LCs
Oklahoma Joes
Aurthur Bryants
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Luke » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:35 am

Buckhorn Tavern in San Antonio, New Mexico.
Luke
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Robin Hood » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:00 pm

Slow's BBQ in Detroit.
Sweet Lorraine in Southfield.
Force/Tracker/Hornet/Buzzz/Comet/Zone/Challenger
Robin Hood
Tree Magnet

Postby pointdisc » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:01 pm

Black Bear Bar. Minocqua, WI - burgers

Best burger I've ever had plus they have a live blues band every saturday. If you ever get up to play the Northwoods Open at Sandy Point, stop here & enjoy (just down HWY 70 too!).
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby Jesse B 707 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:07 pm

i'll list a few of my favorites in my area

Fremont Diner (Sonoma CA) this place is amazing! high end southern style diner food if that makes any sense :? their whole hog sandwich is the best pulled pork concoction ive ever had and im a serious pulled pork fanatic, their breakfast dishes are amazing too

Superburger (Santa Rosa CA) best burger in town hands down, if you ever make it there dont pass up the St Helena ave burger (bacon, onion rings and some of the best BBQ sauce ive ever had)

Thai Ginger Bistro (Petaluma CA) Thai/Cali fusion dishes with just the right amount of traditionalism and flair mixed in, their pumpkin curry and tapioca deserts are flat out amazing.

Squeeze in Burger (Napa CA) best burger in Norcal for my money, they do this thing with the cheese where they caramelize a big halo of it around the outside of your burger :shock: flavor is to die for

El Farolito (Santa Rosa/Rohnert Park CA) most consistent and best bang for your buck as far as Mexican places in sonoma county are concerned (protip, their pollo is 10x better than any of their other meats)

Tommy's Joint (SF CA) super popular roast haus joint in the heart of Frisco, open late and always good.......shockingly good place to find hot girls too.

Carlos' Country Kitchen (Santa Rosa CA) best breakfast place in town (parkside cafe gets honorable mention).....the HUGE portions and friendly service help too, Carlos is my homeboy.

Mulberry Street (Novato CA) gourmet pizza at its best, their prize winning mushroom pizza with red wine reduction is flat out fucking amazing, not bad pricing for what you get either

Himalayan Tandori and Curry house (Sebastopol CA) some of the best indian food in the county hands down, their tikka masala is a thing to behold

OVERRATED PLACES THAT ARE SECRETLY SHIT (i will be adding to this list as they come to mind)

Tex Wasabi's (Santa Rosa CA) if you know who Guy Fieri is you know he's a huge douche.....now just imagine the restaurant embodiment of him (its his place), Packed to the gills with orange girls and aging retards sporting the newest in Ed Hardy gear and the oldest of cliche sailor Jerry style tattoos, this place is to be avoided like the plague
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby zj1002 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:15 pm

booter wrote:
sunspot wrote:Speaking of that countdown, one of the restaurants that made the top five was Salt Lick in Austin. My cousin had her wedding reception catered by them and it was great.

qft. Salt lick bbq is by far the best I've eatin here in austin.$20 all you an eat buffect bbq with sides and watever is left on your table,you can take home with you. Round rock donuts was on that countdown too. Both really good places to eat. Especially that bucket sized donut lol.

oh my love for the Salt Lick is never ending. Last time I went there the day started out at Twin Parks. Played both courses and then finished the day up with a trip to the Salt Lick. You also forgot to mention that salt lick is BYOB which makes it even better.
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Booter » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:16 pm

zj1002 wrote:
booter wrote:

qft. Salt lick bbq is by far the best I've eatin here in austin.$20 all you an eat buffect bbq with sides and watever is left on your table,you can take home with you. Round rock donuts was on that countdown too. Both really good places to eat. Especially that bucket sized donut lol.

oh my love for the Salt Lick is never ending. Last time I went there the day started out at Twin Parks. Played both courses and then finished the day up with a trip to the Salt Lick. You also forgot to mention that salt lick is BYOB which makes it even better.

yes i completely forgot about that! that would explain why i love it even more. the one in rr is good but the OG SL is better.
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby SkaBob » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:26 pm

Robin Hood wrote:Slow's BBQ in Detroit.
Sweet Lorraine in Southfield.

There're Sweet Loraines all around town, now. There's one down by Tom's Oyster bar downtown.

Oh also:
Bakers (one of the oldest jazz clubs still in existence) in Detroit
and
Cliff Bell's (another great jazz club downtown)

Both have such absolutely phenomenal soul food and tasty vittles and great music to go along with them! Not to mention that Cliff Bell's apparently has a primo selection of beers
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Postby AciDBatH666 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:48 pm

Last time I was in Austin to visit my friend he took us to the salt lick. Were (me and my gf) going back around memorial day weekend, and for a weekend with the guys around the same time. We hit up Austin around 2-3 times a year. I'm gonna make him bring us back next time we go.

As far as good places to eat, my city has got one of the highest restaurants per capita in the nation. We've got tons of creole and seafood places at nearly every part of town. I'm not the biggest seafood guy out there, but I do like it every once in a while. I'll have to get a list together when I get a chance on my desktop and not on my iPhone.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby Robin Hood » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:11 pm

SkaBob wrote:Bakers (one of the oldest jazz clubs still in existence) in Detroit
and
Cliff Bell's (another great jazz club downtown)

Both have such absolutely phenomenal soul food and tasty vittles and great music to go along with them! Not to mention that Cliff Bell's apparently has a primo selection of beers

My favorite place downtown closed years ago. The Music Menu mow Mosaic. the Menu had amazing creole food and always the best local blues(sometimes not so local(saw a secret buddy guy show there). Sucks that it's gone.
Force/Tracker/Hornet/Buzzz/Comet/Zone/Challenger
Robin Hood
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.